XA Shutter Button Modification

Discussion in 'Camera Building, Repairs & Modification' started by zsas, Mar 15, 2012.

1. zsas

zsas Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I am not the biggest fan of the XA's shutter button, so when my DVD player broke and I tore it open (like I always do when electronics break), I found these little buttons inside of it. I then desoldered one from the circuit board and took out the XA's shutter botton mechanism and soldered the DVD player's button to the two wires that control the XA's electronic shutter system:
    [​IMG]

Works like a charm, it is much better than the original shutter button and I believe I can hold the camera much more steady now. Cut a hole in some electrical tape and that is what keeps it snug and dry.

[​IMG]

Thought I'd share a mod for all since it seems the XA is all over this forum of late

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2012
  2. Jerevan

Jerevan Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Nice! Looks a bit like the XA1 shutter button. (still desperately trying to resist the urge to buy an XA2...)

3. zsas

zsas Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I am resisting the urge too (want another XA though) one w b/w one for color:blink:

4. EASmithV

EASmithV Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I want one in the first place!

5. jstout

jstout Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    repair option

The button on my XA2 has gone bad, and this may be a great idea to repair the camera. Thanks for taking the time to share this idea, and the photos showing your work. It's a clever and original mod that I had not thought of, and the my camera is not worth sending out for repair, as the repair would be more than a replacement camera, so I'll definitely consider this.

My XA2 can take some awesome pictures, and looking at the Kodachromes next to ones from the OM1n or the Nikon it's hard to tell which is which, quality wise. Sorry, Leica people, but it works great. It needs seals, and it was great until this shutter button problem came up. I can get the seals, of course. Small, handy, and "it's there when you need it." I really miss my XA2, sniffle, sniffle.

6. zsas

zsas Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    If you wish, drop me a PM with your addy and one of my DVD buttons is in the mail for you gratis

7. jstout

jstout Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    repair manual

On the subject of XA repairs, maybe this has been posted a million times before, but anyway, here is a link to a free XA repair manual, in case anyone stumbles across this and says, "Oh, I need to fix mine, too.":

http://www.kyphoto.com/classics/repairmanuals.html

scroll down to Olympus XA, and note the login instructions at the top of the page. A wealth of other repair manuals are there, also (including Rolleiflex TLR, Yashica TLR, and many others).

Jeff

8. zsas

zsas Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    jstout- PM replied, the former DVD >PLAY button will go out in tomorrow's post for ya

9. wblynch

wblynch Member

Shooter:
    127 Format
    This is great. I have a couple of Leica C1 cameras that would be sweet except that their switches have failed. (cheap tin bubble switches)

There are about 4 along the top including the shutter button. I will try this out.

It will look like a porcupine with all those buttons sticking up! Hi-larious. :smile:

10. n17man

n17man Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I love what you have done. I also have a non-functioning shutter on my XA. The switch you installed is a momentary switch. It closes the circuit. Do you have to press it again to release it for the next shot? I.e. Press twice. Just wondering. Fantastic idea though.