Workshop on emulsion making and coating at GEH

Discussion in 'Workshops & Lectures' started by Photo Engineer, Oct 12, 2010.

1. Photo Engineer

Photo Engineer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have just been notified that our 3 day workshop, to be given by Mark Osterman and myself, has been approved by George Eastman House. It is scheduled for late in January 2011 and space is limited.

The tentative subject at this time will be the making of a contact speed paper in several contrast grades. No knowledge of chemistry will be needed.

Another, more advanced Workshop, has been tentatively scheduled for later in the year, but we are awaiting approval of the later advanced workshop. I will post more on both of these as the material goes up on the GEH website. You can check here or on the GEH website for details when information is posted.

http://www.eastmanhouse.org/events/series/photo-workshops

PE

2. bblhed

bblhed Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This almost makes the idea of driving 6 hours to Rochester in January sound appealing. I'm going to have to see if I can get clearance from the boss when the dates come out.

Thank you.

3. Photo Engineer

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  4. Photo Engineer

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well, I hope no one has forgotten about this!

Everyone seems to be interested in emulsion making so lets fill this class up!

PE

5. Photo Engineer

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Just an update from GEH:

Instructor Ron Mowrey will guide the group in making, coating and processing an AZO type gelatin chloride emulsion.

Mark Osterman will give an illustrated lecture on the evolution of gelatin emulsions.

The group will view vintage photographic prints by Weston, Adams, Karsh and White chosen specifically for this workshop in the archives of the George Eastman House International Museum of Photography.

Participants will receive a binder with formulas and instructions for the emulsion we will be making as well as facsimile copies of articles from 19th and early 20th century photographic journals on the evolution of emulsion making.

For a review of the last workshop at George Eastman House see:

http://theonlinephotographer.typepad.com/the_online_photographer/2010/11/workshops-at-geh.html

For information including registration for the gelatin emulsion and other George Eastman House workshops see:

http://www.eastmanhouse.org/Main/events/series/photo-workshops#

6. Photo Engineer

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Bump! A few spaces left.

7. Photo Engineer

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A note to APUG members attending the class.

Please PM me so that I can send you additional information before the workshop starts.

For the rest of you....there is still room so you can sign up. The workshop starts on the 17th. Prove your interest in preserving analog, come to the workshop.

PE

8. Photo Engineer

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The class is just about full, and you only have until this Friday to register IIRC.

Copies of the Azo type formula are printing out in the background as I type this!

PE

9. Hexavalent

Hexavalent Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Post-workshop rave:
    I'm in my Motel room, head spinning from information overload, and already planning the upgrades to my 'lab' back in Ottawa so that I can start making emulsion. Ron and Mark (and everybody involved at Eastman House) delivered three days of history, science, and FUN hands-on emulsion making. I have a thick book of lab notes, reprints of old formulae, a bag of the prints from the paper we coated, and a huge grin. I can't say enough good things about this whole experience -- if you get a chance to attend one of these workshops.. DO IT!!!!!

10. Photo Engineer

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks Ian.

Ron Mowrey

11. Photo Engineer

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have gotten a lot of messages related to this WS. So, come to the next one! :D

Yer gonna have fun. We did show 3 contrast grades and we did give out a lot of information.

Oh, BTW, on Wednesday, we saw a lot of prints from the archives including some unusual work by AA. Thursday, for those that could stay, Mark showed us some Lippmann color Plates.

Too bad for those that missed the class.

PE

12. totalamateur

totalamateur Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I am quite green with jealousy. Unfortunately Texas is more than a 6 hour drive to GEH. Some day, Some Day....

13. holmburgers

holmburgers Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Torture!

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Photo Engineer

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    We had students from Germany and New Mexico.

PE

16. Photo Engineer

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes. Not a digital print in sight either!

We also saw some rare photos of movie stars and next to each photo was the original camera used to take the photo. All students got passes to see rare old films in the GEH Dryden Theater in the evening.

Sheer torture. I agree.

Every student coated and processed their own paper and took prints and unexposed paper home with them. We had 2 teams that made two batches of emulsion and then they prepped the 3 contrast grades.

There was lots of classroom instruction and the huge booklet on the history of analog emulsions and coating that Mark prepared for us was a treasure. He certainly was able to give us an overview of the entire early history of analog Silver Gelatin. The book includes drawings of some of George Eastman's earliest coating machines.

PE

17. holmburgers

holmburgers Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It really sounds great; I hope it continues for many more years, and I'll make it as soon as I can.

18. Hexavalent

Hexavalent Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I forgot to mention that Bob Shanebrook stopped by - several of us obtained signed editions of his excellent "Making Kodak Film" book.
    Did I mention the original Lincoln glass plate? :smile:

The way that coffee, cookies and veggie platters magically appeared several times a day was nice touch - kudos to the GEH organizers for providing such a welcoming atmosphere.

I am already planning my next trip to Rochester :smile:

19. willrea

willrea Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    One day I wish to be in a position to attend one of these workshops. I'm glad the workshop filled up, Ron.

20. JOSarff

JOSarff Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I have attended many workshops over the years, but Ronand Mark’s was the most enjoyable of all of them. The discussion of the chemistry of emulsion making was great. The occasional zoom into high level chemistry between Ron and Bob was fun also. The overall discussion was wonderful, giving me lots to think about in the evenings.

Making the emulsion proved simple and unthreatening, coating, that was something else at least for me. The blade chattered against the guide, dribbled when I picked it up too soon, spots from wet or dry fingers, etc. In short every error I could make. I was ecstatic. If your going to make errors, do it in the workshop where you can get immediate feedback.

I’m looking forward to further “Adventures in Emulsion Making” with Ron in Rochester or wherever. And you guys in Texas in Kansas, you can fly there (I’m in New Mexico)

Ron, Thank you so very much for a marvelous time.

Joe Sarff

21. Photo Engineer

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks Joe. You did a marvelous job. Congratulations. I look forward to another workshop.

Ron

22. Photo Engineer

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I would like to thank one of our students for the photographs he sent me today. Wonderful memories. At this point in life, it begins to take away instead of give and this is a rare instance of giving along with the positive comments above.

Thanks to all of the students. I had a GREAT time. Lets do it again sometime. Just let GEH know.

PE

23. Hexavalent

Hexavalent Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Here's a sample print of what we turned out at the Workshop. This was "Team B's" Grade II emulsion.
    I take responsibility for using an inappropriate negative (tuned for carbon-transfer), and the coating flaws (streaks, bubbles, liftoffs)
    The image is of my grandfather, taken sometime in the mid 60's on Kodachrome, scanned, inkjet negative, and now printed on a hand-made AZO paper - what a journey! Seeing an image come up in the dev tray, from what was a beaker of goo a few hours prior, is a wonderful feeling.

Attached Files:

24. Photo Engineer

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks Ian.

There were 2 other contrast grades and the prints looked very nice. We had a great time and the facilities at GEH were wonderful. The archives lent an extra dimension to the course.

PE

25. Photo Engineer

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Announcing a new workshop under development and more baryta paper

Workshop

I would like to announce that Mark Osterman and I are working on a new workshop to be held at GEH, probably in September. We are presenting this to you in advance of scheduling it so that we might get an idea of who is interested and what they want. There are basically two options at this time. One is to repeat the previous workshop given the high level of interest expressed after the fact, or we might go on to a workshop on making a Kodabromide / Brovira type enlarging paper.

Baryta Paper

For those of you interested in baryta paper, I am announcing here that Ilford has agreed to produce 1000 sheets of 11x14 baryta paper for people who wish to make coatings on this superb material. It will be available in about 8 - 10 weeks, maybe earlier. The cost is yet to be determined. Thanks Ilford, and thanks Simon Galley.

PE

26. Chazzy

Chazzy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format

If the price is right, I bet a lot of alternative process people would be interested in buying some of the baryta paper. It seems more logical than fixing out and washing enlarging paper.