WTB - 70mm film processing reel

Discussion in '[Classifieds] Want to Buy' started by gorbas, Jul 1, 2012.

1. gorbas

gorbas Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm Pan
    Looking for 70mm film processing reel or 70mm reel & tank...
    Or you have an idea how to modify some other 120 format processing reel for it. It doesn't have to have full, "standard" capacity/ lenght of 15' of 70m film
    Also looking for film 70mm sleeves....
    I'm located in Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Thank you in advance!
    Goran

2. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  3. gorbas

gorbas Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm Pan
    Thank you Matt! It was just small project turning suddenly in weird direction. My wish is not to go too crazy about it.

4. Mackinaw

Mackinaw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Years back, when my employer had me shooting a lot of 70mm CIR film, I tried some home processing in E-6 chemistry. Of course I needed a 70mm reel which are very hard to find so I had to make a reel myself. After a long search, I found a 120 reel that had a plastic shaft connecting the two metal spiral ends. I cut the plastic shaft in 1/2 and inserted a spacer in the middle so the length of the shaft would accommodate the width of 70mm film. My jury-rigged reel worked well. If I could had it I'd send it to you, but I threw it out years ago. Still, it was easy to build so maybe you can do the same.

Jim B.

5. gorbas

gorbas Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm Pan
    Thank you Jim! You nailed it! That is exactly mi idea. Use appropriate 35/120 reel and modify it to accept 70mm. Only problem is that I'm using Paterson reels for the last 35 years and don't have experience with other reel types/brands.
    Goran

6. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The Paterson reels can be modified to take different film sizes, provided that you are prepared to sacrifice their ability to adjust for normal sizes.

Unfortunately, I cannot locate the internet link that tells you how :sad:.

IIRC, it actually deals with modifications to permit development of 116/616 film, which I believe means that it will work for 70mm.

The old Ansco tanks that required agitation by twirling an agitation rod and didn't permit inversion could be adjusted for 116/616 film.

One like the one shown here: http://www.vintagepaperads.com/1953-Ansco-Developing-Tank-Ad--Self-Loading-Reel_p_64613.html

7. europanorama

europanorama Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format Pan
    you would need a jobo testdrum(the one for 10x40cm prints) plus 70mm 2517 reel. only 500ml chemistry is needed.
    yes this drum is only working on jobo-machines cpa, cpp2 or cpe. 220-lenght only. ask more in panorama discussion-group on yahoo-tech-groups.

8. frobozz

frobozz Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    I've got the Nikor non-daylight-tank setup for 70mm. Stainless reel and tank. You can see it here in this picture, where I prove that my Hewes long-roll 35mm reel won't quite fit into the tank :-(

I think I paid $50 for it. I'd take that for it, plus whatever it would cost to get it from Chicago to Vancouver. Though I'd have to go figure out which box it's in, in storage...

Duncan

[​IMG]

9. johnielvis

johnielvis Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  10. gorbas

gorbas Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm Pan
    Thank you very much for offers Duncan & Johnielvis!!
    I was able to find one Nikor 70mm reel locally. More than 30 years old/new stock. I don't think that I will go for full set up here for processing (don't we all wish the same, all the time??) so with addition of one tupperware container I will be ready for 70mm film processing in the dark. This reel is 4 1/4" wide.
    IMG_2002.jpg

11. Kav

Kav Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If you still have this over the weekend I may pick it up from you if you are still looking to sell it.

12. John Shriver

John Shriver Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    That 70mm reel is certainly unusual, I had no idea that they made such a beast. What is the outside diameter, does it need to go in the larger 4-1/4" diameter tanks?

I have a couple of the 116/616 reels, which fit in a Q15 to Q18 tank. They show up on eBay several times a year.

13. johnielvis

johnielvis Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    hey--I just had an idea--forget the tupperware--just get a stainless steel cooking pot that is the same size, right? totally light tight there--lid too..just figure some way to keep it sealed---small stainless pressure cooker from the thrift store may be the right size and will have locking lid....just a thought when I seen that reel

14. frobozz

frobozz Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    No, this is closer to 7" in diameter! (Though as you can see, a maddening 1mm or so too small for the Hewes reel to fit in...)

Duncan

15. frobozz

frobozz Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Well, the earlier (I think) Nikor system included 4.5" tanks, so that's what you need. Those are most often seen these days with the 4x5"-and-smaller cut sheet reel, but they had larger versions of 35mm and 120 reels for them too, and tanks of all sorts of heights to go along with them. Even deeper in storage, somewhere, I bet I have a 4.5" tank that would hold that reel (and is too small for the 4x5 reel, so not worth its weight in gold like that one is!)

Duncan