Would you buy an F6 if...

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by zk-cessnaguy, Jan 26, 2012.

1. zk-cessnaguy

zk-cessnaguy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    you already had an F4 and an F100? Would you keep either of them or sell?

2. Riverman

Riverman Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Why not if you can afford it? Use all 3 for a while and keep the one you get on best with. I've had an F6 for about 18 months. It's awesome and just a dream to shoot.

3. tony lockerbie

tony lockerbie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Of course you can't have too many Nikons! I have managed to accumulate all the F's except the F6......just waiting for the price to come down....may take a while:sad:

4. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sure, go ahead and get it.

I don't even like Nikons but I have a N75 and F100 and some lenses because the 35mm cameras are such a good value right now. Especially when 35mm film is still reasonably priced and easy to obtain.

5. OldBodyOldSoul

OldBodyOldSoul Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I do own a F100 and I do dream about F6 from time to time. If I were in position to think about actually getting an F6, I would think for about 2.37 nanoseconds after which a credit card would appear in my extended hand. At about the same time, my F100 would start looking for a new home.

Since we are doing the "what I would do" thing then I'll tell you that regardless of what happens with F6 and F100, I would sell the F4. That camera is so in a no man's land it's not funny. F3 and older is where it all is. Go newer and there's no reason to stop until you hit F100, or F5 if you are a Yeti or love machine gunning scenes.

To summarize: Why are you even asking? Go got that F6 and enjoy! What you will do with the rest of your cameras is an entirely different question.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2012
  6. mrred

mrred Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The F4 will use non Ai lens, the F100 can use VR lens. Both will cover every Nikon lens. What will the F6 bring to the table?

7. fstop

fstop Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I was considering expanding my F collection to include the entire line, but probably will skip the F4, and go right to aa F5 or F6.

8. MaximusM3

MaximusM3 Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    The F6..well, truth be told, there probably isn't a better 35mm camera out there. I'm a rangefinder guy and I wouldn't trade my Leica for anything but, when I need the complete package, don't want to carry external meters, need fast autofocus for kids or action, fast loading, etc etc etc..the F6 is THE BOMB! Bought one two years ago, never regretted it, and will never part with it. Oh, and if you shoot transparencies, that Matrix meter is close to flawless in any lighting situations.

9. markbarendt

markbarendt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'd skip the F6 and buy film and paper instead.

10. OldBodyOldSoul

OldBodyOldSoul Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    F6 has an "Awesome Picture" button. Well, not really, but it certainly feels that way when you hold it.

11. EASmithV

EASmithV Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm lucky enough to have one, and I love it.
    It's metering and focus confirmation for MF lenses are amazing.

12. mrred

mrred Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    So I guess someone is just going to send me their unwanted F4..... :smile:

13. vpwphoto

vpwphoto Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It's too big, and the reason it was built was for sports shooters that shoot film, and I don't think there is much call for that anymore.
    F100 serves me well, and will for a long time.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Rob Skeoch

Rob Skeoch Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I own an F6. Owned all the others when film ruled and thought the F5 was the greatest until buying the F6. I only wish it existed when film use was higher before the big digi switch. I would say it's the best performing slr of all time, although mine hasn't seen near as much use as the earlier models.
    -rob

16. flatulent1

flatulent1 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I had a pair of F4 and an N80. The N80 kept me from buying an F100 that was available locally. Nothing would keep me from buying the F6; the N80 and F100 would find themselves new homes and F4 would find themselves in a bag with AIS or Zeiss lenses. Assuming money was no object, of course.

17. Dinesh

Dinesh Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Rob, what advantages does the F6 have over F100?

18. EASmithV

EASmithV Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format

Matrix metering with MF lenses, iTTL and CLS flash, data imprinting, random features you can get through the menus like intervalometer stuff, custom menus that are actually in English (sorta), and a camera that feels a lot more solid.

Probably the biggest is the MF lenses. I've got a handful of ai'd lenses and i'm using them with ease just as I would any other lens. It's quite easy since the F6 has a sort of rangefinder thing with it's focus confirmation.

19. michael_r

michael_r Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have an F3HP and an F4, and I'd love to get an F6 one day. It would be great to have that around for when the other two finally crap out on me and there are no more film SLRs being manufactured.

20. rakeshmravi

rakeshmravi Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    F6 is the best piece of 35mm I have ever owned. It is the most useful camera for me. I don't carry any of my old Fs (except FE2). I sold of all of the other ones and got cash to buy enough film to last for 2 years.

Just grabing it, it feels like it is in my hand. The inertia is just awesome. You literally need just 3 fingers to have a solid grip on it in any angle you hold with a 200mm lens. The main reason for my upgrade from F5 was that F6 gave the size of F100 plus the robust meetering and focus of F5 all in small package. All of the things I hoped to have was there.

The one main thing I hate is the type of battery it uses (With Surefire packs, that is also not an issue now). Other than that it is a fine piece of machine that just gets out of your way and gets the job done.

21. narsuitus

narsuitus Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    No, I would buy a second F4 because I need a body that works well with my older manual focus lenses and I also need the interchangeable viewfinder feature.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/11336821@N00/6179982776/

Attached Files:

22. CGW

CGW Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    What? It's barely bigger than the F100 and almost petite compared to Battleship F5. Still puzzles me that Nikon went ahead with an "F Lite" when demand for a new pro film body was iffy at best. Beautiful, though.

23. E. von Hoegh

E. von Hoegh Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    No. I don't own the other two models either, the F2 is about the last Nikon slr that I would consider.

24. zk-cessnaguy

zk-cessnaguy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ok. I can see my credit card getting a nasty shock in the near future. What's convinced me is the F6's modernity - it can use CLS, and the stand-out for me is the way it handles shooting data and film imprinting - light years ahead of the F4 with the MF23 and something that the F100 doesn't even bring to the party.
    Of course, the 500lb gorilla in the corner is the crazy price these things command... ten times what I paid for my F100...:blink:

25. tkamiya

tkamiya Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I like my F-100. So much so that I have three of them. While F-6 would be nicer, there is nothing I feel lacking using F-100. So I'll keep mine.... all 3 of them.

26. MaximusM3

MaximusM3 Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Bottom line is that there are a lot of good Nikon bodies, but the F6 is the pinnacle. Period. You will NEVER regret that purchase.