Wollensak 15" f5.6 Tele - Disassembly?

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Fotoguy20d, Aug 30, 2009.

1. Fotoguy20d

Fotoguy20d Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Can anyone tell me how to disassemble one of these lenses? I either got a great deal or a $27 (shipped) paperweight. There's definitely some fungus in there so if I can't get it apart, paperweight it is.

It'll probably be a week before I get the lens but I want to get it up and running, if possible, as soon as I can.

Thanks,
    Dan

Attached Files:

2. archphoto

archphoto Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    It does not look good for shure.
    You better wait untill you have the lens in your hands, than start making pictures of it before you do anything and then start unscrewing.
    When you have problems with last item, the unsrewing, ask again.

Peter

3. PHOTOTONE

PHOTOTONE Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    That ring on the front with the 2 notches in it, unscrews and allows you to remove the front element. A lens spanner wrench is suggested.

4. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    hi dan

i think the back element is removed the same way ..

sk grimes sells the best spanner wrench you can find ..
    they aren't cheap, but worth it!

john

5. Fotoguy20d

Fotoguy20d Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    So far it sounds like all I need is a lens spanner, which I do have (albeit a cheap chinese set, but they've been working okay so far). I figured if I needed something special I'd get it now but maybe I'll be okay without further investment.

Dan

6. spongeboy

spongeboy Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    how did you go?
    Am very late in my reply, but just in case you didn't progress, or others have the same problem: There are a few tiny grub screws hiding in the grooves of the barrel you have to find and undo first. After that it'll separate nicely and fit straight into an Alphax/Betax #4.

7. Fotoguy20d

Fotoguy20d Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Thanks. I did manage to get it apart and cleaned up - it turned out to be more dirty than anything else, although has some scarring from fungus. I've actually ended up with three of these lenses (this is the worst of the bunch) so I'm going to try disassembling this one as you suggest and see if I can get it into a spare Betax #4 that I have.

Dan