WTB: Helios 58/2

Discussion in '[Classifieds] Want to Buy' started by ColdEye, Apr 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ColdEye

ColdEye Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Before going to ebay and buying stuff overseas, I'd like to post here first instead. Looking for a Helios 58/2 (any version is fine). Cosmetic condition does not matter, as long as glass is clean and focus is not very stiff. PM me for offers. Thanks.

2. Chrismat

Chrismat Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Nice lens. I lucked out with my Helios 58/2 M42. I tested it against my 50mm Pentax Super Takumar 1.4 and I think the Helios is a bit sharper.

3. elekm

elekm Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Are you looking specifically for a Helios? Or will another M42 lens do?

4. ColdEye

ColdEye Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Chrismat: I used to own one, I think it was one of the earlier versions with the veeery funky OOF areas. Surprisingly sharp tho. :smile:

elekm: As long as it is in m42 mount and around 50mm range. :D

5. elekm

elekm Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I only ask, because there are many inexpensive 50mm lenses. For example, you could buy a Praktica LTL or MTL, probably for $30-$60, and get a good 50mm lens. Plus, the LTL and MTL bodies are very good cameras. Not state-of-the-art, but good, practical cameras ... "Praktica"l.

The earlier Praktica FX models often have a Biotar or Tessar, but those often need to be rehabbed. Same goes for the even-earlier Contax and Pentacon models. Plus, these have manual or semi-automatic apertures (you have to reopen the aperture after each shot). These use lightweight alloy mounts (aluminum barrels).

As well, the Vivitar XC-3 camera often will have a f/1.7-2.1 50mm lens attached that is very good. These often sell for $20 or less. There are f/2.8 versions, but I'm not sure if these are Planar or Tessar types.

If I was looking for a 50mm lens, I probably would go for a Praktica LTL/MTL first or a Vivitar 50mm lens.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 6, 2013
  6. Fixcinater

Fixcinater Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    ColdEye, I have a few M42 50mms. I'll bring them with the 200mm and you can check them out.

7. ColdEye

ColdEye Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks, that sounds awesome. :smile: Thread closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.