Working w/ Warmtone

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by PhotoBob, Jul 19, 2012.

1. PhotoBob

PhotoBob Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Is it necessary to develop Ilford Warmtone fibre paper in the Ilford warmtone developer or can I get the same results with other developers?
    Thanks

2. R.Gould

R.Gould Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I used to develop the Ilford warmtone in Fotospeed wt10 diluted at 1/19 for 3 minutes abd go a much warmer result.
    Richard

3. Simon R Galley

Simon R Galley Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Dear Photobob,

No you do not need to use warmtone dev, nor indeed do you need to use ony ILFORD dev, lots of threads on APUG about peoples preferred paper dev's ( and film dev's obviously ) you have a range of dev's that alter image colour and lots of dev's that people use for a range of requirements such as keeping properties or cost, as always, research, experiment and find what works for you and your images.

Simon ILFORD photo / HARMAN technology Limited :

4. Bob Carnie

Bob Carnie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    I am currently mixing a Dektol formula with some ilford multigrade... long story .. but it works nicely with Ilford Warmtone, Galerie and Art 300, my papers of choice.

5. Mike Wilde

Mike Wilde Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Adding potassium bromide to almost any stock developer will yiled a warmer image tone. If you are not familiar with working with raw chemicals, look to the Photgraphers Formulary web site, since you are NA based.

6. Toffle

Toffle Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I get excellent results with Ilford WT in Caffenol, a different and fun way of printing. I've done some pseudo-lith printing (following the lith methods, but no infectious dev... just waiting until the blacks are right to pull the print) with both the FB and RC papers, and the results are promising, if not true lith. I'd love to try this with some more lith-able papers to see if I can get more of a lith feel.

A few years ago I experimented adding KBr to Caffenol, but it appears rather than acting as a restrainer, it pretty much shut down the process and wasted several sheets of paper before I gave it up.

But I digress... Ilford WT are lovely papers, and if you like a particular developer, have at it.

Cheers,
    Tom

7. Shawn Dougherty

Shawn Dougherty Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I have seen wonderful results from Ilford Warmtone paper developed in their warmtone developer. I personally use PF130 diluted 1:1 and love the results, including the nice warm color.

8. Thomas Bertilsson

Thomas Bertilsson Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    When you use different developers with a certain paper, you will see that the developer itself, as well as its dilution and temperature, will not only change the tonality of the print, but also the color.
    I recommend starting with a paper developer that's easy for you to obtain on a consistent basis. Try it and see if you like it. If you don't like it, pinpoint what you don't like, and you can either try to correct it by toning the print, or using a different dilution of your developer, or finally try a different developer.

It sounds a lot more complicated than it is. It's best to dive in and get started, to see with your own eyes what the effects are.

9. nworth

nworth Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Warmtone papers are more sensitive to the developer you use than are coldtone papers. While you can use a coldtone developer with Ilford WT paper, the results will be only slightly warmer than those with the coldtone paper. (Ilford WT is not very warmtone in any case.) With various warmtone developers you are likely to get a variety of warmer tone results.

10. Newt_on_Swings

Newt_on_Swings Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You can get warmtone results with non warmtone paper with dilute lpd or very old/ used up lpd. It's an interesting look and it might save you a bit in $$. Admittedly I prefer a neutral to colder tone, and have only used one box of warmtone paper.