Wrong compendium, any use anyway?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Equipment' started by olleorama, Nov 23, 2009.

1. olleorama

olleorama Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Bought a compendium for my RB67, at least that was what I thought. It was an impulse buy and I should have looked at the pics better. When I got it today I realised that it was not for the RB but for the 645. The retaining ring is a ø67 mm, and the RB uses 77. The biggest difference is that this compendium is Rectangular, which means I will have to turn the compendium 90 degrees when I revolve the back, or pull the bellows back a bit.

So what to do? Use it anyway with a 67-77 step down ring and risk vignetting or pass it on? I like it because it has two filter slots, and it has a real PRO look, which my plunger rubber hood hasn't.

What would you do? I only paid $35 so it's no big deal really. But I have a policy about gear, what I don't use I don't keep.

2. markbarendt

markbarendt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Pass it on.

3. Bosaiya

Bosaiya Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I'd imagine it'd vignette like crazy. That being said there's probably someone out there with a 645 wondering what the heck he should do with the RB67 shade he bought by mistake. I mean, considering the number of people who have found each other through dating sites there's got to be at least one out there for you!

4. DanielStone

DanielStone Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've been wondering the same thing about the Fuji 6x680 compendium shades...

I have an RZ system, and using one on those lenses. Anyone know of where I could get a 77-85 step up ring?:surprised:

-Dan

5. Bosaiya

Bosaiya Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I've got the shades for both the RB/RZ and the GX680. Are you wondering if the RB/RZ will work on the GX680?

6. DanielStone

DanielStone Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    no, the other way around. GX680 compendium on the RZ with a step-up ring (77-85)

-Dan

7. Bosaiya

Bosaiya Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    The outside diameter of the GX680 lenses are significantly larger than the RB lenses. The shade slips over the lens and is held in place with a set screw. You could probably rig up something out of tape or pipe to go on the RB lens that will make it wide enough to hold the GX shade. A step-up ring won't help because of how it attaches.

Does that make sense?

8. DanielStone

DanielStone Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    ya, thanks...

I got the G3 hood for the rz, and its great! but having seen some of the gx680 hoods go somewhat cheaply lately(and the g3 ones NOT cheaply :smile:), I thought of jury-rigging something up.

might have to do that after all.

thanks for the help

-Dan

9. Bosaiya

Bosaiya Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Better too big than too small. You'll just need to wrap something around the RB lens.

10. Jeff Searust

Jeff Searust Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format Pan
    this is too small

sell it... not worth messing with.