WTB Triangular rail for 4x5 Graflex

Discussion in '[Classifieds] Want to Buy' started by couldabin, Feb 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. couldabin

couldabin Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I want to mount my 4x5 Graphic View for a special shot, and would like to cut the rail to a minimum length. Naturally, I don't want to cut the only one I have. Looking for one (it doesn't have to be in good condition at all) to butcher. Mine is 1 1/4" aluminum.

2. mgb74

mgb74 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A bit cludgy, but could you use a piece of angle iron? Not sure if you could find the right size.

3. brian d

brian d Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If you could get it to lock down on angle iron or aluminum that would sure be better than chopping up an original

4. fotch

fotch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You may find that a local machine shop could mill a length of aluminum angle iron stock for a reasonable cash price. They may not be all that busy.

5. couldabin

couldabin Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I tentatively tried that first -- the angle iron I had on hand was too big -- both too thick and (although it's nominally 1 1/4") too wide. I may see if a piece of formed steel angle (as opposed to hot-rolled or cold-rolled angle) might work, since it will be lighter gauge.

6. Jim Jones

Jim Jones Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    How long a rail do you need? I have a Graphic View I with a 14" rail without a tripod mounting block that might get butchered for wide angle use only. For that, the rail would be shortened considerably. Maybe there is enough for both of us. What part of Kansas do you live in? I'll be in Kansas City KS three times next month

7. couldabin

couldabin Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I'm needing about 9" ... which probably wouldn't leave enough for the two of us. I do have another offer, however, so ... thanks for the consideration.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.