WTB: Rolleiflex TLR

Discussion in '[Classifieds] Want to Buy' started by ags, Feb 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ags

ags Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hi,

I'd like to buy a Rolleiflex TLR. My price is negotiable, but looking to spend $400-800. Anyone have one?

Thanks!

2. walter23

walter23 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    It's not the higher end one you're looking for, but I have a bargain Automat III that I'm looking to sell. See my FS post.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2011
  3. walter23

walter23 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2011
  4. ags

ags Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks for your post, but I am looking for something a little more high end. I just got hooked on medium format and am looking to upgrade. Good luck with your sale.

5. ChipMcD

ChipMcD Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    There's a 2.8D (or C) user for sale at $800 at rangefinder forum. At the $400-$800 range, you should be prepared for something that is cosmetically not optimal and may need a $300 CLA. These still are not cheap.

6. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You could look up KEH.

Jeff

7. ags

ags Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    KEH has a 2.8D for sale for $820 in EX condition. DOes that seem like a good deal? Ive heard KEH is good for lenses because they underrate. However, how are they in terms of camera functionality?

BTW, I am looking to buy from a US seller. Thanks!

8. ChipMcD

ChipMcD Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I bought a Yashica 124G from Keh that is pristine. I also bought a Koni-Omega press camera that turned out to have a non-functioning shutter--no problem. I sent it back and got a full refund and, if memory serves, the shipping cost too. Since then, I've bought several lenses (Nikon and Leica) and a Bessa T from Keh with no problems, and the lenses and camera were all super clean and functioning. The problem with something like a Rollei is that these are old cameras. The ones that look pristine probably haven't been used much and therefore may have dried out lube and gummed up shutters or transport and need a CLA or an overhaul. If the camera is beat up, it may need some of the same work, plus lens alignment. You might want to factor in a CLA, shutter overhaul or transport overhaul ($120-450), depending on what needs to be done. Once that work is done though, unless you are a really heavy shooter, you should be good to go for many years

I think Keh's rating system largely turns on the cosmetics. With a Rollei, it may look good or great, but still have some slow shutter speeds, a sticky self-timer or a squeaky transport. It works, but not optimally. The good thing about Keh is the good service and easy return policy, though. So if you buy the camera, and it is not what you expected, send it back.

9. Paul Sorensen

Paul Sorensen Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    And, with a camera like this, if it is in great cosmetic shape but has slow shutter speeds, all you need to do is a CLA and you have a really great piece. I would rather buy one that is unused and not working well because of gummed up works than one that has broken parts or nearly worn out parts.

The D seems to run in the range of $600 to $700 on eBay, based on recently finished auctions. If you want to buy one from a dealer or from someone you know to be reputable, this is probably a very good deal. It does look to be a bit high compared to eBay, which seems reasonable given the return policy and their reputation.

10. HMFriedman

HMFriedman Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    PM sent.

11. Andrew A.

Andrew A. Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    nother PM sent

12. ags

ags Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thank you all for your advice and offers of cameras or sale. I really appreciate it! I'm still weighing my options in terms of what to buy.

Thanks again!

13. LyleB

LyleB Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    If I were spending this much, I would seriously consider buying from KEH and requesting that they do a CLA prior to shipping. That way you get their repair warranty (6 months) and if they find anything seriously wrong, I would assume they would allow you to "return" the camera for a full refund per their normal policy. I've bought several items from them and have been very happy. I've also had two cameras CLA and been very happy with their work.

Just something to consider - save yourself some shipping charges to boot.

14. jimsberg

jimsberg Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Have a Rollei T, with removable WLF and the Rollei Prism. F 3.5 Tessar. Includes Rollei close up lenses (+1,+2,and +3), Rollei bayonet lens hood, mirror lens cap, aux Rollei rangefinder focus attachment, some B&W filters. Had a CLA maybe 4 years ago and not used much since. Have some refrigerated 120 film I'll throw in. I also believe the I have the 35MM conversion device for this camera, which you can also have. I also have the Rollei pistol grip, very useful with the prism, and the Rollei bulb flashgun, this latter not so useful these days. I'll price it all at $575 +shipping and that's a very decent price for all the above. In fine condition. jimsberg_04@cox.net .

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2011
  15. ags

ags Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I sent you an email jimsberg :smile:

16. ags

ags Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hi Everyone,

I just took a trip down to the local camera store and they made me an offer I couldn't refuse. Thanks so much for your offers and advice.

17. Paul Sorensen

Paul Sorensen Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well, share with us what you got so that we can drool a little. :smile:

18. ags

ags Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Haha. I didn't intend to be secretive in my last post. Sorry! So here it is: I bought a Planar 2.8F type 2 with case, lens caps, recent CLA and 6 mo warranty for just under $1,000 including tax. It looks like I took a trip back in time 50 years because there isn't a mark on it. Meter still works. I figured it was a great deal because this is what they are going for on ebay, and if I bought one of those, I'd have to probably get a CLA. My brother used to work at the store years ago and the owner, who happened to be there, remembered me. I think they might have had the camera (overpriced in the case) for a while.

19. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You've done very well there, I had my 3.5E (Xenotar) but no meter valued by Rollei (UK) about 8 years ago and they said £750/$1200, and while back in the UK in November was told by a dealer it was still worth that, and that he could sell it easily for that price.

Rollei's, Leica's etc took a big dive in value but prices/values are back up again an you got a bargain.

Ian

20. jimsberg

jimsberg Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    If you are still looking, I have a Rolleiflex T (3.5 Tessar lens) with both prism and waist level viewfinders, Rollei lens shade, Rollei close up attachments (nos.1,2,3), Rollei neck strap with excellent leather, Rollei flash (for bulbs), Rolleimeter (rangefinder device that fits on Waist level finder), some B&W Rollei filters, and Rollei Pistol grip. All in very nice condition. $725.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.