WTB: 6x6 Replacement Bellows

Discussion in '[Classifieds] Want to Buy' started by Fragomeni, Sep 21, 2011.

1. Fragomeni

Fragomeni Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi all,

I'm looking for a set of 6x6 replacement bellows. I'm working on a project which requires a set of bellows like what would come on a common set of macro bellows for 35mm but slightly larger (basically the size of medium format macro bellows). I've looked at a few options such as replacement bellows for Hasselblad Arc Body and Flexbody cameras, bellows from a Pentax 67 macro bellows, bellows from Mamiya auto bellows etc. The problem is everything I can think of comes from an expensive source. I'm wondering if anyone here as set of square medium format size replacement bellows available. Please let me know. Thank you!

2. ausphoto

ausphoto Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    buy a cheap 6x6 folder with a trashed lens and cannibalise for the bellows?

3. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have a set off a Durst enlarger, I'll see if I can find them later (this evening UK time). The other option is make some it's not that difficult these are a set I made for my Quarter plate camera, a non tapering set is easier still. Total cost less than $10 and that's with materials left over for more.

[​IMG]

Ian

4. johnielvis

johnielvis Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    yeah---durst are square all the way through, but hard to find---omega b22 bellows are pretty big nice too but slight taper...search craigslist for junk enlargers--OR, get one of them folding polaroid cameras---bigger than 6x6 but will work if you are determined.

alternatively--the bellows draw for medium format is pretty small--you can get some dark fabric/material and make a bag bellows---you won't have sagging problems at the medium format size so a folding bellows is really strictly not a functional necessity for medium format....double construction type heavy plasic bags....or build up a bellows using cardboard and the 3m black photographers tape---that photographers tape is strong and long lasting. one dude made a ulf bellows out of plastic bags that looked pretty good and worked.

5. Fragomeni

Fragomeni Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yea I definitely need square bellows for what I'm working on. Its one of my homebrew camera designs. Pulling them off of an old enlarger isn't a bad idea. I used to have several sitting around but tossed them last time we did a big cleaning.

I could just make them I suppose. Ian, can you reference any link that you got instructions or a pattern from and also the materials you used. I've made them before but used too thick material so they didn't work out that well.

Thanks to all for the help!

6. mablo

mablo Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  7. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I make my own materials, I restore focal pnae and other curtain shutters and make my own shutter cloth and essentially used this for my bellows.

It's very simple, I use black acrylic paint to seal and make thin black material light-tight, I work it into the cloth wiping off excess - this part is important for best flexibility. I've used 4 different Acrylic paints up to now, while all are fully light-tight I prefer one variety for shutter curtains as there's better flexibility, and another for things like bellows where the finish is more silk like (as opposed to matt). I do use the matt finish on the inside of bellows. It's aslo usefull for restoring bellows.

I found you needed to look at a few website for bellows making, none was quite right, I tend to make a paper version first, and now have my patterns drwn up in CorelDraw which I just adapt as needed.

Will check out the Durst bellows in an hour or so if I can find them. :D

Ian

8. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    PM sent re-Durst bellows.

Ian

9. Jerevan

Jerevan Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
  10. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    The Mamiya TLRs have two sets of bellows. The outer bellows are rectangular and enclose the viewing and taking lenses. Inside there is a square bellows for just the taking lens.

A scrap TLR would be a good bellows donor. I have one here. It wouldn't be worth posting the whole body to you but if I can work out how to remove them, I could send the inner bellows to you.

Steve.

11. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  12. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Cambo SC and similar cameras utilize 6x6 bellows, you might find a camera or bellows uber-cheap on auction sites.

13. Fragomeni

Fragomeni Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Are the bellows you mention square? I need bellows that are around 2.5x2.5 - 3x3 inches with reasonable extension (haven't figured out exactly how long yet).

Since I'm pretty specific about the size and dimensions I need, I'll probably just end up making a set. I'll go either the Gaffers tape route or maybe put a little more effort into it and do as Ian has sugested.

14. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If I had time I'd make some for you :D Too many issues/problems and zero time :smile:

Ian

15. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    As I have plans to use the outer, rectangular bellows myself, I might have a go at taking the body apart tomorrow. I will let you know what I find. I suspect that the internal dimensions are at least 2.25" square.

Steve.

16. Fragomeni

Fragomeni Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Haha no worries. I like making stuff anyway so I'm kind of looking forward to making them.

Definitely let me know when you get it all taken apart. Thanks!

17. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Bad news unfortunately. As the bellows does not go as far as the film plane, it doesn't need to be full width/height.

These bellows have an internal dimension of 40mm or about 1.6" so I think the DIY approach is your best option now. Sorry.

This probably also means that the outer bellows is too small for what I had planned!

Steve.

18. Fragomeni

Fragomeni Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Darn, no worries. Thanks for checking! I appreciate it!

19. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Have you considered scavenging the bellows from a Polaroid?

20. Fragomeni

Fragomeni Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm going to see what polaroids i have stored away tonight to see if any have square bellows. Beign square is important for the purposes of this project. It'll be a nice surprise if I have acceptable bellows in a box somewhere :smile:

21. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The bellows on my 110a are rectangular, but I'm sure there must be a couple of models that utilized square ones.

22. Fragomeni

Fragomeni Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I checked the Polaroid bodies I have and they're rectangular. A buddy of mine has a bunch of random camera parts and there are some bellows in there that he thinks might work. I'll see him Wed and hopefully there is someting there that'll work.