WTB: Cambo 4x5 NX short 12" rail

Discussion in '[Classifieds] Want to Buy' started by carlj, Mar 13, 2013.

1. carlj

carlj Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Looking for the short 12" rail (1" square) for a 4x5 Cambo NX. I know some have recommended cutting a piece of 1" square extruded aluminum stock. I tried this with 2040 stock but it didn't quite fit (bummer).

Thanks.

2. johnielvis

johnielvis Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    your aluminum should work--just file the cut edges AND there are ADJUSTING SCREWS on the camera railriders--you must open them up a bit and it should work fine.

3. carlj

carlj Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi,

I tried your suggestion but maybe I didn't have the right adjusting (set?) screws which I loosened somewhat but didn't detect any movement (I'll have to look closer), the fit was extremely tight and I had a devil of a time getting the standard back off the extruded stock. So no solution yet....

4. johnielvis

johnielvis Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    hmmm...sometimes if the camera is old, that upper roller gets seized up too--it'll glide easier on the regular rail, but it's still dragging--make sure that's rolling good. either that or you got a slight oversized metal bar. I used steel and aluminum no problems except the cut edges when they're not filed.

there should be an adjusting screw on the bottom and two on the sides of the railrider--the ones on the sides should be able to accomodate quite a bit of excess width--maybe you have to screw them back and PUSH the friction pads back in..they can get deformed and not want to go back in there. the top/bottom sometimes not enough clearance--that roller must be free to roll.

5. carlj

carlj Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hmmmm. I did find the screws as you mentioned on the bottom and sides of the 'railrider'. The upper roller may well be seized as I didn't check to see if it moved freely. It works smoothly with the Cambo rail.

I'll take another look. It was a really tight fit and it might be the extruded aluminum is nominally 1" but enough oversized not do work.

I may also have a line ('the bay') on a Cambo short rail if all else fails (or one will turn up sooner or later). I originally bought a 48" piece of the 2040 (or whatever it's called) extruded aluminum to make a 34-36" rail and use the extra for a short rail. That plan foundered when I discovered I couldn't get the standards to go on so it's worth another try.

Thanks for your help!

6. bkarasek

bkarasek Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hello,

I have a 12" (1' sq) rail for the Cambo. let me know if you are still need it?

Regards,
    Bogdan

7. pbromaghin

pbromaghin Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format