Worth getting 150mm SQ-A Lens?

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by cherryrig, Sep 17, 2008.

1. cherryrig

cherryrig Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I've got a Bronica SQ-A at the moment with just the normal 80mm-S lens but I've been thinking about getting a 150mm for it. Is it worth getting one or just stick the the 80mm. Also for this lens would it be better getting a PS version rather than S

I'm one of these people who just keeps on buying stuff haha :rolleyes:

Cheers

2. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Only you know whether you'd use a longer lens. Personally I'd buy a wide angle 45mm/50mm because I use wide angles far more in all formats 35mm 120, 5x4 etc.

On the other hand when I'm shooting rock concerts etc I use a telephoto zoom. You have to decide why you'd want to use a 150.

Ian

3. Adrian Twiss

Adrian Twiss Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The PS lenses have, apparently, improved coating. Mind you I have read many complaints about the S lenses.

4. KEK

KEK Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have to agree with Ian, if you think you'll use it buy it.

I have a 40/50/80/250 and use the 40/50 the most by far. The 250 I rarely use,It just isn't sharp enough and is alot heavier(not sure why I keep it) I've thought about getting a 150 just to see if It's any better.

The PS series are suppose to be the better lens

5. Thomas Bertilsson

Thomas Bertilsson Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The 150mm lens is my favorite focal length. I just come up with my best work with it. It helps me sort out a scene and use compression, which I love to do. Your mileage may vary, but there is no denying that a 150mm lens gives a completely different result than the 80mm. For portraits, par example, the 150 is awesome. It can be done, but it's not easy to get proportions right when doing portraits with an 80mm lens. You have to be extremely careful with positioning the subject. The 150 won't give you that problem.
    Wide angle is something I never use, so to me a 150 is essential, but as has been pointed out it depends on what you use it for.
    - Thomas

6. vdonovan

vdonovan Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    It's a very good portrait lens, and as far as I'm concerned whenever you have a person in the frame it's a portrait.

7. jordanstarr

jordanstarr Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    just do it...they go for about $100 on ebay so it's really not a huge deal for what you will get out of it. Sometimes you don't think you'll use a lens, but when you actually buy it, it comes in handy more often than not. I think you should try justabout ever focal length you can to expand your creativity. I had a bronica 150mm for some time and loved it.

8. Thomas Bertilsson

Thomas Bertilsson Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well said. What I did when it came to understand what lenses to use, I forced myself to shoot with one lens only. So when I got to understand the 150mm lens, that's all I brought for an entire photo trip of five days. You will find a way to make it work, it will force you to see differently, and it's very good for developing your skills.

- Thomas

9. Shawn Dougherty

Shawn Dougherty Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Excellent advice. I shot my first project, my Pond Scum Portfolio, with only one lens. I think if you're serious about using the equipment as a tool, an extension of your vision, it's quite necessary to get to know the in and outs of seeing and composing with each focal length.

Below is a link to the images. The lens was a 210mm G-Claron, which on 4x5 is about the same as the 150mm you mention.

http://www.shawndougherty.com/pondscum.html

10. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I agree with that advice too.

BTW a 210mm G-Claron on 5x4 is more like using a 110mm-120mm on a Bronica or other 6x6, a 270mm-300mm on a 5x4 is a closer equivalent to the Bronica's 150mm.

Ian

11. Shawn Dougherty

Shawn Dougherty Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Thanks Ian, I just traded my 35 gear on a Bronica SQA-i so that info is quite useful to me. I got a 110macro with it (and haven't had a chance to shoot it yet, this weekend hopefully). I guess I'll be familar with the focal length, which should allow me to concentrate on getting used to that square format! All the best. Shawn

12. psvensson

psvensson Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Good portrait lens, but needs an extension tube for tight framing. Otherwise, the minimum focus distance is 1.5m, IIRC. I like to shoot portraits at 1m.

13. cherryrig

cherryrig Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks for all the advice guys. I guess I'll have to try and find somewhere which has some cheap as in the UK the price of photo stuff is a joke!!

14. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Just find an APUG member near you, who uses MF equipment. I'm back in 12 days but don't use a long lens on MF only a WA. But others are around, I'm sure someone would let you try a lens.

Ian

15. cherryrig

cherryrig Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Can search via Area on here??

Or I could go into the LCE near me as they have a lens in there which I guess I could try out (it's only a S one but it's something like £329!!!)

16. DaveOttawa

DaveOttawa Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    That is too much for a SQ 150, try KEH.com, 150s are common and inexpensive. Make sure you look at the specs for the 180mm as well, it focuses closer and has a bit more magnification/narrower angle of view - but it is a lot less common and usualy more expensive so if the 150 will do stay with that.

17. cherryrig

cherryrig Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    KEH.com is based in the USA thou which means import tax could be quite a lot :sad:

18. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Tax works out at about 21% on cameras & lenses from the US to the UK, but not every parcel is checked and I've only paid tax once on a lens, and I've bought quite a few.

Yes you can search the Members list, putting Gloucester in the Location finds 10 members

Ian.