WTB 8x10 film holders

Discussion in '[Classifieds] Want to Buy' started by EASmithV, Jan 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EASmithV

EASmithV Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm looking to buy as many 8x10 film holders as I can for $120, hoping for around 4 good ones, but maybe i'm dreaming. I do need them to be the same type as the Fidelity / Lisco type film holders, as they are slightly longer than the old Kodak types and these shorter ones do not fit my camera well.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2013
  2. Robert Hall

Robert Hall Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    I have some wooden holders, would those work for you?

3. Old-N-Feeble

Old-N-Feeble Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ebay's had some good deals lately. I just bought twenty-two 8x10 holders for US$200 shipped. They're supposed to all be good but... we'll see when they get here.

4. EASmithV

EASmithV Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have some wooden Kodak ones and a wooden Fidelity, but since my back was built around the Fidelity, it does not fit the Kodak holders correctly... The Fidelity ones are slightly longer and give a bitter gripping edge when they are inserted in the camera. Are the wooden ones the same sizes as a Fidelity?

5. Old-N-Feeble

Old-N-Feeble Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Pretty much any standard 8x10 holder should work well in any 8x10 camera with a standard 8x10 back. There's no reason wooden holders won't work just as well unless they're damaged. This may be my ignorance showing but I don't understand why your wooden holders don't fit your back unless it was built to non-standard specs.

6. Robert Hall

Robert Hall Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    I will check this evening.

7. EASmithV

EASmithV Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My back is not QUITE standard, as it is partially home-made. the part that sticks out of the camera on the fidelity holders is slightly larger, but this makes them significantly easier to seat properly and extract. While the other holders DO work, they are less convenient to use. I may get some though anyway if i have to, because i'm down to 3 holders and it's really not quite enough for what I'm doing. The below photos show a little bit of my difficulty... my back has a side which sticks out and covers up much of the part of the holder making it more difficult to extract.

image (1).jpg image.jpg

8. Old-N-Feeble

Old-N-Feeble Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Is is feasible for you to trim your back to common specs? Wooden holders don't have static electricity issues like plastic ones can have and they're not as modern-looking but I'm not trying to impress anyone. I got mine for $9 each shipped. I can't find plastic ones for less than $30 each and those are so cosmetically worn that appearance is no longer an issue vs. wooden ones. I can't find really nice modern plastic 8x10 holders for less than about $50 each. Of course, your choice hinges on how important price is to you. If price was of small concern to me I'd just buy the best and be happy that I could do so.:smile:

There are longer wooden holders, BTW, that are the same length as longer plastic ones. Fidelity with metal tops come to mind.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2013
  9. EASmithV

EASmithV Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm a little hesitant to fix what ain't broke. Fidelity with metal tops are ideal. The longer holder shown in that photo is exactly that.

10. EASmithV

EASmithV Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I just put out a few wild bids on the bay, we'll see what happens...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.