WTB an affordable Twin Lens Reflex in a good shape

Discussion in '[Classifieds] Want to Buy' started by Sepia Hawk, Apr 29, 2013.

1. Sepia Hawk

Sepia Hawk Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm looking for an affordable TLR in a good shape. I would prefer Mamiya, Yashica or similar models (no Lomos please). As long as everything works as it should and the optics work I do not care about vintage. Please PM me with your offers. Thanks!

2. Richard S. (rich815)

Richard S. (rich815) Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    What's your definition of "affordable"?

3. Sepia Hawk

Sepia Hawk Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Up to $200 plus shipping.

4. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm not selling but in recent years I've bought 3 TLRs well under that limit and all are excellent performers, a Yashicamat 124 off this Forum, a Microcord (January this year) and by chance a Rolleiflex Automat at a flea market last month.

They are about, be careful though, I had to have the shutter on my Yashicamat serviced, but the Prontor on the Microcord and the Compur on the Automat are very smooth and accurate and the optics perfect.

So good luck I'm sure someone in Canada/US should be able to help you out.

Ian

5. Sepia Hawk

Sepia Hawk Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I think some Yashicas and older Mamiyas can be had for $100-150, but I'd like to buy something that actually works, so I prefer to ask here before going to Ebay.

6. Chris Johnson

Chris Johnson Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I have a Mamiya C220 with an 80 mm lens that I would part with for 200 dollars. It needs the folding hood for the waist level finder, but I have one on it made from mat board that works well. PM me. That price is PLUS shipping.

7. Chris Johnson

Chris Johnson Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I will throw in 10 rolls of Tmax 100 also.

8. jime11

jime11 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have been thinking of thinning the herd & have a Yashica 124G that is pretty clean - good glass & accurate shutter (the meter doesn't work) . $150 + shipping.
    Also I'm selling an SQa-M with 80mm and metered prism. Also an ETRs with metered prism & 45-90 lens. Both with 120 backs.

9. Sepia Hawk

Sepia Hawk Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thank you all. I think it is my lucky day - I went to my local Kijiji this morning and saw an ad for a lovely 1950s Aires Reflex Z. I've mailed the seller and he brought me the camera. So now I am a proud owner of my first TLR. I think $80 is a really good deal. I'll post some pictures in the Medium Format subforum later on.

10. tessar

tessar Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sounds like a terrific deal and a rare chance. I've never even seen an Aires Reflex. Does yours have the Nikkor lenses?

11. Sepia Hawk

Sepia Hawk Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes, it comes with Nikkor Q-C 1:3.5 75mm lens. It looks nice and everything seems to work just fine.

12. Richard S. (rich815)

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Personally I would have grabbed the Yashica or Mamiya offered here over the Aires but if you're not sure TLR cameras are for you at least you'll not have spent much finding out. There's a boatload of Japanese TLRs from the 50's and 60's and this one seems a middle of the road. Like anything what will matter most will be how it's been cared for over the years and how clean and fog free the lens is. In my many years of TLR experience I'm a strict Rollei person myself and with patience have obtained Rolliecords as cheap as $50 and even a Rolleiflex 2.8 Planar for $150, ugly but very useable. But these are rare to come by. Thing is older TLRs do require a good CLA to get the most out of them and even to confirm the focusing is not off and the better built in the first place and the more common they were for parts and experienced technicians the better. But wish you the best in this one. Which lens does this one have? The Nikkor, Zuiko or Coral?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2013
  13. Sepia Hawk

Sepia Hawk Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Nikkor. And it is very clean, otherwise I wouldn't have taken it. I think my plan is to use this for a bit and then get another one - Mamiya C220 or 330 is high on my list, because of the lenses. I don't mind having several TLRs... The same with my 35mm - I have an F-1 (currently being serviced) and plan to get an FTb. And lots of lenses.

14. Richard S. (rich815)

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Nice. Share photos later, ok?

15. Bill Burk

Bill Burk Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I shot 7 frames through that same glass Saturday, on a Tower Reflex... and I've taken it on a couple long backpacking trips

It's a good lens, if the camera works you will have something worth keeping. Relatively lightweight for a 2 1/4 x 2 1/4 camera.

16. R Plumber

R Plumber Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hi - I'm in Kingston (On) and have a Yashica-Mat which is in excellent shape. You can have it for $50.