WTB enlarger for 35mm and 6x6

Discussion in '[Classifieds] Want to Buy' started by daleeman, Feb 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. daleeman

daleeman Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Looking for an enlarger for B&W to set an take down in the spare bathroom,
    Need neg carriers ,for 6x6 and 35. I believe I still have a 50mm enlarger lens and I have used ny fathers 90mm leica lense from the IIIF before, so I guess that works.
    Pick up would be good if we are close.

I am in Dayton, Ohio

2. smithdoor

smithdoor Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
  3. CollinB

CollinB Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I am in Columbus and have an Omef 4x5 outfit cheap.

4. summicron1

summicron1 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A durst 606 (I think it was) with a glass negative carrier is ideal for both formats and anything odd, like all that old 127 you have sitting around.

5. daleeman

daleeman Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Collin,
    Love to have a 4x5 set up but I am concerned about space. Trying to set up and tear down inside the bathroom poses some unique issues. Not that some of the great masters of years before did not conquer. So maybe I should not be so skidish.

PM me more information

Lee

6. dorff

dorff Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A Durst M605 is a very nice enlarger for what you want to do. It will fit in almost anywhere, and the weight is not excessive either, which makes it feasible to move around between working station and storage. Unfortunately I can't help with an enlarger (being on a different continent and all), but there should be one that pops up some time or other in your vicinity.

I suggest getting a 60-75 mm lens or thereabouts, otherwise you may find you run out of column height for bigger enlargements from 120 film. My lens for 6x4.5 is a Rodagon 60, which works very nicely. I use a Nikkor 50/2.8 for 35 mm film.

7. mgb74

mgb74 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The Dursts are a great choice in terms of compactness, but not quite so common in the US. So if you go with a Durst, make sure it has the negative carriers and lensboards you will need for both formats. Something like the M600, with 2 lensboards and both negative carriers, might be your best option.

An Omega B22 (especially the non-XL version) is another good choice, and common here, but not as compact as the Durst models. The ubiquitous Beseler 23c is getting too big, in my opinion, for frequent set up and tear down.

If you limit yourself to 35mm only, then there are more choices.

I have an Omega B22 (though mine is the XL), but shipping is prohibitive. Time for you to take a road trip to Minnesota.

8. smithdoor

smithdoor Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Here is a photo I found on the internet it looks like what started with back 1964 it too was in the bathroom

Dave

Attached Files:

9. Jeff Bannow

Jeff Bannow Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hey Lee, I've got a nice Omega 4x5 with color head (that I calibrated for B&W) and the chromegatrol controller. Nice thing is it's 4x5, which you're going to want at some point, and the parts and carriers are dirt cheap for it.

10. daleeman

daleeman Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That is so cool. Wish I had a closet in the bathroom that I could do that with.

11. daleeman

daleeman Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hey Jeff,
    Great to hear from you. Hope you and the misses are well.

I wonder if this Omega is too big for the room. Certainly would love to do 4x5. Presently when I do print I go down to the local arts center to rent the darkroom. They did not get their levy passed again this go arround so the darkroom is closed. So I am looking at trying to go internal for at least the 6x6 and down.

Will break out the tape measure and take somc cell phone pics of the room and get an idea what would fit. Mean time, measure the foot print on your Omega including how tall it is, I just bet it may be too big. But interested !!!
    Lee

12. smithdoor

smithdoor Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I wish had to today. I working in the garage on a gunsmith bench. I can only burn the midnight oil

Dave

Attached Files:

13. Jeff Bannow

Jeff Bannow Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hey Lee,

If I were you I would mount the enlarger onto a cart that you can wheel in and out of the bathroom. That would work well, and you could very easily do this with a 4x5 enlarger. The base of the unit isn't more than 6" across. I wouldn't try this with a Beseler as they are quite a bit larger at the base.

Honestly, other than the column being taller, the Omega 4x5 isn't really that much larger than their medium format enlargers. And obviously a lot more capable.

14. daleeman

daleeman Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Jeff, The cart idea is very cool.
    Just offered a guy here in Dayton on Craigs list pennies on the dollar for a vivitar enlarger that will do both 35 and 6x6. Not ideal but very cheap and small. I bet I get laughed at, I offered less than half of what he wanted.

15. Jeff Bannow

Jeff Bannow Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hope it works out! Make sure it has all the accessories you want - might be hard to find them second hand.

16. smithdoor

smithdoor Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Sounds good to me.
    Watch your size as you working with a small room. Try this 25 years ago and found the cart I use was to big to fit in the bathroom.

Dave

17. mgb74

mgb74 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I bet yours is the only offer he gets. But +1 on the point of making sure it has all the accessories you need.

18. Newt_on_Swings

Newt_on_Swings Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If you wait til spring thats when lots of this stuff gets unloaded. Spring cleaning and all. No one bothers with moving things in the winter.

19. btaylor

btaylor Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I have a little omega dichroic enlarger I need to give away. Comes with the power supply, 50mm lens (I might have an 80mm too), an extra bulb, 35mm and 6x6 carriers. It's quite small and not too heavy, shouldn't be hard to ship. Yours for shipping costs. I'll take some pictures of it tonight.

20. johnpohl19

johnpohl19 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hey Daleeman, A friend moved out of his big house to a small apartment and switched to (gag) digital. I've been looking for a new owner for all the stuff he gave me, here goes !!
    An Omega Super Chromega C dichroic enlarger w/ voltage stabilized power source A gralab 500
    timer with foot switch and a Unicolor-Mornick Model 1 analyzer. Also i have a rodenstock omegar 50mm f4.5, a rod. rodagon 80mm f5.6, and a Vivitar 50mm f3.5 enl. lens. I also have a couple of
    extra enlarger lights. What i don't have is a 6x6 neg. carrier and only i lensboard
    All you have to do is drive to my house in Eastlake,Ohio(east of Cleveland) when the snow is gone
    and pick it up no charge, and by the way, everything works. All it will cost is gas and some time.
    Let me know if you want the equipment, it's not going anywhere! My cell is 4404781787.
    johnpohl19 I have4x5 and 5x7 enlargers so i'm all set for what i'm doing.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 5, 2014
  21. daleeman

daleeman Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Jeff,
    Thanks for the enlarger.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.