WTB: Mamiya 55mm f/4.5 lens for TLR

Discussion in '[Classifieds] For Sale' started by Barry S, Mar 27, 2011.

1. Barry S

Barry S Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Looking for a Mamiya 55mm f/4.5 lens in excellent condition for my C33 TLR. Thanks.

2. Barry S

Barry S Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Search continues...

3. Barry S

Barry S Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Thanks, but I'd prefer to deal with a member of the forum.

4. Barry S

Barry S Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Found my 55mm. Anyone got a 65mm? :smile:

5. 2F/2F

2F/2F Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I do have a 65mm I'd sell or trade, but it has some problems. I have never minded using it, but the problems do reduce the value. It has all sorts of cleaning marks front and back, for one. They might lower contrast and sharpness, but I have always wanted nothing from the pix this lens provided. (I do not have a clean version to compare it to, so I am not sure what it is supposed to look like.) Second, the lens board looks a little bowed to me. It never caused an issue with focus or leaks. Finally, when you press the shutter release, the shutter delays for a split second before opening. The speeds work, though.

6. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have a 55mm and an 80mm I never found the 65mm necessary because it's too close to both focal lengths, and never missed not having the 65mm in the last twenty three years I've owned Mamiya TLRs.

7. Barry S

Barry S Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Thanks for the offer, Keith. I think I'll look for a lens with a few less issues, since it would be one of my primary lenses.

Ben-- Only 23 years? You could still change your mind. :smile: I'm thinking of selling the 80 and getting the 100mm, so the 65mm seems like it would be a good match. Also, at this point, I'd just like to try some different focal lengths and see what works for me.

8. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes Barry 23 years, I've always believed that my best cameras are the ones that I'm most used to, that I can use without thinking.

9. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Make me an offer I cant refuse for my 65.

10. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Just a warning Barry, the wide angle lenses for the Mamiya C system had a reputation for being pretty variable in quality even when they were new some were excellent and others garbage, you have to be careful especially if there is any evidence that some previous owner has dismantled them to "clean" them, and destroyed the lenses collimation causing the elements to be no longer centred and parallel to each other .

11. Barry S

Barry S Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Ben--That explains a lot. Hunting around the web, I found some very different opinions on the quality of the lenses. I'm scrambling to find some hoods for the lenses I have, because there's no shading the way they're mounted. I had a Rolleiflex for a while and I wasn't overly impressed with the lens quality--it was fine, but maybe a little disappointing considering the revered status of the camera. I like the C33 ergonomics a whole lot better, although no being able to see the aperture and shutter speed in a top view is a pain.

12. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have the Mamiya hoods for all the lenses I have and they are all very worthwhile going to the trouble and expense of hunting them down.
    If you consider how much a Wide angle, standard and a Tele Rolleiflex cost in the days when the Mamiya C system was current in comparison to Mamiya you'll understand why the system was so popular with wedding and portrait shooters, and the picture quality was very good indeed.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2011
  13. Marc B.

Marc B. Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Forget about the Mamiya lens hoods.
    They're too expensive, and a PITA to carry around and use. When using filters, often the hoods won't fit on the lens, and the thumb screws on the side mars the finish of the lens barrel. Pure junk; just a marketing ploy by Mamiya to make extra money from unsuspecting buyers when they purchased C series camera new.

Use rubber lens hoods, available from many sources, you may even have some from another camera or lens already.
    With step-up rings, ($3-$4 ea) I step-up from 46mm or 49mm, to 52mm. I have two inexpensive ($4.-$5 ea) 52mm rubber lens hoods;
    One wide, and one long.
    There is only minimal vignetting in the viewing lens from the hoods, NO vignetting on the taking lens, even with common, fat filters on the wides, (because I've already stepped my wide angle lenses out to 52mm), my lenses aren't marred from the clamp screws, and I don't have a bunch of square edged metal junk clanging around in my kit. The long/normal hood basically stows inside the wide hood.

When I do landscapes and portraits, (tripod work) I have even used filters and hoods from my RZ, (77mm stuff). I just compose the picture with the bare lens, then attach the ring-filter-hood-stack as one unit.

Here is an example similar to what I use.
    http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1190/533398371_b253c6a55d.jpg

14. Loren Sattler

Loren Sattler Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Two comments here. First, lens hoods. I have only the larger hood (49mm I believe) and use a step up ring to adapt the 46mm thread on some lenses to 49mm to accept the hood

Second, lens quality. I originally had a 65mm wide angle which was very sharp. I sold it after picking up a 55mm to replace it to get a wider angle. The 55mm was a bad lens. It would not produce a sharp image. I had to find a second one and it is ok, but perhaps not as sharp as the 65mm that I sold. My 80mm and 135mm lenses are razor sharp.

Interesting though, I end up shooting 95% of my pictures with the 80mm lens. Usually I take the Rolleicord out with the 75mm lens because it is so light and easy to carry around. The Rolleicord has become my favorite camera.

15. 2F/2F

2F/2F Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    FWIW, I love the Mamiya lens hoods. I don't shoot without them. They are some of the most ideally designed lens hoods ever made. (Round lens hoods are never ideal unless shooting round pictures.) I've never had a single problem, nor have I ever paid a lot for one.

16. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I never hankered after the 65mm lens pair because it's too close to the 80mm to make it worthwhile buying even the 55mm isn't particularly wide, I bought my 55mm lens brand new more than twenty years ago and have always been happy with the performance, but as you write they have always had a reputation to be inconsistent in quality.

17. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    +1- With the exception of I bought my hoods new, and they were expensive.

18. Barry S

Barry S Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I just got the Mamiya hood for my 80mm and it seems well suited to the lens and camera. I've been developing my first rolls and the 80mm really surprised me--it's an outstanding lens. Even without a hood and some dubious hand shading--the images are very sharp and crisp. I was expecting a more "vintage" look for some reason, but the quality is comparable to any modern lens. The ergonomics of the C33 are wonderful--I love the way the focusing knobs fall into place while cradling the camera, and the downward release of the shutter is very smooth. I'd like to find a hood for my 55mm lens, but I refuse to pay crazy money--I'll keep hunting.

19. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    They used to call Mamiya TLRs " poor man's Hasselblads", but I would think from my experience of using the system for many years that most people would be very hard pressed to tell the difference in the hands of someone who can use it by the results between that and any high end M/F system.

20. Marc B.

Marc B. Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Barry S.
    Old thread, I know. An easy, inexpensive hood for Mamiya, TLR's, is to use step-up rings.
    Step-up the 46mm and 49mm lenses, up to 52mm. There are several sellers on the *Bay
    that sell cheap 52mm hoods; $3.50-$6.00 USD.

If you don't all ready have filters for this 52mm size, that's fine. Now when you use lenses with
    either 46mm or 49mm, you will only need one size filter to work on both lens sizes for the Mamiya TLR.
    There were some older chrome lenses for the Mamiya, TLR, that have an even smaller filter size. (40.5mm IIRC (?)
    Same procedure; step-up those lenses to 52mm, too.

The 52mm step-up rings, and hoods can remain attached to your lenses, as there is very little shadow vignetting
    visible in the viewfinder through the viewing lens. Step-up rings can be found for around $2.50-$5.00 USD.

21. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The best hood for the Mamiya C 55 mm lens is the Mamiya one because it was computed to be most effective for the optic and it's hinged at the top to prevent the light bouncing off it in strong sunlight and obscuring the viewing lens without effecting the viewfinder screen,http://www.flickr.com/photos/35521202@N00/521118826/ other options without doubt are cheaper, but it's worth getting the right thing.

22. Marc B.

Marc B. Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ben, I guess I'll just have to agree to dis-agree. I think my way is much easier to use/change, filters/polarizers.
    (Tah-mah-toe, To-may-toe)!<grin>
    But, at least we seem to agree on using a hood in the first place.

Marc

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 16, 2011
  23. PeterB

PeterB Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I wasn't able to find any comments elsewhere on the 'net about inconsistent quality for the 55mm lens (other than the normal fungus problems). This was my search. Could you find me some posts/evidence of people discussing this problem because I'm on the lookout for a 55mm Mamiya Sekor for my C330f and I'd like to know what to be mindful of.

Thanks
    Peter

Last edited by a moderator: May 17, 2012