WTB - 8x10 Camera (cheap)

Discussion in '[Classifieds] Want to Buy' started by illumiquest, Mar 12, 2012.

1. illumiquest

illumiquest Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm looking for a beater 8x10 camera of almost any description. I have an old C.C. Harrison lens here which is great on a 4x5 but I want to stick it on an an 8x10 and really let it go to work.

I don't care what kind of camera it is, I don't care what it looks like, I don't care if the bellows have holes or if it has "significant polish marks", hammer marks or has taken a fall off a small building. As long as I'm able to stick a lens on the front and film in the back it should do the trick. At some point I'd like to give wet plate photography a go and this would be used for that as well.

"Sell me your tired, your poor, Your huddled camera yearning to breathe free..."

[​IMG]
    The Lens

[​IMG]
    This would look better on 8x10...

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2012
  2. EASmithV

EASmithV Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Holy crap that's a nice lens / photo made by the lens...

3. Old-N-Feeble

Old-N-Feeble Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm trying to understand what the pics have to do with your request to purchase. I DO like the pics!! I just don't understand how they fit in with your post unless you're too shy to do a little outright bragging... which those images deserve!!! :smile:

BTW... is the young lady single?? :whistling:

4. illumiquest

illumiquest Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I guess the images are just to show what I have and what I'm going to do with the potential new camera body. The lens needs a bigger negative to truly shine.

And yes, she is single. Good luck :wink:

5. Old-N-Feeble

Old-N-Feeble Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The girl reminds me of a young lady I saw in a movie recently. Oh yeah... the movie was called "Mystery Men" and she played a waitress who caught the eye and heart of one of the main characters... Ben Stiller, I think. What a sweetheart!! The gal, not Ben!!

Uhh... but wait... we were discussing cameras... or something... right? :smile:

6. John Austin

John Austin Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Don't rush,

A too cheap camera could be frustrating, the camera you need will have to have a strong front standard and have a smooth rear focusing standard

So, given your pix, I suggest a Sinar F or P 10x8" back and bellows, that way you won't have to buy the whole kit - If this is too expensive at the moment wait, you still have 5x4"

Also, staying with Sinar means you can get a Sinar-Copal Shutter to improve exposure consistency at wide apertures, where your object of optical grandure will best display itself

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2012
  7. lecarp

lecarp Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Or you could save some trouble and sell me that lens (Cheap).

8. AnonymousPictures

AnonymousPictures Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    8x10

I've got a cheap, but better than beater 8x10, but:

If that's the lens you're going to use we should talk first.

Rochester camera & maybe a bit frail to hold up that glass.

9. illumiquest

illumiquest Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    There are a few pieces I come across which I won't sell for awhile, A Widelux was one, an M2 was another and this is the third. I'd been looking for an old portrait lens for about five years and while I came across a few none really clicked with me. This is just a treat to use and the results are priceless.

10. jhw

jhw Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Quantify 'cheap' :smile: I've a Kodak 2D that seems to fit your bill, and it has the sliding tripod block and extension rack...and a 8x10>4x5 reducing back. It also has pinholes, over which I just drape a cloth. This was going to go up on LFF this weekend...so I can't go fire-sale price...but would be happy to try and help someone out...

11. illumiquest

illumiquest Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Got one, thanks Suzanne!

[​IMG]