WTB: Cheap 4X5 View - Cambo, B&J, Calumet, Toyo, whatever

Discussion in '[Classifieds] Want to Buy' started by photobizzz, Apr 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. photobizzz

photobizzz Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Looking for a cheap 4X5 view - good bellows important, or at least repairable with liquid electrical tape / silicone. Something in the $100 range. Looking for use here at the house only. Shoot me a PM or email if you have one laying around you are not going to be using and need to be rid of. Cosmetics not important at all, just functionality.

Thanks!

Oh, and I would prefer not to pay a huge amount for shipping so cheaper the better...

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2010
  2. DanielStone

DanielStone Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    since you just purchased that 45a, you might want to look at getting a reducing lensboard adapter, so you can adapt the lenses from your 45a to your rail camera(whatever you get).

just another thing to think about

-Dan

3. photobizzz

photobizzz Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Good idea, will save me from buying another set of lens boards and having to switch the lenses. I will check one out if I do get a monorail. From looking on eBay I think I can find a cheap (and definitely not small) monorail for about $100, I am watching one on eBay that is ending tomorrow with a Rodenstock 210mm.

4. elekm

elekm Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I have a Calumet in very nice condition. Ground glass intact, bellows are good. Rails are good. No film holders, but there is a lens board. It's a bit bulky, as expected. How about $50 + shipping (from Pennsylvania)?

5. rrankin

rrankin Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I've got a wooden one with extension rail and gridded/clipped ground glass (uninstalled at the moment). Not sure of a lens board, but they are easy to get from the guy on Ebay for less than $10 anyway. Rubberized sort of bellows, light tight, gathering dust in the closet... $65 shipped in CONUS? I think the ground glass cost me $25 and it's never even been installed yet. Cheers, Richard

6. Ektagraphic

Ektagraphic Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Calumets are great!

7. Toffle

Toffle Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I must concur...

Before I dove into the LF pool, I dreamed of sleek and sexy Cambos and Sinars and majestic Centurys, but then a friend offered me a CC400. There are those who will tell you that it is a dog of a camera, that it is not a precision instrument... But it's got virtually every movement you need, (except rear rise/fall, which you can accomplish in other ways) and they are well built and light tight, sturdy and dependable.

Oh, and the important thing... It works the way a view camera should, and I like the pictures I get from it. (that is the most important thing) If/when I decide to upgrade my kit, I will have no regrets about the time I have spent learning the ropes on this workhorse.

Plus, I'm getting really buff lugging it around. People are starting to ask me if I've been working out. :D Seriously, it is really heavy and bulky. Definitely not for hiking or airports. It broke my heart to leave it at home when I visited Arizona last month.

Cheers,

8. photobizzz

photobizzz Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I totally plan on leaving this bad boy here at the house, I have the Toyo 45A for hiking. Sending PM...

9. photobizzz

photobizzz Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks for all the offers, I have decided to go with an old Gundlach 4X5 wooden camera, not the newest of the bunch by a long shot but has plenty of bellows draw and after I clean her up and polish the hardware it will be functional and pretty! Price was right too, Thanks Richard!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.