WTB: Old Art-Deco Kodak Densitometer: Model 1, Model RT or 'Color Densitometer'

Discussion in '[Classifieds] Want to Buy' started by holmburgers, Apr 27, 2011.

1. holmburgers

holmburgers Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm not sure of all the models that were made, but I'm in the market for one of these old bakelite beauties that is in excellent working condition.

I'll be using it primarily for black & white, but would like to have the option of color. I think that this means I'm looking for an RT or the 'Color Densitometer' model. I'd be interested in hearing about Model 1's as well.

I'd like to pay somewhere in the $30 range (+/-), including shipping. I'd be willing to pay more for a spectacular example with extra's, etc.

Anyways, let me know what you have and we'll work something out. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2011
  2. Jim Noel

Jim Noel Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Shipping could eat up as much as half of your $30 budget. The transformer in those things is not light. Also to keep the bakelite safe a lot of padding is necessary.

3. holmburgers

holmburgers Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Good call Jim.

We'll just have to play it by ear, case by case. I really want a clean example and am willing to pay accordingly, but they do come up every once in a while on eBay for less than $40 with shipping included, and I'm on a shoe-string budget.

I'd prefer to deal with someone on APUG though, and "excellent working example" doesn't mean it can't be a little dusty. :wink:

4. holmburgers

holmburgers Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    BUMP.

5. holmburgers

holmburgers Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    BUMP

If you've got one and my asking price is the issue, don't hesitate to entice me.

6. Greg Davis

Greg Davis Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    There are two on ebay right now at $10

7. holmburgers

holmburgers Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yeah I saw those, but I thought maybe they were a little on the junky side...

Have you ever seen one in person?, do you think that they're rugged enough to just need a cleaning at this point?

8. Greg Davis

Greg Davis Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    No, and from the picture, it looked like it needed to have the power cord replaced. I don't think I would feel safe plugging it in with the one it has. I think PE has one and can answer questions about it.

9. L Gebhardt

L Gebhardt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I had one and sold it a while ago. Unfortunately it got destroyed during shipping. I thought I had it well packed, but apparently not. So if you do get one make sure the seller packes it well. Mine worked well, but was not as repeatable as the digital unit I replaced it with. Plus the color filters may have faded a bit so it wasn't great for color work. Good luck.

10. holmburgers

holmburgers Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ahh, I wondered about the color filters. I wonder if those could be replaced with the appropriate wratten filter?

So yeah, that's why I'm kind of hoping to find a "closet classic" or something. I'd pay more for a really clean example.

11. Greg Davis

Greg Davis Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Yes, they can be replaced with wratten filters. I just spoke with tech support for my Tobias TCX and they told me which wratten filters go in it. I have it written down somewhere, but they may not be the same for the Kodak machine. They did tell me that they routinely throw old filters away that never sold because they fade over time, even without use, so if I get my own, I had to be sure they were made recently. They also told me how to calibrate my machine without using their expensive calibration card using the proper ND filter. Fortunately I had the right ND filter to follow the instructions.

12. holmburgers

holmburgers Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That's good to know. I think if I can get a really clean old Kodak Color Densitometer and keep on top of the filters, I'll be set. I assume the filter patches are really small.

As you've demonstrated, it pays to have a huge collection of old filters!

13. Greg Davis

Greg Davis Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Yeah, the patches in mine are maybe 1/2 inch square each.