WTB: Rolleiflex 3.5E with Planar 75mm

Discussion in '[Classifieds] Want to Buy' started by filmaesthetic, Mar 21, 2011.

1. filmaesthetic

filmaesthetic Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hello,

I'm starting to do fine art photography and up to now have used 35mm as my chosen format. I'm now wanting to move into medium format as well. I've been reading extensively about the rolleiflex tlr's and think they would be great for the type of work I will be doing.

I'm looking for either the 3.5E or 3.5F type 3. I'm partial to zeiss lenses as that is what I currently use and would prefer the 75mm Planar. I would also like the camera to be in excellent condition with everything working properly and ready to shoot.

Hopefully, someone on the forum here who takes very good care of their equipment as I do mine will be interested in finding a worthy home for their nice rolleiflex setup.

Please PM me if you think you might have what I'm looking for.

Thanks very much!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 22, 2011
  2. SWphoto

SWphoto Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  3. Jimbot

Jimbot Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    PM sent

4. Pgeobc

Pgeobc Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Try the following Link

5. filmaesthetic

filmaesthetic Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks to everyone for your help and also to those contacting me with their camera for sale.

I ended up purchasing an excellent++ condition 3.5E from Gil Ghitelman Cameras. Hopefully everything will go smoothly, but having a shop guarantee my satisfaction with the camera helps to give me some additional peace of mind.

6. Pgeobc

Pgeobc Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    "...I ended up purchasing an excellent++ condition 3.5E from Gil Ghitelman Cameras..."

I recently bought that same camera, but with a Xenotar f/3.5 lens from Gil. He's a nice guy to do business with. The camera I bought was every bit as good as the description, or better.

7. filmaesthetic

filmaesthetic Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks for telling me that Geo! That makes me feel even better about my purchase from Gil, who has been great thus far. I'm getting the camera on Friday and can't wait to start using it in my work.

8. Pgeobc

Pgeobc Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm now waiting for the FedEx truck to pull up with a body case that I ordered from KEH. They have them from time to time. Funny thing: they had two cases for the 3.5E, one was Ex and one was quite a bit less, both for the same price. At the same time, I bought a case for my 75th year (GX) 2.8 Planar. Now, I have a 3.5 and a 2.8 and no excuse not to use them!

9. filmaesthetic

filmaesthetic Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That's good to know about the body cases from KEH. How do you typically like to use the case, is it useful for traveling?

10. Pgeobc

Pgeobc Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    "How do you typically like to use the case, is it useful for traveling? "

Well, I buy them mostly because the antique/collectible cameras sell well when there is an authentic case available. My using case of choice is a ballistic nylon zippered case that is not much bigger than the camera.

11. Pgeobc

Pgeobc Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well, how did it go; what is it like; how are the pics?

12. filmaesthetic

filmaesthetic Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    So far, I'm very happy. The camera certainly lives up to its excellent++ rating and is in beautiful cosmetic condition. I got a great deal on a really nice mint Gossen light meter as well.

I just got back my first roll of film shot on Kodak E100. There is amazing detail and sharpness out of the zeiss planar and the color and aesthetic of the images are terrific. The exposure seems to be spot on as well. I'll know more when I scan the film to a high res file.

Overall, the camera is really a pleasure to use and elegantly designed. It's no wonder the Rolleiflex cameras are so well loved.

13. Pgeobc

Pgeobc Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    >...I just got back my first roll of film shot on Kodak E100...<

Thanks for the report and I'll await the images.

14. filmaesthetic

filmaesthetic Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sadly, I've just had the camera inspected by Harry Fleenor and there are a number of issues. The transport mechanism needs a complete overhaul and the double exposure does not work, but most seriously there are some chips on the front of the Planar lens along with lens coating deterioration on the back. I would have just paid the extra money for the mechanical problems, which cost a significant amount, were it not for the lens problems. On a fixed lens camera the lens is everything. So, I spoke with Gil and he was good about offering to refund me for the camera, which I will be taking him up on.

Oh well, I guess that's why you have a guarantee when you can't inspect the camera in person.

15. Pgeobc

Pgeobc Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sorry about the trouble. However, I'm glad to see that Gil is taking care of you.