Working with large scale paper for full body photograms...

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by reema, Apr 23, 2013.

1. reema

reema Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hi there - i'm hoping this is posted in the right place!
    I'm looking to produce some full body photograms and wondering if anyone can offer any advice on the process. I have never worked with paper so big. I will be buying a roll, which will give me just about enough images as i am hoping for but not much paper left for experimenting (making mistakes!). I am planning to cut the b/w paper in the dark room with a paper cutter at approx 185cm high and about 85cm wide and to expose the paper against a wall.... Hoping to hang the piece from clips and perhaps clips at the bottom to weigh the paper down (?) The part i'm a little concerned about is the processing - i was thinking to apply the developer/ stop bath / fix via a mop and bucket - has anyone done anything similiar? and wash the prints in a large dark room sink. Is there anything else i should be thinking about or have overlooked. Any advice? Recommendations gladly received!

2. George Collier

George Collier Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You can find threads on this forum, or the Enlarging forum, on processing large prints - do a search for similar phrases. One method is to use simple troughs, like paper hangers use (you can find them at Lowes, Home Depot, etc) with glue - you "rock" or "see saw" the prints from one end to another, maybe with a helper for this long a piece (processing time will be longer than usual). You can set them on the floor, and they don't take a lot of space. Washing would be another thing, probably would depend on how long they need to last. Do some searches for "processing extra large prints", or processing roll paper. I wouldn't recommend mopping, too hard to keep uniform.
    Bob Carnie might have a suggestion for you if he sees this.

3. polyglot

polyglot Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    "mural processing" are probably the search terms you're looking for.

But yes, the mop method is sometimes used, as are troughs that you cycle the paper through. If you use FB, it's going to be very hard to handle!

4. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    hi there,

you might consider getting paper and coating it with cyanotype chemistry instead of using traditional photo paper ...
    the images will expose in the sun and you just rinse in running water ...

much easier and much cheaper :smile:

have fun !
    john

5. Barry S

Barry S Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I second this idea. Cyanotype photograms are beautiful and will cost a small fraction of a mural roll of photo paper. Even if you've never done any alt process before, you can do a very good cyanotype with very little practice. You can use paper or fabric.

6. jnanian

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    i have done workshops with grammar school kids ( 2nd , 4th and 5th grade ) and they made some of the most beautiful 1st try photograms i have ever seen !
    definitely--- no experience is necessary :smile:

john

7. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    John, in this very case body contact with the sensitized paper will be made. This might cause problems with sweaty skin by Irritation.
    In case of doubt use transparent kitchen foil as seperation.

8. mfohl

mfohl Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I thought I heard a long time ago that cyanotype materials were toxic. Would this be an issue?

9. dorff

dorff Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Short answer: No. The toxicity of the traditional cyanotype process is very low, and skin contact with dry material is unlikely to cause any harmful effect. The new process contains oxalate which is more toxic, but it is more expensive and onerous to make, and not practical for large sheets of linen or paper. So one presumes the original will be used, and then it is not much of an issue at all. Avoid dichromate, as it is significantly toxic.

10. jnanian

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    exactly !
    clothes would help too :smile:

john

11. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    "full body photograms" may mean different things to different people...

12. jnanian

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    hi agx

i was thinking more like what christian nze had done several years ago
    http://www.apug.org/gallery1/showimage.php?i=44529&catid=member&imageuser=1755
    i'm not sure if it is posted anywhere else but here, ... its pretty big, blue and cool :smile:

but i know what you mean ...
    suggesting saran / plastic kitchen wrap would look great ... and add another layer of texture, almost-waterlike where it creases ..