WTB: Nikon F3 or FE2

Discussion in '[Classifieds] Want to Buy' started by yeknom02, May 20, 2011.

1. yeknom02

yeknom02 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I want to ditch my Canon FD stuff and get some Nikon gear. I would prefer a nice F3 (HP finder) but could also use a nice FE2. In either case, I don't have any glass.*

I am not looking to make a purchase until I get back from a potentially expensive trip next week, so we have plenty of time to work out a deal. In general I'd like to avoid the sellers on evilBay while not having to pay KEH prices.

* - an AI lens in the 40-50mm range would be appreciated, but I can find one elsewhere if you have just a camera body. Let me know, too, whether you have a 28mm f/2.8 or a 135 f/3.5, whatever the decent wide and telephoto offerings from Nikon are. I'd be looking to replace my Canon 50mm f/1.8 and 28mm f/2.8 with Nikon gear.

2. Peter Simpson

Peter Simpson Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Just a thought...Check the KEH as-is bin. I got a nice user FE2 for $40. All I can see wrong with it is some brassing, a missing trim cap on the rewind lever and it needed foam.

3. phirehouse

phirehouse Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    i have also had some incredible luck with KEH's as is section.

4. RPippin

RPippin Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Another plug for KEH. I bought the bargain speed winder for my F3HP and it looks brand new. A friend bought a couple of Contax G2's that were rated bargain and they also look great. You can also return them if you need to.

5. RPippin

RPippin Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    By the way, I paid $12.00 for the speed winder.

6. drumminor2nd

drumminor2nd Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I bought a $3 Nikon FM at KEH out of the as-is bin... I tore it apart and immediately put it back together, and I had a $100 camera... I sold it at a yard sale, as I already had an FM, but it was the best $3 I ever spent on the Internet. I'm going to purchase a bad foam Minolta today, to go with a 45mm lens I have.

If you buy a "working" camera from KEH, go with the bargain grade, as the cameras are still fully functional and only have a few "battle scars" on them. Expect to give it a good cleaning after you get it, as I've found "bargain" cameras are sometimes a "bargain" only because they are dirtier than an "excellent" camera.

I'd go with the F3hp if you wear glasses, but even without my glasses on, I prefer the F3hp to my mother's FE2 or my FM, as the viewfinder in the "amateur" cameras is hard to see all at once, especially with the information scattered around the frame, as opposed to all of the info at the top of the F3 finder. Also, the motor drive is better/faster/stronger, and the waistlevel finder is useful on the F3.

7. Michel Hardy-Vallée

Michel Hardy-Vallée Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  8. yeknom02

yeknom02 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Did look in KEH's "as is" bin, but it didn't look that promising.

Also, I settled on shopping for the F3 and FE2 after a 2 hour conversation with my local camera shop guy and also getting the chance to hold and inspect both. So I'm pretty set one these two models. In fact, I'm determined to own one of each at some point, but my budget tells me to get one, get some lenses, and then eventually get the other. I'd prefer the F3 first just because I liked its feel a bit more.

Also, I'm in Central Pennsylvania in case anyone was wondering. I keep forgetting the huge international community we have here.

9. JohnMeadows

JohnMeadows Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hi D:

For the 50mm if you want to save a few bucks I would recommend the 1.8 series E; amazing performance for the price! 75-150mm Series E zoom is also a great performer. Most of the E series are crap, but not these two!

Cheers,

John

10. yeknom02

yeknom02 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Just to let everyone know, I recieved a PM about an F3P, but no further response yet. Still looking!

11. OldBodyOldSoul

OldBodyOldSoul Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I have an F3 in very good condition but with standard viewfinder which also has some internal dust. F3 works like charm, but I would prefer to not separate it from MD-4 it came with. I also have a couple of extra focusing screens (K, P, E), in LNIB condition.
    I also have a 50 f/1.8 AI ("long nose") and 135 f/3.5 Auto-Q with AI mount (looks like factory conversion, not a home hack). The 50 looks great but its focusing ring is a bit more damped than my other lenses. It's not stiff - it's very smooth - only requires a bit more effort than other lenses. The 135 looks like it just came out of factory this morning.

12. Tony Karnezis

Tony Karnezis Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I have a 50/1.8 Series E (tiny, sharp), 50/2, 138/2.8 (AI or AIS, I don't remember off hand; very small lens), 135/2.8 Nikkor Q (beautifully made) and a 135/2.0 that was re-lubed and collimated last month.

13. OldBodyOldSoul

OldBodyOldSoul Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I just had a mild orgasm when you said 135/2.

14. Tony Karnezis

Tony Karnezis Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    TMI! :blink: