Wow, have you seen this?

Discussion in 'Book, Magazine, Gallery Reviews, Shows & Contests' started by CraigK, Sep 6, 2006.

1. CraigK

CraigK Member

In the newest issue of Vanity fair (out today I think), there is a photo essay of previously unreleased photos of the twin towers on 911

There is even an absolutely amazing Daguerrotype in the series.

Have a look at the series here:

2. mark

mark Member

Thanks

3. Cooki

Cooki Member

Shooter:
    Sub 35mm
    Isn't this the perfect example of why we always carry a camera in our pocket?

4. Bill Mitchell

Bill Mitchell Member

Is that a Daguerrotype in your pocket, or are you just glad to see me?

Uh....

5. copake_ham

copake_ham Inactive

Shooter:
    35mm
    WTF? A "Daguerrotype"?

Where? Are you referring to image 8 which is a poorly scanned slide that seems to have vignetting and also wasn't cropped?

VF's name says it all - what do they consider this - a review of a friggin' fashion shoot?

6. CraigK

CraigK Member

Not having seen the actual image in person, I can only rely on the photo caption which reads:

An expert in 19th-century photographic techniques brought a wooden view camera and a daguerreotype plate to his Chelsea rooftop, capturing this three-second exposure as the south tower disappeared on the horizon

And on the photo credit which is given to Jerry Spagnoli a modern daguerrotypist.

Your conclusion that it is a badly scanned, uncropped slide is based on what?

I'm not sure what this actually means...other than perhaps your blood sugar is low.

7. copake_ham

copake_ham Inactive

Shooter:
    35mm
  8. naturephoto1

naturephoto1 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I can't say much about the quality from what is on the web for Vanity Fair, but the photos are still very disturbing and upsetting even after 5 years.

Rich

9. jtsatterlee

jtsatterlee Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    A friend/aquaintence knows Jerry Spagnoli and has discussed this image with him.

Accoring to my friend - the image was taken while the towers fell, Jery opened the shutter (removed the barrel stop) had his back to the scene while the towers fell and then turned back around when the exposure was complete. I was told that he was disorientated for a moment trying to understand the new sceneand re-orient himself.

10. mark

mark Member