workshop in Texas in May with Les

Discussion in 'Workshops & Lectures' started by lee, Apr 14, 2005.

1. lee

lee Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    All,

For those of you that are signed up for the workshop at my darkroom in Texas with Les McLean, it is time to start getting the rest of the money together. I would like to have the remainder by May 1st. Your cooperation is greatly apreciated.

lee\c

2. BWGirl

BWGirl Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Okey-dokey! Thanks for sponsoring this! I'm really looking forward to it!

Will you or Les be publishing some sort of list so we know what to bring??

Thanks again!

3. shicks5319

shicks5319 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Workshop info.

I missed hearing about this workshop.

Is it open to all? Are there still openings available?

Thanks, from Alb NM

4. Aggie

Aggie Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Not long after this workshop, Les will be doing another workshop through Photographers Formulary in Montana. Check with them to see if they have room available.

5. photomc

photomc Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This is UNOFFICAL!! But I would recommend that you all bring some cool, light colored colthing, sun-screen of choice, a hat and maybe some sun shades to help transition between the darkroom and outside. The temp's here hit 100 yesterday (Saturday before the workshop) and today looks to be about as hot. Looking forward to meeting everyone, and keep your fingers crossed..it could be back down to the upper 80's if we get lucky....will keep an eye on the forecast.

6. ann

ann Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    i am in deep trouble, i am already in the area, sort of; at least Texas. No sunglasses, no hat and no sun screen, and it is very hot.
    Ended up getting some shorts in Batron Rouge as i didn't bring any with me, that is how hot it is getting on the drive down.

See everyone on Thurs.

regards,
    ann

7. David Brown

David Brown Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yeah, Memorial Day weekend is the season's first Sunburn Festival for Texas. :cool:

David

8. jtsatterlee

jtsatterlee Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    i feel for Les, going from the mid 50s of Scotland to the heat and humidity of Texas...

9. BWGirl

BWGirl Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Good thing I've still got my Maui "base-tan" haha! :smile:
    I saw that 100 deg temp and about fell off my chair! Saturday was the first day here nice enough to actually eat outside! haha

Shorts it is, then... just don't laugh! :wink:

10. Silverpixels5

Silverpixels5 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The heat yesterday was crazy! I was on a little weekend getaway in Galveston and it was pretty hot, but I still had the slightly cool breeze from the Gulf. Now when I came back home to Houston on Sunday I could hardly breathe outside...lol. Then when I went out to eat last night I caught a glimpse of a thermometer...it said 98 and it was about 8:30 pm.

11. Will S

Will S Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Anyone know what time we should be there Friday morning?

Thanks,

Will

12. ann

ann Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    i would pm, lee, we are planning on getting together on thurs. evening for a bit of social fun.

13. David Brown

David Brown Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've heard that, too. I am planning to come over Thursday evening, but what time, and where?

BTW, everyone: In spite of the horrid temperatures reported the last few days, the "forecast" :wink: is for cloudy, possible showers and temps in the mid 80's for this weekend. Believe me, 85 is better than 100. It will, however, be humid, either way. I'd still bring sunscreen if you plan on spending any time outdoors!

Looking forward to meeting all of you. Welcome to Texas, to whom it may apply. :smile:

Cheers, y'all.

David

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. BWGirl

BWGirl Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Lee told me there's a bit of a get together at the darkroom at 6:30 on Thursday night.

The workshop will start at 9am (I think) at the darkroom. (Oh that was bright! :rolleyes: ) Anyone staying at that Comfort Inn? That's where I'll be.

16. Will S

Will S Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I guess I'll be there at 9am on Friday then. My plane doesn't get in on Thursday night until 9 pm, so I'm afraid I'll miss the party.

Thanks,

Will

17. Gay Larson

Gay Larson Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I'm planning on being there Thursday evening, I'm at the Comfort also. Need info on where to meet and when Thursday. Anyone know the plans???

18. David Brown

David Brown Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    As I understand it, about 6:30 at Lee's darkroom, which everyone should have the info for. (If not, let's put that in PMs.)

Even though I'm just coming from Dallas, it is still 40-50 miles one way from my house, so I am also "splurging" :wink: and staying at the Comfort Inn. If I can be of assistance to any of you out of towners that are also staying there, PM me. Directions from the airport should be fairly straightforward, since the motel is on I-20. Anyone driving, the motel should still not be hard to find.

I am leaving after work on Thursday, and will fight the usual rush hour traffic. (Another reason for not wanting to commute.) I hope to be at the Comfort Inn by 6:00 or so and had "previsialized" being at Lee's fashionably late at around 7:00.

Best laid plans ... :rolleyes:

Anyway, If I can do the traveler's aid thing for anyone, let me know. I'll be checking my PMs right up until I leave work that day.

Cheers, y'all.

David

19. ann

ann Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    i am also staying at the inn, am driving up from past the austin area where visiting with family.
    I will be picking up John from the airport in the afternoon and i know he and i will both be there on thurs. evening.

I have a terrible sense of direction, but with the help of AAA and a map i hope to find both the motel and then the airport :smile:

20. Jeremy

Jeremy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Just got back from Washington yesterday where I spent the day on Mt. Rainer playing in the snow back to to hot-as-hell Texas. Egads!

Can anyone pass along any info about the wheres and whens?

21. photomc

photomc Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    here is a mapquest link from the Hotel to the darkroom..sorry don't know the exact address, but this will help.

map

it might take a minute to load...

22. Jim Chinn

Jim Chinn Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Lee sent me the address for the darkroom:

110 West Trammell
    Everman, TX 76140

I will be arriving at DFW about 1:30 on Thursday, if I can get on that flight.
    (My wife works for a not yet bankrupt air carrier so I go standby.)

If anyone is on town that early maybe we could hit a museum or gallery before heading over to the darkroom.

Let me know on this thread or PM me.

Look forward to seeing everyone there.

Jim C.

23. Jeremy

Jeremy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have plans with my girlfriend on that day to hit up the Museums in Fort Worth and the science center (she has an itch to see an IMax movie) so if anyone would like to wander around the museums with us (we will be there from about 3pm on) just send me a PM and I can give you my cell phone number.

24. ann

ann Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    any one from out of texas and who is driving, be sure to use your seat belt.
    there is a big push on this week and into next about using seat belts, with the fine being pretty heffty. I speak as one who "knows" , as of this morning, any way.
    They are nice but serious about this seat belt issue.

25. scootermm

scootermm Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    hey everyone.
    Ill be coming up on thursday morning, leaving austin around noon (maybe before) so I will be in dallas for that night at the very least. Im planning on coming by the lee's darkroom to meet everyone. Im not sure what Im going to do when I get up there .... never been to any of the D/FW area museums... so I may do that... or perhaps venture out and take some photos.
    if anyone would like to meet up I can give you my cell number. if not then Ill see everyone that evening.

Im planning on bringing a stack of van dykes to get peoples thoughts on them
    and would love to see anyone elses work. (as Im not attending the workshop, it would be nice to see peoples work etc...)

26. Jim Chinn

Jim Chinn Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If I make it into DFW early, I plan on heading over to the Amon Carter museum to see the combined Steiglitz/O'Keefe exhibit of work they produced at Lake George. If anyone else wants to join me i can meet you at the Comfort Inn about 3:00. the museum admission is free and I think the hours on thursday are untill 8:00 pm so one could look around untill about 6:00 and then head over to Lee's. Does not seem to be to far away on the map.