WTT 35mm Gear, flash, lens

Discussion in '[Classifieds] For Trade' started by dfgriff57, Jul 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dfgriff57

dfgriff57 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    In lieu of trying to obtain a MF system, I thought I would ask here first, thereby saving some aggravation with most auction sites. I would like to venture into MF. I have a Nikon F5 camera in the box with manual, it's in excellent condition with no issues with an SB600 and SB80DX in the box. The SB600 is like new, rarely used. I also have the MC33 cable and software, the MH30 for the F5. The lens are a Nikon 105 F2.5 AIS, glass is excellent, no marks, a little dust inside. A Nikon 300mm F4.5 AIS that I just had CLA'd by Focal Point and they did an excellent job. The aperture blades had oil on them. There is no marks on the glass, and aperture is snappy. I'm looking for a RZ67 Pro II setup if anyone is interested. Not sure how to post pics here, but I can upload to flickr. Thanks for your time.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/63099948@N07/

Don

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 4, 2011
  2. bushpig

bushpig Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I bet you'll love the RZ. I've never shot one, but I love my RB67 Pro S. It's my main shooter. I don't know if you have your heart set on the RZ, but if not, you might want to consider the RB67. No electronics to go wrong and the prices can't be beat. One of the cheapest, most versatile camera systems out there.

Anyways, good luck.

3. dfgriff57

dfgriff57 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That is a thought bushpig. A friend of mine has the RZ and that's the one I have shot with a few times. Images are awesome to say the least. I can print b&w in my darkroom, but the color is tricky scanning at least for now. A little more experience might help. Do you feel that the images from the lenses for the RB are as good as from the RZ's newer lenses? I'll have to search for a comparison of the two systems. Thanks

4. guitstik

guitstik Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have both the RB and the RZ and image quality for both is excellent. Lenses for the RB can be used on the RZ as well so you could swap lenses with your friend. You only lose auto focus when using the RB lenses on the RZ.

5. dfgriff57

dfgriff57 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks guitstik. I was unaware that the RZ had auto focus? Found a few flickr groups with a good comparison image wise.

6. John Koehrer

John Koehrer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Autoexposure?

7. dfgriff57

dfgriff57 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I think that is what he meant.

8. guitstik

guitstik Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yeah yeah that's it. I don't have any RZ lenses as all of mine are for the RB so I still do everything manually.

9. dfgriff57

dfgriff57 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    guitstik, do you use a metering prism or separate light meter? Incident or spot metering?

10. jjphoto

jjphoto Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The RZ's a great camera, only a bit too big and heavy to drag around too long or far. That can be offset by carying fewer lenses, or other gear.

The prism finder is nice but heavy. I always prefered to use a handheld meter and the waist level finder which is also easier to focus accurately.

Good luck with it.

JJ

11. bushpig

bushpig Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I don't own the RZ, so I don't wanna say too much about it.

I do own the RB though and love it. I only have the 90mm C lens, but I'm amazed by it. The K/L lenses are supposed to have better coatings than the C lenses, but I'm more than satisfied with them. I didn't know that you could use the RZ lenses on the RB, but if that's so, then I'd personally go for the RB (which I did). However, I don't care for all the electronics, so the RB was a no-brainer for me. That may be different for someone else. I just don't want you to feel that I'm trying to trick you into getting something you're not happy with.

Come to Bakersfield. I'll let you try my RB. I let a flickr contact use it since he was ready to jump to medium format. He originally planned on getting a Pentax 67, but ended up going with the RB. :wink:

Anyways, I think you'll be satisfied with either the RB or RZ after working with 135. It's just a matter of determining what's more suited to your style.

And don't let anyone say you can't hand-hold or shoot street with one. I shoot street with my RB all the time and I only shoot hand-held.

Boo-Ya!

12. guitstik

guitstik Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have the meter prism for the RZ, I think, I get the RZ, RB and 645 confused. I dont have a metered prism for the RB, my 645 has the metered prism and I think my RZ does as well. But the last time I used it I metered with my Weston. Dang, I'm gonna have to check when I get home. Either way, they are all excellent cameras but they are not my main carry cameras and I tend to use them on a tripod most of the time. I am working on a book of historic sites in the county were I live and those are the cameras I am using for that project.

13. dfgriff57

dfgriff57 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hey guys thanks for all the input and advice. I'm liking this site a lot, no one is bashing my head in for asking simple questions, at least simple to me. For the size of the negative, 6x7 versus 35mm format, I'm looking forward to it. There are some great shots on flickr groups, haven't had a chance to peruse this group yet. Again, thanks, and I know where to come when a question pops up.

Bushpig, I'll have to start working out again to handhold that thing. Looks intimidating, which is why I like it.

14. bushpig

bushpig Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I love APUG. It's possibly my favorite forum. Maybe tied with LFF. People on both forums are amazingly polite and incredibly helpful. I love them all.

Since jumping to 6x7 with my Koni-Omega (tragically unused since I got my RB), I don't shoot 135 at all. My poor FM2 and Konica Auto-Reflex are probably lonely and missing my hands.

The RB67 is a little intimidating, but I think once you hold it for just a little while, you'll see it's mostly hearsay and just a bad reputation as far as it's weight. Like I've said, it actually makes hand-holding much easier for me. I'd rather hold the RB than something much lighter. I can get clear shots at very slow shutter speeds with no problem.

15. dfgriff57

dfgriff57 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi bushpig, thanks for the heads up. That's ironic, I have an old koni 200 with the 90mm. It's eat up with fungus, but I can still get a decent image out of it. Needed to upgrade for awhile.

16. dfgriff57

dfgriff57 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks to all those interested, the kit is gone. Traded.

17. Les Sarile

Les Sarile Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Big and heavy is certainly a relative term. Of course the MF camera is big where it counts the most - the film real estate . . . ;-)

[​IMG]

The prism finder is very nice - big and bright, making critical focusing very easy and convenient. And of course Mamiya RZ lenses are about as good as they get.

18. bushpig

bushpig Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    For what?! We (at least me) wanna know what you ended up getting!

19. dfgriff57

dfgriff57 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi bushpig sorry wasn't thinking. :smile: an rb67 pros with a 50mm c lens and a 140 c lens with caps for both body and lens. Wlf, dual cable release, four different filters and 2 backs. It all looks good has new seals and shutters are right on. Could ihave bought the same on fleabay? Maybe! But not without some doubt and to me less perceived loss on trying to sell my gear. I'm trading with a long time member of apug so I feel better about the swap. I'm happy with it.

20. dfgriff57

dfgriff57 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Les that's a great comparison in size. I rarely used the 300 mm I'm trading but it ccertainly added to the weight of a setup. Does anyone have a shot of the rz and rb side by side? The rz looks bigger.

21. Les Sarile

Les Sarile Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    According to the manuals, the bodies are comparable in size but the RB is larger and heavier.
    Body only Width, Height, Length in mm & Weight in grams.
    RB 144 x 104 x 228 1450g
    RZ 108 x 133 x 211 1350g

I also traded a Canon 16-35 L for my RZ setup.

22. dfgriff57

dfgriff57 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks Les, the width is fairly significant in difference. I've comparing the photos on ebay, so I'll have to pay attention to width shots. I can compare with friends RZ when we meet up again. Have a great weekend.

23. Bubba

Bubba Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Wtt to trade 35mm for MF

pm sent..George

24. bushpig

bushpig Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Way to go! I'm proud of you! Seriously though, you're going to love it. Sounds like a great kit.

ebay is okay. You can find great deals on there. More than half of the cameras I use came from ebay. The only one I ever got that had ANY problems was the Koni-Omega Rapid M. The shutter sticks on speeds slower than 1/30, but I live in southern California, so I don't really need those slow speeds too often. Besides, I got the camera for a deal. I took a little risk and it paid off. Maybe someday I'll pay for a CLA, but since I don't really use it, I can't rationalize spending the money right now.

Anyways, keep us posted on your RB. Glad to have another member of the club.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.