WOOD TRIPOD FOR DEARDORFF?

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by ruilourosa, Aug 26, 2011.

1. ruilourosa

ruilourosa Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hello

got a deardorff and need a tripod to match, preferably wood plus a pan and tilt head. Berlebach seems nice, any other choices? for tripod and head? i do not need much flexibility nor height.

thanks

Rui Lourosa

2. jk0592

jk0592 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  3. John Koehrer

John Koehrer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    There are also Zone Vl and Ries but would be expensive to ship. Both Berlebach and Wolf have good reputations.

4. Klainmeister

Klainmeister Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    AHHH ALL CAPS!!!!

5. c6h6o3

c6h6o3 Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    If you can afford a 'dorff you're probably well heeled enough to afford a Ries. There's just nothing like them. Mine transformed the way I photograph. It's one of the few products that's horrifyingly expensive but worth every nickel. Be sure to get a Ries head if you buy one.

I would stay away from Zone VI. I had one with a Manfrotto head and hated it. They're heavy, take up too much car trunk real estate and are extremely clumsy to carry. With my Ries J600 tripod (which comes with it's own canvas carrying case) and J250 head slung over my shoulder and my 8x10 and lenses in my backpack, I'm good for at least 3 miles. And I'm a geezer.