Would this be good for alt process exposing?

Discussion in 'Alternative Processes' started by Bruce Schultz, Apr 10, 2006.

1. Bruce Schultz

Bruce Schultz Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
  2. Bruce Schultz

Bruce Schultz Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
  3. TheFlyingCamera

TheFlyingCamera Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I don't know about the second one, but the first one is certainly viable. the 26K1 model is very popular for alt-process folks.

4. sanking

sanking Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Both are good units for alternative printing. Be sure to inquire about cost of shipping. These units have substantial weight and are easily damaged. If at all possible I would advise buying in your geographic area and do your own pick-up, or have the seller deliver it if possible.

Sandy

5. reellis67

reellis67 Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Are you planning on driving to Colorado to pick up the big one? Shipping would be $$$$... Kinda' cuts down on the deal if you have to pay to ship it, but a good deal if you don't mind the road trip.

- Randy

6. gr82bart

gr82bart Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  7. TheFlyingCamera

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If you want an affordable alternative to those plate burners, go to Home Depot. They sell pre-configured fluorescent fixtures with BLB blacklight bulbs. The fixture is made by GE. The bulbs are about 18" long. The fixture with bulb costs about $15 each. Get six of them, plus a surge-protector strip that can handle six outlets. You're in to that set up for about $150. Screw the six BLB fixtures into the bottom of a shelf, line them up as tight together as you can get them. Use the shelf below the one you attached the fixtures to as your exposure area. You'll have plenty of space between the fixtures for cooling, and enough illuminated area to make 11x14 prints or even larger, depending on configuration. Your only other expense is a good contact printing frame, which will set you back about $100 depending on size and manufacturer. I recommend the Bostick & Sullivan frames.

8. Bruce Schultz

Bruce Schultz Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Home Depot setup

I've seen those pre-rigged blacklight sets at the Depot, but I just figured they wouldn't have enough output to be usable for alt-proc. How long are your exposures for Pt/Pd with this set-up?
    I'm getting frustrated using the sun. Just when I think I have things worked out, it's too late in the day to get decent UV. Also, I've bought an 8x10 enlarger, so I won't have a lot of cash to spend on a UV source.

9. TheFlyingCamera

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My exposure times for Pt/Pd prints are around 7 1/2 minutes. If I enclosed the tube set in some kind of box painted white on the inside, I could probably knock another minute or two off my printing times. You can see some examples in my personal gallery here done with this setup. It works quite well. I hooked the surge strip up to a spare darkroom timer and use that for controlling the exposures. The tubes are about 4" from the top of the print frame when I use this setup for exposing Pt/Pd.

10. mark

mark Member

FLyingcamera, What print size are you doing this with.

11. juan

juan Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm using a bit different set up than Flyingcamera - I use the spiral UV bulbs, but the principal is the same - get a setup that has the bulbs and ballast all together.

I would advise against getting your exposure times too short. As was discussed on another thread, these UV bulbs don't have even light output when warming up. If exposure times are short, the uneven output would affect your exposure. I think Sandy King measured a 10% difference between the first and second minute, and then the output settles down. If you have exposure ranges in the 8-10 minute range, as I do, obviously the light output variation falls to practical insignificance.

juan

12. JBrunner

JBrunner Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    The feature that these units offer that clinch it for me is the vacuum easel.
    Compared to messing around with contact frames, its the bomb.

13. lallan

lallan Member

if you are set on getting a plate burner I would suggest looking at www.tpxonline.com. This is a site that the is used by those in the printing industry to sell used equipment. I purchased a NuArc locally at a much cheaper price than what you see on eBay thru them.

...lyle