WTB: Nikon AI conversion thingie

Discussion in '[Classifieds] Want to Buy' started by Eric Rose, Jul 15, 2011.

1. Eric Rose

Eric Rose Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I need three of these little guys. Yes I know I can just get out the old Dremel and cut the f-stop ring to fit, but I would rather do this if at all possible. The other question is, does this same "prong" thing work for all pre-AI Nikkor lenses?

I have attached a photo of what I am looking for.

Thanks for your help.

Eric

Attached Files:

2. Bob-D659

Bob-D659 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    No one sells those clamp on AI "notches", you have to custom make one for each lens, as the length depends on the max aperture of the lens. Those older lenses have a threaded aperture ring and are not thick enough to catch the AI tab when machined, which is why someone made that small extender piece.

Edit, you still have to machine some of those rings so they don't run under the AI tab and stress it to the point of breaking.

2nd edit, and the machined notch on that one should run way to the right, it wasn't done properly.

3. dehk

dehk Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  4. Leigh B

Leigh B Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    We used to do a lot of AI conversions, 30+ years ago. Nikon sold conversion kits that included a new aperture ring.

I've never seen the little hook piece. Must have been custom-made by somebody... not Nikon.

- Leigh

5. ausphoto

ausphoto Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Try www.kohcamera.com
    Jimmy Koh has a few of these Nikon factory conversion kits left and they are specific for each lens

6. PhotoJim

PhotoJim Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    John White at http://www.aiconversions.com is still in business as far as I know - he'd be worth talking to, especially if you're in North America. He does a very nice job.

7. OldBodyOldSoul

OldBodyOldSoul Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Here's vote for John White, I have been his customer and he does a great job.

8. ausphoto

ausphoto Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    There are hack-job conversions that result in functional lenses but are irreversible and there conversions that use genuine Nikon factory conversion kits that allow you to undo your conversion without damage to the lens. Also a conversion with a genuine Nikon factory conversion kit results in a lens that is both functional and that has lost nothing of its collector value (as owners used the factory service to upgrade their lens). Also, the conversion with a genuine kit is a dead easy job.... just loosen some screw and swap out a ring, as well as the rabbit ears (see here http://www.flickr.com/photos/heritagefutures/4862704880/ )

9. ausphoto

ausphoto Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    And the above link should have been
    http://www.kohscamera.com/
    Sorry for that!

[edit] I have no direct interest in koh's camera except that I am a very happy customer of his

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 18, 2011
  10. Eric Rose

Eric Rose Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    well I guess it's the dremal. now to get the screws out. they seem to be frozen in. :sad:

11. Bob-D659

Bob-D659 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes they are usually glued in. You need some heat and a Japanese Crosspoint screwdriver. Those are not Phillips heads. If your lens has the same fine ribbing on the aperture ring and no screws in the lens mount, the Dremel will cut it, but it still won't work as there is not enough "meat" to hook the AI tab on the camera. Use a soldering iron to apply heat to the screw head to soften the thread locking compound.

12. ausphoto

ausphoto Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    serious advice... before you get the dremel out, e-mail Jimmy Koh and see if he has a kit.... I got my kit for $25...

13. Eric Rose

Eric Rose Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Thanks Bob. Will dig out the soldering iron.

14. bobwysiwyg

bobwysiwyg Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Just had a lens done by John two weeks ago, not much more than the quoted price for the kit. He does a great job.