WTB Hewes developing reels

Discussion in '[Classifieds] Want to Buy' started by ags, Feb 16, 2011.

1. ags

ags Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    As the title states, I am interested in some Hewes developing reels, both 35mm and 120. Anyone have too many and want to sell me some? Im thinking maybe 3 or 4 35mm and 2 120. Thanks!

2. mopar_guy

mopar_guy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I believe that you can get these through Freestyle.

3. Ian Cooper

Ian Cooper Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Or if you happen to be based in the UK, they are available online from RK-Photograhic

4. nsurit

nsurit Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Where do you live?

5. chioque

chioque Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Alternatively, you could also order directly from Hewes itself. Email info@hewes.co.uk or Nigel Hall <nigel@hewes.co.uk> for the quotations.

6. ags

ags Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks for the help guys. I'm not having trouble finding them, per se. It is just that I'd rather not pay $25-$30 per reel if I can help it. If someone out there happened to have a few that they were not using and could part with them for less than retail and needed a little film money, maybe we could reach a deal where we could both be happy. Thanks again.

7. nsurit

nsurit Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Still wondering where you live. Bill Barber

8. ags

ags Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I am in the Midwestern USA. Just curious why this might matter? I think these could be shipped easily without any fear of damage :smile:

9. Ian David

Ian David Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Because APUG members live all over the world. If I had some spare Hewes reels, what you would need to pay me for postage would vary greatly depending on whether I need to send them to Sydney or Chicago. See?

Curious why people are secretive about their location when it is often an obviously helpful piece of info...

Ian

10. mopar_guy

mopar_guy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have ruined 120 film by using a cheap reel. I used to have a reel that would always load improperly and I would end up with a ruined piece of film. After three rolls that I had to scrap at $4.50 a roll, the $23.99 that Freestyle is asking for a 120 reel doesn't seem so bad. If you don't run over it with a truck, a Hewes reel will last you for as long as film is made or the rest of your life, whichever is longer. A pretty good investment.

11. ags

ags Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks guys. I will be more than glad to give you any location/contact info you want through the PM feature here. I just prefer a little bit of anonymity on an open thread like this. Just a personal preference, that is all - didn't mean to step on any toes.

I know the construction of the hewes reels is fantastic, that is why I want them. I figured that I'd ask if anyone had some laying around that they weren't using before I went and bought some retail. Maybe there is someone that went from 35mm to 120 and has extra 35mm reels? I don't know, just thought Id put it out there. Again, just trying to make a deal where myself and the seller would benefit.

12. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi ags:

I understand the desire for anonymity, but when you are looking to buy something or sell something or otherwise do something that might affect the location of something, it is really handy to indicate a general location.

Even "lower 48, USA" will make a huge difference to those who might consider a response - there are a lot of members on this New Zealand based forum known as APUG who don't live in the USA.

I think it was reasonable to put this request out there, so you may as well maximise your likelihood of getting a good response.

13. ags

ags Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks. I have updated my profile to show I am in the US.

Now, who has reels? :smile:

14. Ian David

Ian David Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sorry, I'm keeping mine :D

As suggested above, if you don't get any bites here, do send an email to Hewes direct and ask how much they will cost sent from the UK. That's how I bought my last lot of Hewes stuff. You will probably find it works out cheaper than US retail.

Ian

15. nsurit

nsurit Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thought I might be able to hel as I have 27 35mm, 14 120 and one 220 reels and associated stainless tanks. Only one of the 35mm is a Hewes which is hardly worth the effort on either end of the deal. I prefer the patterson reels although I learned on stainless many years ago. Sorry I couldn't be of more help. Guess I ought to list these on the for sale side of things. Bill Barber

16. ags

ags Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks for looking, I really appreciate it.

17. Gil

Gil Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hi ags,
    I have some Hewes reels both 35mm and 120 that I can sell you. I have to check to see how many I have. The 120 are new and the 35mm are used. I'm guessing six of 35mm and six of 120.
    The 120 reels are new in the box and are marked King Concept, bottom of box says made by Hewes product of England. I'll get back to you on how many i have and the price. Also if it turns out that It's around 12 reels all together you would have to buy at least six.

18. ags

ags Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Gil,

I am interested in your reels. I would like four 35mm and two 120. Thanks!