Would you pay $521 for this.......?

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by mikewhi, Aug 16, 2005.

1. mikewhi

mikewhi Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
  2. Loose Gravel

Loose Gravel Member

When you put it that way ... NO.

3. esanford

esanford Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    You have to be really careful on EBAY.... there is a lot of bidding frenzy by people who, in my opinion, are addicted competitive shoppers.... they just have to win!!!!

4. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Given that there were three bidders willing to pay that price, one of whom I'm sure knows how much Michael and Paula are charging, there may be more going on there than meets the eye. It could be from the last batch of US made Azo, which some say is better than the more recent Canadian or Brazilian Azo.

5. mikewhi

mikewhi Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Yeah, I kinda recognized one of those bidders show knew better<g>. I sent an e-mail to the winner asking if this was a special batch, but he didn't reply.
    Oh well. I do have 250sh of circa 1970 8x10 at home but I'm not such an expert at AZO that I can differentiate among the batches. All I know is that AZO Gr 2 from a current batch has a really long scale - can it get any better than almost matching pt\pd? Are the midtones better seperated or something?

Probably urban legend.

-Mike

6. Mongo

Mongo Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The box in the 2nd auction is 8.5x11 paper...I'm not sure I even knew Kodak made Azo in that size. But I can't imagine that's the reason the price got so high...not many people out there are shooting 8.5x11 negatives. Unless I've missed something...always a possibility.

7. Donald Miller

Donald Miller Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I had some 8 1/2 X 11 Azo that I had purchased a couple of years ago. It was old and was markedly better then the new emulsion. I think that it had the cadium incorporated emulsion.

8. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    B&H had 8.5x11 Azo in stock until fairly recently. It's handy for contact sheets from rollfilm, especially 35mm, so you can really fit 36 frames and have some room to punch holes and put the sheet in a binder.

9. Dave Wooten

Dave Wooten Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Donald It's past Dave's bedtime.

10. Mongo

Mongo Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the information David. I've been making proof sheets on 8x10 seemingly forever...I'll have to track down some 8.5x11 to give it a try. Sounds like a great solution to the problems I've had with 35mm proof sheets.

Be well.
    Dave

11. jimgalli

jimgalli Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Where are these wild eyed crazed folk when I have an auction?

Oh no another mini-definition for the definers: Pre 1970 AZO, Pre foreign Azo, USA Azo.

Anyone have some pre Agfa, Gevaert Contactone they want to sell me?

12. c6h6o3

c6h6o3 Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    ...not if it is Rochester Azo. I have most of a precious 100 sheet box of it, and it's vastly superior to the Canadian paper. If I knew that it was from a pre-Canada master roll, I would've paid considerably more than the winning bid for it. So would Michael Smith, I'll wager, unless they have a stash of it already put away.