Workshop and Exhibition by Sandy King in Turkey

Discussion in 'Workshops & Lectures' started by sanking, Aug 15, 2006.

1. sanking

sanking Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I will be participating in an exhibition of photography at the 1st IFSAK International Biennial of Photography in Istanbul Turkey, beginning on September 15. My work will include about 20-25 prints, primarily carbon, but also a few palladium and kallitypes. Subject matter is primarily urban architecture and landscapes.

While in Turkey I will also conduct a 3-4 day workshop on carbon printing, scheduled for mid-October.

If anyone would like more information about either of these activities please contact me by private email.

Sandy King

2. bill schwab

bill schwab Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Excellent. Congratulations Sandy!

3. sanking

sanking Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Thanks Bill. Istanbul, or Constantinople as it was know until the Otoman Turks captured the crown city of orthodox catholicism in the the mid-15 century, is one of the places I have most wanted to visit in all of th world, and never had an opportunity until know.

History tells us that the fall of Constantinople closed the borders for all of Europe to the land route to the spice treasurers of the east, and is one of the major reasons for the sea exploration by the Spainards and Portuguese in the last half of the 15th century to find a sea route to those spice treasureres. At one point in time some of the spices that were brought back were moren than a thousand times the value of gold.

Sandy

4. bill schwab

bill schwab Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I was wondering if you had prior experience there. What a wonderful opportunity. It sounds as if you have a lot of time in country as well. Any plans of a photographic project aside from the workshops, or are you just planning to be a tourist?

Again, congratulations. It sounds wonderful.

B.

5. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Dear Sandy,

First, congratulations.

I've only been to Istanbul once, and I have to say that although I didn't like the place, I did get a disproportionate number of good pictures. And Hagia Sofiya/Ayia Sophia/choose your spelling is one of the most amazing places I have ever seen.

You know the standard image of Turkish officials as fat, badly shaven, dressed in ill-fitting uniforms, and corrupt? Well, that was my first experience of the place: a fat, etc., immigration official who stole ten pounds (UK, not Turkish) off me as I arrived. The Turks are to be congratulated on their attempts to build a modern secular state -- even unbelievers are permitted to see the relics of the Prophet -- but it's still worth being wary of officialdom.

Cheers,

Roger

6. noseoil

noseoil Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    To follow up on Roger's post, you may want to have a bit of "tip" money handy at all times. Rather than looking on it as extortion, look upon it as a chance to see how little is needed to make the wheels turn. Baksheesh is alive and well in Mexico, Turkey and many other countries. It is simply the cost of doing business. The phrase "Isn't there some way we can come to an agreement?" is very useful when traveling.

Enjoy the trip Sandy, glad to see you are being recognized for your hard work and technical proficiency. Best, tim

7. ooze

ooze Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sandy,

I'm looking forward to seeing your exhibition.

Btw, I never tip to make wheels turn (I do tip in restaurants if the service was good), and I think I can get along. But that may be because I'm a turk.

Cheers,
    omar

8. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Dear Tim,

Sorry, I should have added that the vast majority of non-official Turks I met could hardly have been more charming, as were all the officials at the Topkapi museum. It was just that being hit with one parody of an old-fashioned corrupt official, the first Turk I spoke to, left a very nasty taste.

Frances wasn't keen about 'Grandmother!' as a term of respect, either...

Cheers,

Roger

9. roteague

roteague Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Congratulations Sandy!! I wish I could attend. :sad: Fortunately, those people are going to get the opportunity to see your work - it is simply stunning.

10. donbga

donbga Member

Shooter:
    Large Format Pan
    Hi Sandy,

Will you be hooking up with Loris Medici in Turkey? Seems like he might be a good contact.

11. philldresser

philldresser Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sandy

Congratulations and Good Luck. I wish I could see your work and attend the workshop but sadly that will not be possible at the moment.

Maybe one day when you do some workshops in the UK!

Phill

12. Loose Gravel

Loose Gravel Member

Turkey is a fabulous place to visit. A real culture shock, yet safe. The food is good, the water clean, the accommodations can be cheap, altho you get what you pay for, and there is no personal crime. My sister lived there for over 14 years and never had a problem. I have visited twice and found it wonderful. Istanbul is fairly easy altho language may be a problem. As my sister spoke Turkish, I had no problems, but the first time I went (1993) I heard very little English. The second time, about 5 years ago, I heard more English. German gets you a long way, tho. Of course, the rug merchants at the Grand Bizarre will know English. However, buy your rugs in the US. They're cheaper there. If you can get to the source of the rugs, then they can be very cheap, but this is far from Istanbul.

Sophia allows flash photography, but no tripods ('camera with legs'). The only way to use is tripod is to write in advance and get a 4 hour permit. And that permit is for a specific 4 hours or a specific day and you must write some 3 months in advance...at least that how it was when I was there. The Blue Mosque is the same altho I don't know about the permits there. Other mosques allow tripods but no flash.

Access is easy and there is no worry about insurance and that crap. I found that if I wanted to take a pic of something odd, I could usually just ask and get permission. As a 'professional photographer' your only threat is to their postcard photographers and then only at places like Blue Mosque, etc. That seems to be how they see it.

If I were to go again, I would take only a 6x7 system. I took 4x5 one time and it was a bunch of hassles. I feel as though I'd take more pix with a smaller camera. For the mosque or Sophia, I'd take a bean bag. Setting up a tripod some place would be okay and others impossible with the crowds of people. Stay as long as you can.

13. Bob Carnie

Bob Carnie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    Sandy

When you and Mark do the workshop here in Toronto, I would like to have an evening like the APUG confernce first night with Mark and your work. Matted prints like before, I think this would be great for your workshop.
    going away for a couple of weeks to the Bunkie and will not be available till Sept first , but we are on line and can discuss all the details in Sept.
    good luck with this show

Bob

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. sanking

sanking Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Bob,

That sounds great. I am sure Mark will be very interested as well.

Where is the Bunkie? Some sort of resort area in Canada?

Sandy

16. sanking

sanking Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    As for my travel camera, it will be medium format. I am debating between a Pentax 67II and a few lenses, or a Fuji GW690III. Or one of the the two plus a Fuji GA645Zi. Or maybe just the GA645Zi.

Sandy

17. arigram

arigram Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Sounds interesting.
    I love Istanbul and I have friends from there, it would be great to go back,
    especially for a good photography workshop.
    I will think about it.

18. Mark Layne

Mark Layne Member

Baksheesh - also known as 'a wee drink'
    Can anyone name a country where it does not exist?

19. Bob Carnie

Bob Carnie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    Sandy

The Bunkie is a boat house with dock on Pine Lake three miles out of Gravenhurst Muskoka region. We sleep 10 ft from the water and barbeque on the deck. No running water but if my 85year old grandmother could use the out house, so can I. Good fishing and clean swimming, my little paridise .
    It will be great to have another party with your and Marks work showcased. I will invite somewhat the same crowd with a private hour first for any attendees to your workshops.
    Same idea Matted prints to sit on the ledge, enough to fill the main room.

Spoke to Fuji and they are sourcing a fujiclear roll of film for Mark and I to start testing in Sept.
    Lots of interest in medium size platinums, 16x20 therabout sizes.

best regards to You and Mark

Bob

20. Claire Senft

Claire Senft Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Sorry am I to strike a sour note on this issue. I am very much against this.

Mr. King is, in my opinion, a national treasure. He should not be encouraged , and would be well advised not to leave the country.

I know that it would cost the people who would attend this workshop
    more money and time to come to the states. SO WHAT..they would still receive full value from my King.

21. sanking

sanking Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Well Claire, my wife got a big laugh out of that one. After laughing with a lot of gusto (and this gal has a big laugh even when subdued!) she allowed that in spite of my exalted national status I was pretty much worthless around the house, and if I wanted to be any kind of local treasure the way to start would be by cleaning my bathroom.

Sandy

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 17, 2006
  22. Claire Senft

Claire Senft Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Does the phrase "not being able to see the forest for the trees" have any applicability to said fortunate lady?

Myself, were I not the coward I am, and had we more than 1 bathroom my response would be to inform the lady of my house, should such a situation arise, to mind her own business. This is highly unlikely since nonody would be so foolish as to trust me with a dirty toilet..particularly given the frequency of my habit of missing the toilet..guess close don't count..

She would ask me "What do you call a man that has lost his mind" Before I could meekly mumble "Dunno" she would tell me "A widower".

If I had any high friends in low places I would ask them to help you. I feel fortunate that counting my friends causes absolutely no wear and tear on my fingers..just trying to keep a positive attitude.

23. sanking

sanking Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Hi Don.

Will definitely be connecting with Loris. In fact, Loris is very much involved with the orgnaization of this event.

Sandy

24. donbga

donbga Member

Shooter:
    Large Format Pan
    Oh, okay! Have fun

25. sanking

sanking Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
  26. Dave Wooten

Dave Wooten Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    All the best Sandy, have a good one, i guess we will just have to wait here til you get back!:smile: