X-tol capacity question

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by StigHagen, Nov 6, 2011.

1. StigHagen

StigHagen Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have bought a Jobo 3005 Expert Drum for 8x10 film development. It takes a maximum 1500ml. I like X-tol 1:2 dilution, and according to Kodaks publications you need AT LEAST 100 ml xtol stock to develope 1 8x10 sheet film. In other words diluted 1:2 300 ml pr sheet, with a total of 1500ml, for 5 sheets. That is the maximum of what my drum can take. But is recommended to use with such a tight margin? Is Kodaks recommandation safe enough for me to use, or should I develop less sheets a time and use more developer pr sheet? Im using mostly Kodak and Ilford film.

Thanks

2. Tom Kershaw

Tom Kershaw Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    In my Jobo ATL-2300 I process 5 sheets of 8x10 in 1000ml of XTOL or D-76 (1+1), so developer capacity should not be an issue in this case. Is there a particular reason why you are working with a 1:2 dilution, better acutance?

Tom

3. GeorgesGiralt

GeorgesGiralt Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Hello !
    Kodak also warn against the use of Xtol diluted further than 1+1. So make the first run with test negatives rather than with the negs for the 1,000,000 $ shot ....

4. Michael johnson

Michael johnson Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format

5. Michael johnson

Michael johnson Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I just started using Jobo for developing five 8x10 at a time. Can I use hc110? What developer do you use and what time and concentration? What rotation number on Jobo? Thanks

6. Michael johnson

Michael johnson Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I just started using Jobo to develope 8x10 tri x . Can I use hc110? What developer do you use? What concentration and time got five sheets in one drum? Jobo can take 1000 ml of solution in 8x 10 drum. What speed of rotation do you use? Thanks

7. Michael johnson

Michael johnson Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format

8. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome to APUG.

As a registered member, you are welcome to start your own threads, and this seems to be a perfect question for that thread. Please be sure to use a nice, explanatory thread title like "8x10 Tri-X in a JOBO with HC-110?"

9. Michael johnson

Michael johnson Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I just started using Jobo to develope 8x10 tri x. Can I use hc110? What developer do you use and what concentration and time? What rotation number on Jobo? The drum for five 8x10 film can take 1000 ml only.Thanks

10. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Use XTOL stock solution or replenished XTOL and the drum speed set to '4' instead of 'P'.

11. Huub

Huub Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    It will work out alright, don't worry. I have been using XTOL 1+2 for rotation processing, using some 2500 series tanks and 2509n reels. My experience is that capacity wise there is quite some margin in the Kodak's advise to use at least 100 ml for a sheet of 8x10 - or 4 sheets of 4x5 in my case.
    My main reason for using the 1+2 dillution is to keep developing times above the 5 min level for N-2 developments.

12. Tom Kershaw

Tom Kershaw Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've just logged back into APUG after a few weeks and see this question has come up from a 2011 thread. My concern before was about capacity and also that I had development times dialled in for 1+1 dilution. As the poster above mentions I'm sure there is some margin...

Tom