X700 disappointment, probably not the camera

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by spacer, Dec 30, 2011.

1. spacer

spacer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    When I got my test roll back from CVS, there were spots and artifacts on the photos. I'll scan some in later and post 'em later maybe.
    The marks were about the same with both lenses, IIRC, so I don't think it was the camera or the lenses... I'm thinking it was the equipment
    at the drug store maybe. Tomorrow I'll break out the negatives, give 'em a good wipe with my squeegee, and run a few through my film
    scanner to see how those turn out.

2. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Don't use a squeegee on negatives - water marks and dust are far better than scratches.

3. dynachrome

dynachrome Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    A properly working X-700 is capable of excellent results.

4. nhemann

nhemann Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    With the exception of a few shots, everything I have on here is done with an X-700. Its a great camera.

5. 2F/2F

2F/2F Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    There ya go. A camera could not cause those problems.

6. spacer

spacer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yeah, that's what I figured. Since I used two separate lenses for the test roll, and the contamination showed up clearly anyway, I
    think I'll have to give the Minolta another roll, and take it to a real camera shop.
    I've ranted on and on about folks buying bicycles at big box stores, so I guess I can't really get too mad. What service they do still have
    is getting pretty... casual, anyway. I would absolutely not be surprised to find they weren't keeping their equipment clean, in hopes that it'll all go away soon anyhow.
    Unfortunately, I lost the aperture detent ball for my 50/1.7 lens. I can still use it in "A", but I like to have more control than that.
    Any sources for just one of those, or should I just scavenge one out of a junker lens?

7. Chan Tran

Chan Tran Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Back in the mid 80's I used mostly 1 hr. lab. I never have any problem with them developing my negatives although I did have many problem with the printing. Nowaday, It seems too difficult to find a place that can do the C41 well. I think the problem could be lack of volume.

8. spacer

spacer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That's pretty much it these days. It's so much easier for the employees if you just bring in an SD card and use the photo printer than having to bother with film. I've yet to find a drugstore photo tech who showed any real love for the work.
    At least... for a few years. When I was growing up, Duffy's was a great place to go, just a funky little shop on Main Street, but it was the place to be if you wanted the best prints from your exposed rolls.

I may have to get some color supplies and just try a roll or three myself one of these days.

--on the detent issue... I'm sitting here staring at a ball point pen, wondering if it might be close enough to the right size. Where's my hammer?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2011
  9. mikecnichols

mikecnichols Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I love it.....so, there, now you've met one...lol!

10. dynachrome

dynachrome Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Are you saying that your aperture ring is stuck or is something wrong with the camera body?

11. spacer

spacer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    No, I was taking the lens apart for a bit more cleaning. I retained and set aside the little aperture detent bearing, but when I was putting the lens back together, my fumble fingers lost the bearing. So, now there's no detent in the aperture ring, and it drifts from its setting. It can be locked into place, however, for some of the camera's more automated settings... so it isn't a complete loss. I just want to find a ball and get it back to working properly.
    Camera works fine, though. I have two other lenses, but I rather like 50mm

12. Ric Trexell

Ric Trexell Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've got balls.

Spacer: Years ago I made the mistake of going to National Camera Repair school in Colorado. I bought a bunch of ball bearing balls because as you found out, they tend to vanish to the 4th dimension. A few years ago, some teacher out in North Carolina did exactly the same thing you did with his X-700. He posted a message somewhere and I answered it telling him I had little balls. I didn't know the exact size but sent him four sizes. He fixed it and asked me what I wanted for my troubles. I told him to just post a message in the school paper about how a guy helped him. A few months later, I did a search on my name and up came this article about me giving out my little balls. I contacted him and he said their school paper is now online. I thought that was sort of neat. After all, how many schools now know I have small balls? Anyway, how about you contact me at rictrexell@vbe.com and give my your address and I'll send you my little balls. You can reimburse me for the postage if you want. I have two X-700's and they are a great camera. I bought my first one new in 1985 and it has been in the repair shop once, and I still use it. It has paid for itself many times over just in memories. Anyway, if you can't find a closer source, I can't do this for everybody, but I hate to see a guy lose his balls. Again, the address is rictrexell@vbe.com . Later, Ric.
    P.S. If you are thinking about getting into MF, check out my ad in ebay. It is the Mamiya RB67 Pro S listed under yourbasicdude.

13. spacer

spacer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Will do. I have a couple hanging around, but they're way too big. Got 'em for airplane projects.
    :D

Oy. I've been browsing the 'bay, and glass for this thing is downright *reasonable*!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2012