WTB: Yashica FR-I w/ lens (28/50mm)

Discussion in '[Classifieds] Want to Buy' started by agphotography, Nov 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. agphotography

agphotography Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi everyone, been trying to find one of these in good shape as they can use the Contax Zeiss lenses (which I don't presently have, but wouldn't mind saving up for!)

If you have one of these laying around with a lens or two, let me know! Maybe we can work something out.

- Abram

2. jon koss

jon koss Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hi Abram - Must it be an FR 1 or would something like an FX-3 be OK? (Or how about going for the Contax 167MT which is just a sweetie and a phenomenal bargain at today's prices?)

Best,
    Jon

3. agphotography

agphotography Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Jon,

If it's to be a Yashica body then yes the FR-I is the one I'm after. Reason being is I ultimately would want a Contax RTS, I just don't have the budget for one right now, but if I can start with the FR then work my way up to the RTS then that would be fun.

I hadn't considered other Contax bodies but the 167 sounds Similar to the FR. Ultimately I'm after a "semi-modern" metal bodied camera. All my Canon gear is well made but there is so much plastic involved it bothers me on some days. I just want to have a nice solid 35mm SLR to use on the street with my (you didn't hear this) digital cameras.

I also figured the Yashicas weren't as popular as older Nikon Fs or Canon Pro-grade FD.

I'm open to suggestions though!

- Abram

4. BrianL

BrianL Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    The FX-3 is light but quite rugged and plentiful and I think less expensive than the FR-1. I'd not foreclose that option. There are 3 models in the FX-3 lineup, the FX-3, FX-3 Super and FX-3 2000. The only real difference between them at a practical level is the faster shutter speed.

5. ColdEye

ColdEye Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The FX-3 is quite nice, specially the small size (I had the one with the 2000 shutter speed). I was lucky to have a very reliable meter on the one I had. Strangely enough my favorite lens was the ML (?) 50/2, the one with swirly bokeh. Good luck with the search!

6. mesh

mesh Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I really like the FX-3 but you need to know that the shutter sounds like a bomb going off ;-)

7. Richard S. (rich815)

Richard S. (rich815) Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    There's a $41 FR-1 on KEH right now. They also have a $59 UGLY RTS, a $39 167 and $33 and $59 139's too. With KEH in my experience their ratings are very conservative. Plus there warranties and return policies very good.

8. agphotography

agphotography Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That's also partially why I want the FR. Cloth vs metal shutter.

There are a handful On eBay but I don't like taking chances on there.

9. Jeff L

Jeff L Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Keep in mind that the FR/FRI/FRII film counter will (nearly 100%) not work. The little plastic/nylon gear dries out and breaks. There are no replacement parts. The camera still functions fine with out it. If it's automatic you're after consider the Yashica FX-D, a relative of the Contax 139Q. I just bought one in great condition with 50mm lens for $25.00. Seals needed replaced, so a kit was ordered from Jon Goodman. FXD is a great camera to use but lacks the depth of field preview button of the FR series. I use both Yashica and Contax. Great cameras IMO.

10. agphotography

agphotography Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks Rich, I didn't think to check KEH, I've always had good luck with them in the past.

11. elcabezagrande

elcabezagrande Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have an FR 1, with the Yashica ML 50/1.7, Yashica ML 80~210, Vivitar 28~80 Zoom Macro, and Yashica MC 35~70, plus winder for FR, a spare body with a bad film advance (but it advances with the winder), and a couple of Yashica DSB 50/1.9 lenses. PM me if you are interested.

[​IMG]
    Yashica FR-I with Yashica ML 50/1.7 by Greyscale3, on Flickr

Oh, and the film counter works.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.