Wratten 2 Filters

Discussion in 'Product Availability' started by Helen B, Oct 6, 2006.

1. Helen B

Helen B Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Kodak have introduced a new Wratten filter range, Wratten 2.

Best,
    Helen

2. JHannon

JHannon Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Interesting..thanks for the information. I don't see my old friend the #90 viewing filter anymore (unless they named it something else).

3. fparnold

fparnold Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It's at the bottom of "Basic Color Filters", though you can only get it in 3, 4, and 6 inch versions.

4. JHannon

JHannon Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I see it now! Thanks!

5. DBP

DBP Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Does anyone find it peculiar that they make a great point of a "six month" lifespan?

6. MichaelBriggs

MichaelBriggs Member

These filters are listed in the Motion Picture Products section. Maybe Hollywood thinks nothing of replacing filters every 6 months.

It says "With the same spectral response and color as current WRATTEN Gelatin Filters, the new KODAK WRATTEN 2 Optical Filters also offer several improvements:". So "gelatin" --> "optical" -- of course the filters are "optical", and "optical" doesn't reveal the material, presumably not gelatin. What is the new material? Polyester, such as Lee uses?

Some colors are available in huge sizes, 150 mm square, 300 mm square and 350 x 450 mm. That should cover even the biggest LF lens. But what is the price?

7. MarkS

MarkS Member

Perhaps the "6 month" phrase is adspeak referring to the hard use gels see and their consumable nature. The reference book "Kodak Filters" has a complicated series of ratings to determine the lifespan of a gel filter, that is, its relative fade resistance.
    I'd imagine these new filters are made of polyester. And the Kodak gels have long been available in very large sizes- up to 12" square. I don't know how much they cost- but the phrase "very expensive" comes to mind. Of course they may well have been dicontinued.