WTB - 4x5" Plate Holder - Linhof or Similar

Discussion in '[Classifieds] Want to Buy' started by holmburgers, Jun 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. holmburgers

holmburgers Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm looking for a plate holder that will fit in a standard 4x5" spring back and has a pressure plate that pushes the plate against the perimeter of the holder, at the focal plane. I can clarify if that doesn't make sense...

Here is what the Linhof look likes - http://glennview.com/jpgs/vcam/linhof/filmholders/4x5/big_1.jpg

If you've got one, let me know and we'll figure out a price that works for both of us.

Thanks!

2. holmburgers

holmburgers Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Besides looking as rough as a yeti, can someone tell me if indeed this is a plate holder?

eBay #170655490086

It appears as though there is a single metal leaf spring. I don't know how useful it would be for my purpose, but worth checking...

3. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Those are plate holders, I've German 9x12 holders with similar springs. Quick flick of black paint or some stain and they'd look good :D

Ian

4. holmburgers

holmburgers Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hmm.. so this is effectively the same as the Linhof, but I'll need a piece of glass on the backside to allow that leaf-spring to work.

The price is right :wink:

5. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    No they work as is, the spring holds the plate against the front, it won't break a plate it's not that strong. If you want to use film though then some use glass, card or a proper metal insert.

Ian

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2011
  6. holmburgers

holmburgers Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ahh, ok. I kind of mispoke. The Linhof is much more sophisticated, having the whole back asserting pressure.

Do you think (I realize this is a hard thing to judge) that if I put a mask (RGB reseau on E6) in front of a piece of film in this holder that it will hold them completely flush?

7. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You could put a thin piece of card or metal behind, those holders may be more tolerant than the Linhof's which are post WWII so possibly dual function plate & film.

Ian

8. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A sudden late night thought (as I'm in Europe).

What about Graflex film pack holders, cheap as they are useless but you could adapt to do all sorts with a home made pressure plate.

Ian

9. holmburgers

holmburgers Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That's not a bad idea at all. I probably wouldn't have ventured to make a pressure plate on my own accord, but now that you mention it.. it doesn't sound that hard.

So is the back surface of the holder rigid & strong enough to support the push of a spring? And what to use for the spring material... hmm.. I can almost see it!

Since it's really late there now, please dream up the rest of the details.

10. holmburgers

holmburgers Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    ok, having looked up some pictures I see that there are already 2 leaf springs present. If that's the case, then it's just a matter of finding a material for the plate that's of suitable thickness.

Could it really be that easy?

11. c.d.ewen

c.d.ewen Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Hey Holmey:

Just looked in the file cabinet and found a busted Linhof - the springloaded end flaps are broken off and it doesn't have darkslides, but the pressure plates on both sides are fine.

Yours for the postage.

Charley

ps: Just a random thought: 1.20mm glass plates fit easily into these Linhofs. Would sandwitching your screen and film between two plates be a useful technique? I get my glass from S. I. Howard in Worcester, MA. They carry glass down to 0.40mm. They'll cut it to any size you want, and the pieces won't be more than a couple thousandths of an inch off from what you specify. Nice folks, too.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2011
  12. holmburgers

holmburgers Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Charley, that's a generous offer (pm pending). Can I put a normal 4x5 holder's darkslide in there? How about the end flaps... any ideas for circumventing that problem?

I think that putting the sheets between glass is a fine idea. I'm wanting this so that I can make screen-plate color photographs. Reading the History of Color Photography and all the myriad methods that people used to put a screen with a piece of screen could fill quite a volume. However, the last paragraph basically says that the simplest & most effective means is just to use a glass pressure plate! So much for fumbling with strange adhesives in the dark...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.