WTB: Small screw from Graflex Graphic 4x5 large format camera

Discussion in '[Classifieds] Want to Buy' started by NDP_2010, May 19, 2012.

1. NDP_2010

NDP_2010 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Wonder if anyone can help me out; I'm looking for a small screw, it is part of the slider which holds the film holder in place.

I have added pictures of where the screw comes from and also and an image of what the screw looks like.

I am in Australia, but with such a small part postage should not be too expensive. Please let me know if you have this part and how much you would like to sell it for.

Many thanks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Molli

Molli Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If that screw is as tiny as I think it might be, you could give an optician a try. That's where I got one for my Canon's base plate and they simply gave it to me as a spare that was lying around.

3. Nicholas Lindan

Nicholas Lindan Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    What you are looking for is called a "shoulder screw" [in the antipodes it may be called an "ankle screw"...] or "shoulder bolt".

Available from all sorts of suppliers. I have no idea if they have the right size, but a US supplier is Keystone: http://www.keyelco.com/products/specs/spec127.asp - they have international representation, but I don't know the stocking status of English/US thread fasteners in Australia.

Googling turns up Aussie suppliers but they seem to be geared to the agricultural machinery sort of bolts. You may be able to re-tap the hole and use a metric fastener.

4. Leigh B

Leigh B Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The OP's screw is called a "shoulder screw". Opticians don't use them.

This is probably a #4 or #6. I should have one in stock. I'll check.

Can you provide the dimensions (shoulder diameter and length and head diameter)?

- Leigh

5. NDP_2010

NDP_2010 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    thankyou for the help so far, i have attached a picture of the screw dimensions in mm. I do not know what the thread is though,. (dimensions are as close as i can get with a 1mm incriment ruler)

i do not think the height of the shouldering region is so important looking at the function it has on the camera.

[​IMG]

6. BrianShaw

BrianShaw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Also note that there is a flat washer associated with that screw... between the slide lock and the back.

7. NDP_2010

NDP_2010 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    No one has any graflex parts for sale? :tongue:

8. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Not likely metric :smile:

The smallest SAE size that Keystone and McMaster Carr show is 4-40, which is larger than the 2mm in diameter requested.

I needed a similar metric screw for the sliding lock on my Durst negative carrier. I used the appropriate sized conventional screw and a small piece of metal tubing for the shoulder.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2012
  9. NDP_2010

NDP_2010 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    thats a good idea, I might try that with the metal tubing