Would you consider Polaroid Medium format?

Discussion in 'Instant Cameras, Backs and Film' started by EASmithV, Mar 19, 2012.

1. EASmithV

EASmithV Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Would you consider Polaroid or Instax medium format?

I know a lot of people consider the instant 4x5 materials as Large format, does that mean that film made by an SX-70 or an instax is medium format?

2. Trask

Trask Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Well, not to duck the question, but does it really matter? OK, maybe if you're entering a contest for "large format" practitioners, then you'd want a definition. Otherwise, it's really a matter of semantics. What we now call medium format used to be called "miniature" many decades ago. But, my two cents...Polaroid 665 gave negatives that are 3 1/4 inches by 4 1/4 inches. That's considerably more than what is "normally" considered medium format these days (2 1/4 by 2 1/4, 2 1/4 by 3 1/4) -- probably about 180% of the latter. So you'd be justified, I think, in calling it large format if you wish. Plus you have to file the negs individually as do large format users --it's not roll film.

3. paul ewins

paul ewins Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    To be honest, now that the film and neg combo is no longer available, Polaroid is just Polaroid (except that is Fuji). The distinction made between 35mm, MF and LF was all about the ability to make various sized enlargements. A polaroid is an artefact in itself, not an intermediate step to a print, so it really has nothing to do with the classifications of negative formats.

4. xya

xya Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  5. maarten m

maarten m Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    IMPOSSIBLE is doing a good job to re-introduce "instant film" that fits the well-known polaroid camera's.
    myself, i use the PX70-film in my SX-70 folder.

http://www.the-impossible-project.com/

6. BrianShaw

BrianShaw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It is completely in a class of its own.

7. keithwms

keithwms Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yep. I call it instant film.

8. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Unless you're getting a 5x4 negative (or larger) it's just a print and rather format less, as others have said just an instant print.

Ian

9. nickrapak

nickrapak Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Admittedly never having shot LF, I would have considered the negative from 665 to be on the MF-LF border. Since it was for all intents and purposes a sheet film, that would have crossed it over to a large format classification for me. I do not count any other Polaroid film as any "format", since you can't enlarge by projection.

10. ChristopherCoy

ChristopherCoy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format

Is this why the SX-70 is still commanding high prices on eBay? I didn't realize there was film still available for it!!

11. maarten m

maarten m Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    i guess, those people putting them on ebay (or buying them from) probably know of the project.
    still i think prices are way too high there, so look arround your local 2nd hand sources, i found much better prices there.
    the impossible film is still quite experimental, so don't expect results like the instax.
    don't forget IMPOSSIBLE had to start completely from scratch and re-invent the whole chemistry.

12. Trask

Trask Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I've got maybe 15 packs of 665 in my fridge, so for me, for the moment, Polaroid remains an option. I'm trying to save if for subjects I think are worthy.

13. BrianL

BrianL Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I always considered the pack film size to be LF as it is sheet film and when used in a pack film camera it is significantly larger than most MF cameras as well.

Also, from a handling perspective, though Polaroid advertised it as a handheld, my expereince over the decades has been if not tripod mounted, there was at almost any exposure speed the camera shake is evident even using a cable release.

14. aterimagery

aterimagery Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well, I know that if I clear a Fuji FP-100C or B negative and want to scan it, I certainly can't use a transmissive scanner that only takes 120 or 35mm. For this reason, I think the cheapest thing I could get is an Epson V700.

So from the perspective of buying scanners for the negatives, it might as well be large format. Only exception might be if you use a polaroid back for a hasselblad or something, then clear the negative and trim it. Then it's 6x6cm 120 format.

15. Bill Burk

Bill Burk Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Haa, yes the Impossible Project has been making film for SX-70 long enough that my first batch already expired and dried out on me. Have to use it while it's fresh.