WTB: Congo WA 90mm f6.3

Discussion in '[Classifieds] Want to Buy' started by angusparkengusparker, Jan 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. angusparkengusparker

angusparkengusparker Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Near mint condition. Thank you.

2. Old-N-Feeble

Old-N-Feeble Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I strongly suspect you've done your homework regarding compact lenses but I'll ask anyway. Have you considered the tiny 90mm f/6.8 W.A. Optar or the venerable 100mm Wide-Field Ektar?

3. angusparkengusparker

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Thanks for the ideas. Optar seems to be pretty old and soft from test results I have read. Have considered the Ektar but it's not MC and has a weird filter size. The Congos are new but seem to have variable quality but I think it's worth the gamble to get a modern MC lens in a copal shutter.....this will be my lightweight alternative to the Nikon SW 90/8 so not rushing to find one.

4. Old-N-Feeble

Old-N-Feeble Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hmm... I'm considering selling a very nice 90mm f/8 Nikkor but it depends on what I decide to do with another film format. My current 4x5 kit consists of 38, 58, 90, 135, 203, etc. The 90 Nikkor is the cream-of-the-crop regarding size/weight/performance/coverage. The 200-M was part of the same decision process. Are you open to a 90 f/8 Nikkor? I might be persuaded in parting with it if I veer off in another direction. I really need the cash.

5. philbed

philbed Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Dear Angus,
    I own a Congo 90mm, an Angulon 90mm and a wide field Ektar 100mm. These lenses are coated, not multicoated. And the WF Ektar is far more better than the Congo, easier to find used and less expensive. And the image circle of the WF Ektar is greater than the Congo. The Angulon is today outrageously expensive and the image circle is OK for 6x9 but not for 4'x5'.

6. angusparkengusparker

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Already have the Nikon 90/8. It's great but heavy. Perhaps the Ektar is worth another look ....Thanks Phil for the input.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2013
  7. cyberjunkie

cyberjunkie Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yamasaki/Congo is active since quite a long time.
    Older than some other well established japanese brands.
    I have seen uncoated lenses, single coated, and also multicoated (like a 500mm tele that recently sold on Ebay.de for very good money).
    I guess that all modern lenses are multicoated. If i had to place my bet, i'd say from at least the mid eighties.
    The 90mm is more or less a knockoff of the Wide Field Ektar, so i don't expect that there would be a huge difference between them.
    Even their tessars are said to be very close to the Kodaks. Many people think that the reincarnation of the Commercial Ektar was the Ilex Paragon/Caltar, and that when Ilex ceased the production, the f/6.3 Congo was very close to being the twin sister.
    Between the Congo and the WF Ektar, i'd go for the latter, because i'm more a collector type, but if i had to choose a backpacker's lens, light and dependable, i would never choose a lens with soft single-coating, and with a big, old, clunky shutter! :smile:

BTW, i have recently seen a 90mm Congo on Ebay, for just $100.
    Search completed auctions, maybe it didn't sell.

P.S.
    With some luck, it is possible to find other double gauss wide angles (Leitmeyr and Meyer Aristostigmat), in a rather modern shutter. Only single-coated, though.

Sent from my Android tablet

8. angusparkengusparker

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Seems like the Congos have questionable quality control while the Ektars are uniformly good. Think I'll leave the decision up to what I find first!

9. Old-N-Feeble

Old-N-Feeble Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    From all I've read the Comgo is indeed a gamble just as the old non-Super Angulons are. You could buy and sell until you find the gem(s) you seek. I'm too lazy for that though.:D

10. ChuckP

ChuckP Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've got a similar 120 Osaka wide field. Maybe I'm lucky but the one I bought works fine as a light 5x7 wide angle. Multicoated and modern copal shutter. I paid about $220 for mine years ago when prices were higher.

11. angusparkengusparker

Shooter:
    Large Format
    That's good to hear. Fingers crossed I come upon a good copy. Best, Angus

12. Old-N-Feeble

Old-N-Feeble Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hmm... I didn't know these are still available new... CONGO LENSES

13. Old-N-Feeble

Old-N-Feeble Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If you change your mind regarding trial of a coated 90mm f/6.8 Angulon then let me know. I have a very nice example in Synchro-Compur-P ca. 1953 I can sell for a good price.

14. angusparkengusparker

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Thank you for the link but at $516 it's a crazy price for this kind of a lens! Much better off looking for a second hand one!

Best, Angus

15. Old-N-Feeble

Old-N-Feeble Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Just tossing it out there.:smile:

The Yamasaki 90's seem to have a similar track record to the old Angulon 90's. Sure you don't want to give the latter a try?:D

Another option is the old tiny 88mm B&L Wide-Angle. It's a double-gauss similar to the Wide-Field Ektar. I have one that's lightly coated. Being only four air-glass surfaces single coating works well.

Neither of these will preform like your excellent 90mm Nikkor-SW but this is a trade-off for size/weight/cost.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2013
  16. Richard S. (rich815)

Richard S. (rich815) Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    How about 90/8 Fujinons?

17. angusparkengusparker

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Thanks for the comment. Actually, I'm looking for a lightweight wide lens for backpacking - already have the Nikon SW 90/8 which is similar to the Fujinon.

18. cyberjunkie

cyberjunkie Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Found a 90mm Congo that has just NOT sold for 100 USD.
    From the overall looking it's a single-coated example.
    Do a search on Ebay for completed sale, with "Prinz 576" keywords.
    Branded Prinz, i.e. USA imported Congo.
    Nice Seiko shutter. The seller report the condition as practically new.
    I am a large format lens collector, and i own many of the lenses mentioned in this thread. If you want my personal opinion, here it is:
    1) I would buy a Congo MC over ANY Angulon.
    2) Single-coated vs. single-coated, i'd buy a Congo, IF the Angulon is not a late example.
    3) Early non-coated Angulons have a larger coverage, not just because of a different notion of acceptable IQ at the borders, but only due to a design revision in post-war models.
    4) For a few different reasons, Angulons made during the fourties/fifties have a much larger amount of duds than later examples. I have a few Angulons with a very late serial, which are impeccable (11 millions or 10 millions serial, i don't remember). I won't go in depth here, but the later the serial, the safer you go.
    5) Kodak Ektars HAD a very good QC, compared with lenses of the same vintage (including Zeiss!). You can't reasonably think that the same applies to lenses manufactured from late seventies/early eighties onward! While it's true that some highly regarded lenses were still glued by hand with Canada balsam in the early seventies... it is also true that at the same time a basic aligning tool was becoming available at affordable prices (even for a small company!).
    6) For those based in the USA (no expensive shipment, no VAT), one of the Wollensak wides made for Graphic cameras could be worth a try. Quality wise, a 108mm f/12.5 would be preferable, but it's 2 stops slower than the 90mm f/6.3

19. angusparkengusparker

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Thank you

Great advice. Thank you. I'm definitely on the lookout for Congo MC. Late angluons intrigue but coverage on 4x5 is too limited from what I can gather. So that primarily leaves the Ektar. So for them which years are best for the 100/6.3? Thanks for your help. Best Angus

20. cyberjunkie

cyberjunkie Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sorry Angus, even if you asked about the best vintage of a nice italian wine, i'd be at loss as well :smile:
    When i write that the age of a lens counts (and sometimes could even make a great deal of difference), i mean decades, not years!
    Some lenses were made during a long span of time, the name was the same, and no variations of the manufacturing was disclosed, but it's known that the cement was changed, and the coating process improved.
    Later on, some types of optical glass were discontinued, so the companies had to quietly replace them with new versions, and of course the elements had to be recalculated.

I have very little knowledge about USA-made lenses, and the very few notions i have are easy to find with a simple search.
    Nevertheless, you can't go wrong choosing a later Ektar vs an older one.
    The CAMEROSITY code will let you know the year of production.
    If you really want a multicoated 90mm, which is light and small, and of course second-hand and conveniently priced, definitely you better be patient.
    Other tha a late Congo/Osaka/Prinz, there could be a Topcor/Horseman (MC?), and there are the Geronar/Caltar wides (90mm f/6.8 IIRC), but not sure if they are MC.
    Better check with Google.

Sent from my Android tablet

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2013
  21. angusparkengusparker

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Thank you for the quick response!

22. angusparkengusparker

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Based on everyone's input I've decided to pass on the Congo 90mm for now in favor of an Ektar 100/6.3 which should be arriving in the mail in a few days. Thank you for all your good advice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.