WTB: 4x5 outfit for a beginner

Discussion in '[Classifieds] Want to Buy' started by nicholai, Oct 28, 2012.

1. nicholai

nicholai Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi there!
    Looking to get into LF, and so i need a complete large format camera outfit. Preferably a view camera, but at least one with GG.
    Not looking for something grandiose, just an affordable setup.
    Send me offers! I reside in EU, but for the right setup i will be willing to pay shipping from the US.

2. summicron1

summicron1 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    find yourself a nice Crown Graphic with a kodak Ektar or Graflex lens (same thing, different name) and you'll have a nice beginner's rig -- modest swings and tilts on the front standard, supreme quality, accurate rangefinder or ground glass option.. You can get this whole thing for less than 400 Euros. KEH camera brokers should have a nice selection. You can also get a Speed Graphic, same thing but the added bonus of a focal plane shutter.

3. CollinB

CollinB Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Here's a 4x5 outfit that might fit the bill

Cambo SC with Symmar-S 180mm.
    Also includes bag bellows and recessed lens board.
    And a bunch of film. The APX box is still sealed.
    And three film holders.
    Comes in a hefty wood case.

$500 + shipping for all.

Attached Files:

4. Jesper

Jesper Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have an extra Cambo in Lund in Sweden if you're interested.
    Ordinary bellows and bag bellows. Lens etc depending on your needs.

5. dave shutter

dave shutter Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Have an Cambo monorail with board and cloth for £180 and shipping. Condition as
    New
    Or £200 with a film holder
    Money transfer pref. but PayPal ok if you pay the fees
    Dave

6. rrankin

rrankin Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I've got a Speed Graphic with a focal plane shutter. It has one lens board, no handle, but with the focal plane shutter, you can buy cheaper barrel lenses and use them. I only need $120 for it. I was going to dismantle it and just use the focal plane shutter, but I'll never get around to it...

Richard

7. Stephanie Brim

Stephanie Brim Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The Speed Graphic is a good investment, I think. I agree about the shutter. It's fun to be able to shoot barrel lenses, and most of the time they're quite a few hundred dollars cheaper...

The only issue I have with mine is that it's harder to find lens boards since it takes the ones with the rounded corners and the lip. They are NOT cheap on Ebay. SK Grimes can make them, though, I think?

8. rrankin

rrankin Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    The one on my camera is square and seems to fit ok. With barrel lenses small enough for 4x5, you can mount them on black foam-filled poster board from WalMart for less than a dollar. I've heard people use pvc pipe, too, but don't know how that is done.

Might not be worth the postage to Denmark, though.

Richard

9. Stephanie Brim

Stephanie Brim Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Mine is the older model, so it has the ones that are annoying to find.

Right now I'm using cardboard and electrical tape. I spent $20 tops on this lens. Really don't want to spend the money to have the people at Grimes make the board and the flange unless I really like it. Heh.

10. Old-N-Feeble

Old-N-Feeble Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Overseas shipping is what's going to be the deal-breaker. I've got several Graphic View monorails I could sell with a lens board, lens, and a couple of film holders... all for US$150 per kit... but the shipping cost is way too high for bulky/heavy items.

Stephanie... Is your SG a 4x5? I have a stack of 70+ CG/SG metal lens boards for sale/trade.

11. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    These lens boards are dirt cheap, I get new ones from Heavystar on ebay 3 for $39 give or take a few cents, and even shipped to the UK they are great value. I wouldn't touch Grimes, over priced and over hyped, there's other companies who will do the same cheaper and just as well.

I make my own boards for older Speed Graphics although I seem to have acquired a surplus.

In Europe I'd look for a cheap Cambo Cadet, I sold one recently as an outfit with a good lens for under 200 euros. But there's better Cambo's for very little more and I'd look at the ones you've been offer in this thread from the EU. Importing from the US could mean somewhere between 25-30% Import Duty & VAT on top.

Personally I wouldn't recommend a Graflex Speed or Crown Graphic as a first LF camera, and that's from someone who's been using them a lot. The movements are very limited and inadequate, I mainly used mine hand held where no tripods are permitted but now mainly use a Super Graphic instead, it has all the movements I normally need and is still light and robust.

Ian

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2012
  12. Stephanie Brim

Stephanie Brim Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yeah. I need one with a hole for an Ilex Universal #3...but the other I need custom drilled and a flange made. So Grimes may be the best option there.

13. Old-N-Feeble

Old-N-Feeble Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Stephanie... PM sent.

Nicholai... Are there no sources for used large format camera equipment closer to you?

14. nicholai

nicholai Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    150$ pr kit sounds reasonable, probably even including shipping! Would you mind checking costs for shipping?

15. Old-N-Feeble

Old-N-Feeble Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Nicholai... USPS Priority Mail is US$87. Add US$5 for US$300 insurance coverage (covers your shipping cost too). If you want one of these please remember there's nothing fancy about the camera, holders or lens (135mm Optar). Everything is in good working order though.

I forgot to mention that this will come with a hard case. Shipping weight is approximately 25 pounds (11.5 kilograms) and it must ship as a "large package".

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2012