WTD: Kodak

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by Sirius Glass, Jan 23, 2012.

1. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    WTD: Kodak

Attached Files:

2. Brian C. Miller

Brian C. Miller Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    "But I'm not dead yet!"

3. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm hoping that Kodak will be around a lttle longer.

Jeff

4. Mike Wilde

Mike Wilde Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm not big on comic strips but that one always has the duck carrying a camera doing something photographic or other to highlight the situation at hand.

5. pentaxuser

pentaxuser Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    I understand that there is a section of a BBC early evening programme tonight devoted to Kodak film. For this to have attracted BBC attention and for it to be worthy of say 10 mins I strongly suspect it will be in the form of an obituary to Kodak film " An end of an era" type of stuff

I might of course be wrong and I hope so but I doubt it. Unless things are explained by the presenters who need to be properly briefed then it will be easy for U.K Kodak film users to conclude that the film will disappear very quickly and they might as well switch to another make or to a different medium. Not helpful

I'll let you know

pentaxuser

6. cabbiinc

cabbiinc Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    When the last roll of Kodachrome was produced a national evening news program basically stated "this is the last color film to roll out of anywhere" (paraphrasing). I was furious.

7. Eric Rose

Eric Rose Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    blah blah blah, another thread devolves into "they will survive", "the world ended when KK was discontinued" etc etc. Go buy some Fuji or Arista or whatever and get out and shoot. :cool:

8. cabbiinc

cabbiinc Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Never heard of those. The news clearly stated that Kodak was the last film producer and it just quit making film. There's nothing left to shoot.

9. pentaxuser

pentaxuser Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Well the BBC item was quite positive if a little lightweight. Certainly no damage done or intended to be done to Kodak film.

pentaxuser

10. DREW WILEY

DREW WILEY Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I've already seen a couple of primtime news segment on Kodak which turned this into an outright
    obituary for any kind of film photography and the final triumph of digital. But almost anything on
    primetime new has to be taken with a grain of salt, and the cable "news" channels are even worse.
    Ironically, to get decent US new one has to go to BBC or something like that.

11. clayne

clayne Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yep. The only media I even listen to on US airwaves is TAL. I do listen to NPR for general news but overall most US journalism is crap now.

As a US citizen I am very disappointed in what we've become.

12. tomalophicon

tomalophicon Member

Shooter:
    Sub 35mm
    I watched US Fox news the other day for the first time. I was wetting myself. What a joke. Our TV news is very quickly marching in the same direction.

13. chriscrawfordphoto

chriscrawfordphoto Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    THe owner of Fox News is an Australian, Rupert Murdoch. If it were up to me, he'd be in Gitmo as a foreign subversive.

14. tomalophicon

tomalophicon Member

Shooter:
    Sub 35mm
    I don't know what Gitmo is but I bet it's bad :smile:

15. clayne

clayne Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guantanamo_Bay_Naval_Base

Gitmo is reference to a naval base we have in Cuba - ironically a country Americans are not even legally allowed to travel to nor one we have any positive diplomatic ties with.

16. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    + 1x109

Oh oh, now I did it! His people will start hacking my telephone messages while he will claim that he does not know about it therefore it never happened.

17. pentaxuser

pentaxuser Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    I thought that the said gentleman had taken out U.S. citizenship a number of years ago. With the current U.K. enquiry into his press empire's standards in the U.K. I feel that any chance of transferring his citizenship to the U.K. is distinctly remote :D

pentaxuser

18. DREW WILEY

DREW WILEY Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    It's reverse censorship. A handful of interests can control the discussion by turning the volume higher than anyone else can speak over. They get ahold of the web, the primetime news, and have
    dedicated propaganda networks too. But our primetime news in general is so dumbed-down to the
    lowest common denominator or redneck IQ anyway that I'm surprised that possums and porcupines
    haven't been granted voting rights, because they're probably more literate than half the people in
    this country! News is more entertainment, and I guess it sounds sexy to broadcast how nowbody
    uses film anymore, because a cell phone does it all.

19. Tony Egan

Tony Egan Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Correct. Rupert took US citizenship many years ago purely for business reasons as I recall.

20. tomalophicon

tomalophicon Member

Shooter:
    Sub 35mm
    I see! Guantanamo was obviously too much of a mouthful for most people over there :whistling:

21. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Yes, we are known to be rather dense, that is why we have networks such as Fox to help do our thinking for us. [​IMG]

Several years back, someone here used the phrase in regard to Kodak employees, "Polishing brass on the Titanic." That has stuck in my mind.

I had a very large supply of Azo in my freezer once--30 boxes--I decided to hoard when the announcement came out of DC. A year later I sold half of it for $200 a box more on eBay than I paid for it at B&H--and still retained a lifetime supply of Azo. Think of the opportunities here!