WTB - Assorted Large Format things

Discussion in '[Classifieds] Want to Buy' started by sidearm613, Jul 10, 2011.

1. sidearm613

sidearm613 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    For the past year I have had a 4x5 camera in my room an have been unable to use it. Time to rectify that. Here's what I need/want:

1) Handheld light meter, preferably affordable with both incident and spot metering.

2) Paterson Orbital: Doesn't need to be beautiful, but it seems like the best solution for daylight processing large negatives and can also be used for 8x10 if I get a larger camera in the future

3) normal/wide-normal lens, preferably 135mm in a modern shutter.

4) Just an inquiry here: My camera is an old Calumet monorail that takes 4x4 lensboards. These seem to be less common and harder to find in different sizes than, say, a Technika board. Is there an adapter out there so I can use Technika boards on my Calumet?

Thanks in advance for any replies,

David

2. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The old Calumet 4x4 lensboards can be made from just about anything from stiff cardboard to mahogany or any other nice wood. I have a couple of Calumets and make my own lensboards. I use doubled up posterboard to test lenses when I'm in a hurry. There is a fellow on ebay that makes decent ones for cheap. I had him make an adapter board for using Calumet boards on my Cambo.
    Keep an eye out for a lens from a Polaroid 110 or 110a or b, 127mm Wollensak on the 110 and Rodenstock 127mm on the a and b models. These cover 4x5 handily with plenty of movement.
    You can develope 4x5 using the "taco" method in a plastic two reel film tank. If you would like a daylight tank, I will give you one for the cost of shipping only. It's adjustable and holds up to 12 sheets.

3. bdial

bdial Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Regarding the meter, much depends on your definition of "affordable' but a meter that does incident, reflective, and spot metering starts to get expensive quickly, a Sekonic multi-function will cost more than the rest of your kit. You can work with a meter like a Luna Pro SBC which uses standard batteries, these are available used for around 60 - 75 USD. It can't do spot metering without an attachment, but spot metering isn't truly necessary.

4. michael57

michael57 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Older used Soligor Spot Sensor

Spot Sensor--gray, working-but don't know how accurate (may need batteries) sn: 11612 extra meter that I don't need anymore $75/s/h

5. sidearm613

sidearm613 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Rick, do you know the user name of this person?

I have tried the taco method before and I just never could trust my negatives to it. Maybe just a pet peeve. I think I have my sights set on the orbital because it is both a daylight tank and it uses low amounts of chemicals.

6. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  7. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format

8. michaelbsc

michaelbsc Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Agree that even cardboard lens boards work well. I make them from hobby store plywood, too.

The Unicolor drums work well. And the "Mod processor" that has been discussed a lot here recently seems to be on its way to the new standard over the taco method.

9. sidearm613

sidearm613 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Mod processor you say? Wazzat?