WTB: 8x10!

Discussion in '[Classifieds] Want to Buy' started by bvy, May 21, 2014.

1. bvy

bvy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm looking for a reasonably priced, as complete as possible, starter 8x10 set up. My plan is to set this up in a small studio with strobe. I would very occasionally use it for outdoor shoots (portraits), probably taking it no further than my backyard. Something with a longish lens with shutter would be nice, as well as a few holders. I've seen some of the B&J 8x10's go from $400 to $600, which is comfortably within my budget. Old is fine, but preferably nothing antique. Know in advance that I'll want to see pictures. Thanks!

2. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A monorail may be the most inexpensive. The older wood folding cameras (Kodak and Century) almost always require some restoration work. The best bet for a modern 8x10 camera is to find someone that bought one, no longer uses it, and realizes that it is only worth 1/2 what they paid. This is pretty rare, however, as it seems as if people selling things are under the impression that their brief possession of the item inflates its value.

3. CatLABS

CatLABS Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
  4. bvy

bvy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thank you both. I'm certainly not looking for an antique or restoration job.

Omer, I got your PM's and your B&J looks good. I'm doing some research on that particular camera, to see if I feel like it's something that will serve my purposes for a while...

5. bvy

bvy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have a few good leads, but I'm still looking...

6. JackRosa

JackRosa Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Toyo monorail

are you talking $600 for just the camera or for everything (lenses, holders, etc)? i have a Toyo monorail in excellent condition and a true telephoto lens (270m w/150mm bellows ext) and a super-sturdy tripod. no film holders for sale.

7. bvy

bvy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    $600 for as much as possible. Every outfit and offer is a little different, and I know I won't get everything. How hard are holders to find for that camera? Can you PM me some pictures of what you got? I'm interested.

8. Dr Croubie

Dr Croubie Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Toyo 6x6" lensboards are all over the 'bay, real and knockoff, as low as $20 each. You can also pick up adapters to their smaller 110mm field boards and/or Linhof/wista boards. I've actually got a recessed adapter on my 45G and all my lenses are on Linhof boards.
    Film holders are the other problem, if you wait you might get a deal for some at $30-50 (thanks Omer, mine arrived the other day!), or expect to pay $80-100 for something quicker on the 'bay.

9. JackRosa

JackRosa Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    8x10 gear

Agree with Dr, C on the lens boards, etc. My preference for the 8x10 Toyo is the 6x6 boards.

Film holders ... not so inexpensive. Careful that they have NO leaks. Film holders will fit any 8x1o camera as long as they have the proper back.

In my opinion, a STURDY (and I mean STURDY) tripod is a must.

10. JackRosa

JackRosa Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Lens fro 8x10

P.S. If you are just starting with 8x10 and do not intend to do professional work, don't send too much $$ on your first lens. You can find good used lenses on eBay (or classifieds) for a few hundred $$, or you can buy a brand-new 360mm Rodenstock or Schneider for $4,000+ I have used both, and need a 10x magnifying glass (with a 30x40 print) to tells the infinitesimal difference.

11. DrTang

DrTang Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Whelp...just went to a pre estate sale for an old guy selling off his stuff

ended up with a Grover 8x10 Flatbed and extension rail and some film holders and even a lens and tripod

now..these were all stored for a while..maybe 20 years..

and they all are more or less 'fixer uppers' if you want that kind of a challenge

for instance..the camera needs a back and some of the hardware could be replaced (although it works as is).. the film holders need new tape for the hinges

the lens is a cool Wollensak triple convertible (12", 20", 25") in an Alphax shutter that appears to be fine

and the tripod is a quickset (dirty and beat up - but very usable)

I was going to list (U no where) for 150 for the camera and extension; 100 for 3 holders, the lens would be 250 and the tripod would be ..oh..75 bucks

email me if interested and I'll get some pix going and better descriptions

12. bvy

bvy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks, DrTang, for thinking of me. It sounds like a potentially rewarding project for the right person. I'm holding out for something a bit more ready-to-go. That lens sounds intriguing though.

Meanwhile, I'm going back and forth between a few things offered to me here and one other thing on eBay.