WTB 100 grams of Ferric Citrate

Discussion in '[Classifieds] Want to Buy' started by jp80874, Nov 20, 2012.

1. jp80874

jp80874 Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    I am trying to find and buy about 100 grams of Ferric Citrate within overnight shipping distance of Cleveland, OH USA.

On page 221 of Christopher James’, “Alternative Photographic Processes”, 2nd edition, James suggests substituting Ferric Citrate in equal parts for the standard Ferric Ammonium Citrate in part A to increase contrast.

It is not offered on either Bostick & Sullivan or Photographer’s Formulary websites. It does appear to be offered in vitamin capsules of 25 milligrams (fun to tear apart and accumulate 100 grams) or at huge chemical companies (in kilos) if I submit a request for quotation. What I need to figure out is how and where to buy about 100 grams of Ferric Citrate and get it here in a short period of time.

Thank you,

John Powers

2. nsurit

nsurit Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  3. Peter Schrager

Peter Schrager Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    call city chemical in west haven connecticut....my supplier for chems ....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

4. jp80874

jp80874 Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Thank you all for the help. After talking with Bostick & Sullivan we are going to try ammonium dichromate or potassium dichromate (see pages 222 and 223 in C. James). We have both dichromates in our classroom inventory. If that fails to get to reasonable contrast I will be the happy new owner of 250 grams of ferric citrate from http://www.sigmaaldrich.com/catalog/...g=en&region=US.

John

5. Nicholas Lindan

Nicholas Lindan Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have had good luck with buying odd chemicals on ebay. I notice there is someone selling 150g of Fe Citrate for $20, shipping included.

Ooops - just noticed it would be coming from Tallinn, Estonia.

There are some other sellers with NOS - at prices higher than Sigma's....

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2012
  6. jp80874

jp80874 Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Thanks Nick.
    I also posted on the LF Forum. Benrains from Bloomington, IN recommended chemsavers.com. That is the $32 one on eBay. That may be my best bet

Sandy King posted that the dichromate solution is a myth and not to waste my time.

John

7. Nicholas Lindan

Nicholas Lindan Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That's probably the best choice. But they aren't offering much of a discount over Sigma's $42. The bottle in the picture seems to show a date of "6/79" written on the label. The stuff is slightly volatile (well, it would have to be to react to light) - but if the bottle is kept sealed, as it appears to be, then it should be OK. Heck, I'd shoot film dated '79 - it wasn't very long ago ...

One of the rare times I agree with Mr. King: I never got much joy from dicromate - only grief. It does alter the chemistry, but it doesn't really do anything of note except to lower DMax.

If you are tempted to try the dichromate then add it just before coating. It seems to precipitate something if added too early. I have one bottle of Vandyke 'emulsion' that has plated out silver to the inside of the bottle - a brown bottle, kept in a closed cupboard in a very dark room.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2012