WTB: 3-1/4 x 4-1/4 Crown Graphic

Discussion in '[Classifieds] Want to Buy' started by matt miller, Dec 23, 2012.

1. matt miller

matt miller Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Haven't shot film for several years. Was going through my darkroom last night and ran across a box of 3x4 contact prints I made years ago. It was a thrilling find and I want to do it again, to continue working on long forgotten projects.

I'm looking for a 3-1/4 x 4-1/4 Crown Graphic with lens & holders. Film too really. If you have anything like this, please let me know.

Thank you!
    Matt

2. Peter Schrager

Peter Schrager Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    it's about time you got bcak into photography...still have that great print you sent me!!
    best to you matt!!
    Peter

3. Alan W

Alan W Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Why not get a 4x5 ?,there's plenty more film variety.

4. Old-N-Feeble

Old-N-Feeble Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Whatever Graflex camera you want I probably have it... and I need the cash.

5. matt miller

matt miller Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks Peter. I still have one of yours as well. I look forward to getting my hands wet again.

6. matt miller

matt miller Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I guess 4x5 is an option, I just really like the 3x4 size.

7. matt miller

matt miller Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thank you, I pm'd you.

8. Old-N-Feeble

Old-N-Feeble Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    PM replied to, Matt. I haven't researched prices lately but I'll treat you right. I'll post my offer publicly with pics.

9. Fixcinater

Fixcinater Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have 3 roll film holders (one Suydam and two Rollex brand) and a 12-shot bag mag if you'd be interested. I have only 2x3 and 4x5 equipment so these are of no use to me.

10. Old-N-Feeble

Old-N-Feeble Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sorry for the delay. I've been tied up with other things. This camera is in very nice condition showing very few signs of use other than some minor polishing of the leather covering in the usual places. It has a Graflok back and working Kart rangefinder with good mirror. The price depends on whether or not you need a lens board (or more than one), viewfinder with/without mask(s), and one or more sets of infinity stops. If you don't need anything but the camera itself then I'll sell it for $95 shipped to Iowa. If you're interested then I'll post photos in this thread.

11. matt miller

matt miller Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm definitely interested. I won't use the rangefinder or viewfinder, just the glass. I will need a lens & working shutter however, film holders too. I'm looking for something in the 150-180mm range. I used to use a 15cm CZ Tessar with 3x4 and really liked it.

Matt

12. matt miller

matt miller Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I appreciate your offer. I have no interest in roll film, but the 12-shot bag mag might interest me depending on condition & price. I prefer normal film holders though.

Thanks,
    Matt

13. Old-N-Feeble

Old-N-Feeble Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It's a good price for an example this nice. It's not mint by any stretch but its certainly one of the better ones. The pop-out hood is included. Add $15 for a nice lens board.

I have a few lenses in the 150-180mm focal range... 162mm Optars, 165mm and 180mm CZJ Tessars, 150mm Apo Symmar, 180mm Symmar-S, 152mm Ektar... to name a few. Are you trying to stay within a budget? Are size and weight of any concern? Any particular vintage you want? Is maximum aperture important?

14. matt miller

matt miller Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The 165 Tessar sounds great, I'd like to hear more about it.
    My budget is around $3-500

Thanks!
    Matt

15. Old-N-Feeble

Old-N-Feeble Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The Tessar is way under your budget so no worries there. It's a very fine lens... just not very pricey. Being non-coated you'll need to shade it from direct light hitting the glass during exposure. It's in a nice dial-set Compur shutter with perfect glass. The shutter shows very minor brassing on the outer edges from being handled. How does $85 for the lens when bought/shipped with the camera sound to you?

You need photos of the camera, 165mm CZJ Tessar and a lens board. I'll post pics tomorrow.

Do you need 3x4 DDS film holders? I have some but I'll need to check their condition. Let me know if you're interested and I'll dig them out of their storage box.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 25, 2012
  16. matt miller

matt miller Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks Mike. The Tessar and Compur sound good. I will definitely need film holders. Please do let me know what you have.

I've been looking for film as well. Looks to me like no one makes it anymore. I used Efke last time. Any ideas where I might find film in this size? This might be a game changer for me on the 3x4 size. Does Ilford still do a special cutting for odd sizes?

17. Old-N-Feeble

Old-N-Feeble Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You're welcome, Matt. Thank you for purchasing these. I promise you'll not regret it. I'll have a look at the film holders and post photos of everything today. I also have a couple of 3x4 film processing hangers you can have with the camera and lens.

I've seen 3x4 film very recently but I can't remember where. I'll look for it. AFAIK, Ilford does still accept special group orders but that's only once per several months. If need be you can always cut 4x5 to fit but it's easier just to stock up when it's available.

18. Old-N-Feeble

Old-N-Feeble Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm charging my camera battery. Sorry... I should have done that yesterday.

EDIT: It's not taking a charge. I'll dig up another battery.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2012
  19. Vaughn

Vaughn Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Matt,

The box of 1989 Plus-X film is in the mail...

20. matt miller

matt miller Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks Vaughn!

No worries Mike. I'm not in a rush.

I am looking forward to wet fingers though!

21. Old-N-Feeble

Old-N-Feeble Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format

Here are the pics of everything except the film holders. I ran out of light so I post photos of them tomorrow.

DSCN7172.JPG DSCN7175.JPG DSCN7185.JPG

DSCN7181.JPG DSCN7184.JPG DSCN7188.JPG

DSCN7194.JPG DSCN7199.JPG DSCN7207.JPG

22. matt miller

matt miller Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Awesome. That Crown looks super clean. Let's do this deal

23. Old-N-Feeble

Old-N-Feeble Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes, it is a nice one. Please don't expect it to be nearly mint because it's not. The photos are accurate so you'll not be surprised by anything. BTW, I never label anything I sell or trade as "mint". I'll call something "nearly mint" every-so-often if it's essentially like new. I'd call this 3x4 CG exc+ or 8.5/10 and the lens exc. for its age or maybe 7/10 but no higher.

24. matt miller

matt miller Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I apologize for the delay in payment. Unfortunately, it's going to be a while longer now. The "shit hit the fan" yesterday around here. To top it all off, I was driving home from the grocery store in my wife's car when a rock or a piece of ice from a passing truck hit the passenger side window and shattered it. That's going to cost me around $350 on Monday morning. There goes my camera fund. It will take me a month or so to build it back up. I will contact you then to see if you still have it. Thanks for all your help with this. I hope you still have it in a month.

25. Old-N-Feeble

Old-N-Feeble Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm sorry about your misfortune. Good luck with the repair. I had an old car a few years ago with a broken side glass. I bought a window from a junk yard and had a shade-tree mechanic install it. The total was only $80. But that was a common old car with lots of junk yard parts available.

I have tons of other stuff to sell so I don't mind waiting awhile.