World of Lith Printing blog and new website. Feedback invited

Discussion in 'Book, Magazine, Gallery Reviews, Shows & Contests' started by tim rudman, Jul 15, 2006.

1. tim rudman

tim rudman Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hi all
    I hope this is the right place to put this? Or 'lounge'? but 'books' seems appropriate, although I don't know if this section gets read as often. If it's the wrong place, can I move it? (is my inexperience showing?)
    I have just sent out a news blog (see - I'm learning!) to The WOLP mailing list and some of you might have received it but others probably not.

The new book has a new website http://www.worldoflithprinting.com/ and I would be pleased to get any feedback and or suggestions on it, and especially to know if any browsers have difficulties with it. One suggestion is a 'picture of the day' from the book, changing daily.

There is news too (the blog is on the website too now). A recent last minute title change; a list of people who made it into the book; the limited edition is 'on'- and the project is on time (phew!), amongst other things.

Thanks for any comments
    Tim

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2006
  2. Drew B.

Drew B. Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm confused...what website?

3. tim rudman

tim rudman Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  4. SuzanneR

SuzanneR Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Can you provide a link, Tim?

5. SuzanneR

SuzanneR Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    oops... didn't hear you typing!! :smile:

6. Dan Henderson

Dan Henderson Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    what a valuable resource APUG is! In the few short months I have been a subscriber here, I have met, learned from, and photographed with Bill Schwab and a number of other excellent Great Lakes area photographers, learned of and purchased great resource books by members Ralph Lambrecht and Tim Rudman (I'm currently working my way through Tim's toning book), and found a place where either by doing a search or posting a question I can solve just about any traditional photographic problem that I may encounter. Thanks to Sean for putting this site up and keeping it running, and to all of the other great members here.

7. catem

catem Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ditto.
    Well, not exactly word for word, but most certainly the general drift.
    Long may it continue - and thanks to Sean.
    And to Tim Rudman for posting details of the new book. Your work has most certainly have been an inspiration to me in the past, and I'm sure the new book will be too...

8. roteague

roteague Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I don't shoot much B&W, but have shared a beer with Tim. He is an really nice guy, always willing to help others. We need people like Tim on APUG.

9. Dave Wooten

Dave Wooten Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Lets Take a Look

I viewed some of Tim's prints at the Toronto Apug convention, they are indeed beautiful...I also have purchased and recommend, Tim's "Master Photographer's Lith Printing Course as well as "The Photographer's Toning Book: The Definitive Guide"

Tim could you post an example or two in the gallery? That would really make those who haven't seen your work true believers! :smile:

10. BWGirl

BWGirl Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Very nice website, Tim. I think the only suggestion I would make is to either place navigation buttons at the bottom of each 'page' or to place a button at the bottom of the page that returns the user to the top. My personal preference is navigation at the top & bottom. Another suggestion would be "floating" navigation along the side...however that can become irritating for some users. (At last, my prior life as a usability 'geek' pays off)

I have to say that I was shocked to see you are a "quadruple Fellow"... I'd have thought just being one fellow would be plenty... but you must be very busy! hahaha :D I wish I were at least a triple fellow-ette sometimes (though those around me quite have their hands full with just one). :wink:

11. tim rudman

tim rudman Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks Jeanette. Ill pass your suggestions along. I really appreciate your comments.

BTW, I did respond to Dave Wooten's post above, and he responded back. Those 2 posts seem to have disappeared. What am I doing wrong?

12. Fintan

Fintan Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The site works fine on Firefox /Windows XP, no bugs to report. I prefer the "World of.." title, much prefer it.

I like the whole look and feel of the site and the cover shot for the book looks superb.

I also tested the Add to Cart button beside the Limited Edition hardcover right away and am looking forward to September :D

13. Bob F.

Bob F. Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Probably nothing - the site has just moved to a new server yesterday and I think there are a few teething problems still occurring (a PM I sent yesterday to someone has also disappeared). I'm sure it will sort itself out (or rather, Sean will sort it out!) soon.

BTW, most people see a unified view of all posts since they last logged in when they visit the site so in practice all forums get equal exposure. Just put posts in whichever forum seems the most appropriate.

Cheers, Bob.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. tim rudman

tim rudman Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Oh thanks, I didn't know one could do that.

16. Bob F.

Bob F. Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Top right of the screen, just above the menus there is an entry showing how many posts since your last visit - something like:

Welcome, JoeBloggs.
    199 new posts since your last visit.
    Private Messages: Unread 0, Total 37.

If you click on the number you get all posts in all forums since you last visited (or, in practice, since your previous session timed out).

Have fun, Bob.

17. tim rudman

tim rudman Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks Bob. That makes life a lot easier! :smile:
    Tim

18. tim rudman

tim rudman Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format

19. philldresser

philldresser Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Tim

Dont know if you have been playing with the stylesheets but I get black text on a dark brown background. Very hard to read. It looks like you left it in the infectious developer to long :smile:

Phill

20. tim rudman

tim rudman Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks Phill. It looks fine on my computer - I will pass this on to the designer.
    Tim

21. philldresser

philldresser Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Tim

I just checked and this is only one of my work machines and is fine on my XP box. So you might need to tell your developer this info ;
    MS NT4 SP6, IE Version 5.5.4807.2300

Maybe it is in regards to a particular font/style used

Cheers

Phill

22. David Lingham

David Lingham Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Tim
    Your site looks good and works well on Mac (G5 OSX Safari)

DaveL

23. Ole

Ole Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Site works fine on Opera v.9.0.

BTW, I've ordered the book. :smile:

24. matti

matti Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This is great! Tonight I just tried Lith printing for the first time after reading about it in your book Master Photographer's Printing Course. The prints are in the washer right now and I must say it is really exciting to watch what comes out in the tray and try out all the variables. After tonight I decided to buy your book on Lith printing and now there are two!

/matti

25. Fintan

Fintan Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The new photo of the day is a great idea, todays one is beautiful.

26. df cardwell

df cardwell Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Tim

Do you teach this stuff at Hogwarts ?

Great site.

don