WTB - Transmission Step Wedge for determing ALT process exposures

Discussion in '[Classifieds] Want to Buy' started by holmburgers, Nov 16, 2010.

1. holmburgers

holmburgers Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  2. Jeff Bannow

Jeff Bannow Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  3. holmburgers

holmburgers Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You don't say?!

:sideways:

I like to check APUG first; a quick and easy PayPal interaction is a breeze.

4. Mike Wilde

Mike Wilde Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have had a few. Never the calibrated ones. The simplest was the Kodak projection print scale.

The next was a little Geavert (sp) half stop per step without numbers 1" x5", with a pair of pin holes pushed though the neutral grey step.

Then a Stoffer half stop per step 1/2" x 5 or ", each step numbered I think, commonly used in the alt process and screen printing trades, printed with every sheet in the margin.

Most recently a 2.25" square 1/3 stop per step to aid me in calibrating old VC and fixed grade papers and VC dial setting for projecting b& w negs.
    I went with this becasue I wanted to calibrate 6x6 and 4x5 enlargers, and wanted to be able to project it from a neg carrier to see if there was a difference from calibrating it when contact printing it.

The prior step wedges were all free, but this one I spent $50 on direct from Stouffer, and consider it money well spent. Ordered over the phone, with excellent customer service and timely shipping.

I use it every time I open a new, or new to me, package of paper. I have even placed it in a slide copier and used it to evaluate the HD curve of meduim format films. On 4x5 I just tape it to the film in the holder and expose to a white wall to get the steps to read off the film after development.

5. holmburgers

holmburgers Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm considering just making one on 4x5" film. It doesn't have to be calibrated I guess, for my purposes, just a standard.

6. Mike Wilde

Mike Wilde Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If you are making one in 4x5 then consider sourcing .1 .3, .6, and .9 ND fiters, slice them, tape them ( use clearest tape you can find) to make different stacks to go from .1 to 2.7.

Rosco makes inexpensive .3, .6 and .9; I don;t know where other than Wratten for .1. The trick is to make sure that the film HD performance is straight line as you can imagine. I think I heard that Stouffer uses a stash of tech pan and careful exposure and development.

7. Roger Thoms

Roger Thoms Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
  8. holmburgers

holmburgers Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    But $40 for that???

That's why I'm soliciting offers on APUG.