World Wide Pinhole Photography Day 2011

Discussion in 'Pinhole Photography' started by Poisson Du Jour, Apr 23, 2011.

1. Poisson Du Jour

Poisson Du Jour Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  2. P C Headland

P C Headland Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Shot my roll today, in spite of the very threatening weather and a stomach that is somewhat unsettled as well. The roll is hanging up to dry now, and for once, I seemed to have loaded the 6x9 back on my Century Graphic correctly :w00t:

3. Toffle

Toffle Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've got my Franken-cam ready to go; I'm just waiting for a break in the rain. I have yet to get a really satisfactory shot with this cam, which might just prove that I can take even the simplest of concepts and make it too complicated to be workable. I am an optimist though, so I am happy to spend my time trying.

Interestinly enough, the local digisnappers club teamed up with the local 4-H club and vandalized some coffee cans last weekend. Because Pinhole day is also Easter Sunday, their plan is to shoot and p rocess some paper negs next Saturday. A dangerous move... puting silver gelatine paper in the hands of mere teenagers. Some of them might just like it. I wish them the best.

4. DWThomas

DWThomas Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I lucked out that the rain didn't close in until this afternoon, so I shot a few sheets of film and a few sheets of paper in the latest 4x5 "box" camera. I'm bound to have something recognizable. For those who like resolution, I also ran a roll of Acros through my Ercona II. We're doing a blow-out dinner momentarily, so it may be a day or so before I get the stuff through a developer.

5. pinhole_dreamer

pinhole_dreamer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I shot a roll of 35mm through a camera I modified...some inside while it was sprinkling...and most in the basement where I have a table set up for photo shoots...and a 200W halogen light in an aluminum cone. I've yet to develop it yet. Probably here in a bit when I have some water free.

6. David William White

David William White Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I took this one today down at the Hamilton Harbour. Cookie tin with 0.4mm hole about 100mm from the film plane. About a five minute exposure using Kodak 2430 aerial duplicating film, and developed in Gainer's VitC+Metol.

Attached Files:

7. Toffle

Toffle Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Lovely, David. The ropes really um... pull you into the image.

8. pinhole_dreamer

pinhole_dreamer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That is a great photograph! Mine however...:whistling:

[​IMG]

:blink:

I put a bit of pop can behind the lens of my Helioflex ... with a pinhole. Talk about pinhole photography, right? ROFLMAO!

I forgot that it would be better to put the pinhole in FRONT of the lens. (Why? Because I'm out of paper and the shutter won't stay fixed and I'm tired of opening the camera.)

P.S. That's a skirt hem with lace, if you're curious. Fujifilm Acros Neopan 100, inside, under a 200-something halogen light and the overhead fluorescent. I didn't take very good notes but that was around an 8-10 second exposure using the lens cap as the shutter.

9. jtzordon

jtzordon Member

Shooter:
    35mm
  10. pinhole_dreamer

pinhole_dreamer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The one that worked

[​IMG]

From the candy cam...

11. jon.oman

jon.oman Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Today is Worldwide Pinhole Photography Day. Here are the images I took today that are candidates for submission. Taken with a homemade 135, 24x72mm pano camera. What do you think?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

All of these are from the 'Old Downtown' of Summerville, South Carolina.

12. P C Headland

P C Headland Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My shots - a couple on the roll were a bit too dense, but otherwise quite a good hit rate.

13. johnnywalker

johnnywalker Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Tony Egan

Tony Egan Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I took a few portraits after Easter Sunday lunch. Deardorff 8x10 with 0.4mm pinhole lensboard at around 130mm focal length. Ilford HP5 film approx. 20 seconds exposure. Neg scan.

Attached Files:

16. Vaughn

Vaughn Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Dang it...had some sun on Sunday so I went on the back deck and took my photo, but I blew it! It was World Wide Pinhole Photography Day, not World Wide Pineapple Photography Day! My bad...

A light Type 55 print, stepped on accidently...(lens used)

Attached Files:

17. Poisson Du Jour

Poisson Du Jour Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    "...Pinapple Day"!?
    Listen up, I can loan you my glasses if you're really hard up? :tongue: :smile:

18. DWThomas

DWThomas Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yay! I finally got the stuff developed and scanned (I have some doubts if I'll ever print them). I used the Arista.EDU ULTRA 100 (Fomapan?) film and Arista EDU RC Grade #2 paper, pre-flashed. This is the widest angle of view I've ever tried, and that makes life even more complicated exposure-wise due to light fall-off toward the edges. So, here's what I submitted to WPPD (one of the best shots on film):
    [​IMG]

And here is one of the better shots on paper:
    [​IMG]

The whole day here

The camera here

I'm pleased with the camera's performance, but not sure how often I'll torment myself with paper negatives!

DaveT

19. Joe VanCleave

Joe VanCleave Member

Shooter:
    Pinhole
    Dave, I like that paper negative shot. I think you should keep tormenting yourself with more paper negative images!

~Joe

20. DWThomas

DWThomas Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks Joe!

Yeah, maybe another iteration one of these days will help. Other than the preliminary testing, most of my pinhole work has been on WPPDs over the years, but I ought to try a little more often.

The graded paper was the "semi-matte" which was probably a mistake too, shoulda bought glossy. (I think I see some scan artifacts that may be texture related.) Otherwise, I'm thinking this year's may be my best actual pinhole so far, that part was encouraging. Dimple and sand with wet #600 in 1 mil brass, and I now have a lifetime supply of "BlackenIt" from my friendly model RR shop.

I recently saw some black 1/2 inch foam core, maybe I should go for a foam 8x10 next year ... :blink:

DaveT

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2011
  21. jeffreyg

jeffreyg Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I don't do pinhole photography but the May issue of National Geographic has an article "The Magic of Camera Obscura" that might be of interest to those of you who do. It is about photographer Abelardo Morell.

http://www.jeffreyglasser.com/

22. moki

moki Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I tried a few different things this year... here's one shot from the experimental panoramic camera for 35mm film. Using this aspect ratio withouth a viewfinder is a lot harder than I thought. And just in case you don't know, this is not a picture of aliens but of simple flowers from a bug's perspective:

[​IMG]

And here's my official submission. The classic matchbox pinhole has always been a favourite of mine... I've got nothing against LF pinhole cameras, but for myself I prefer a little less sharpness and a lot more simplicity.
    [​IMG]

23. kraker

kraker Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Some wonderful examples here. Great work.

I've developed the one roll of pinhole shots I took on WWPPD 2011. Alas, it would seem that the developer was "a bit" too old. Very, very thin negatives (including the frame numbering, which is why I rule out underexposure.)

On the WWPPD site, I see I have the opportunity to try again today or tomorrow, we've got the whole week. WWPPD is now WWPPW.

24. mfohl

mfohl Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Mine too.

I got mine last Saturday. Some rain during the day but sun in the evening. I developed the film but haven't printed yet. I keep forgetting how *wide* the arrangement is: Zero Image Multiformat at 6.9.

25. Toffle

Toffle Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Here is my humble offering for WWPD 2011.
    [​IMG]

Straight print from a 4x5 negative.

Cheers,

26. jtzordon

jtzordon Member

Shooter:
    35mm