Xpan Negative Carriers

Discussion in 'Panoramic Cameras and Accessories' started by david b, Mar 21, 2006.

1. david b

david b Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have an Omega D5 enlarger and I am wondering if there is a "factory" xpan negative carrier for it?

I've made a negative carrier for the Beseler enlarger I use but I am looking for one for the D5.

Thanks,
    david

2. TheFlyingCamera

TheFlyingCamera Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The only factory Xpan carrier I know of is the Beseler one. Which is one reason why I ended up getting a Beseler 45M*** enlarger when I went shopping for a 4x5 enlarger. That and I already had a 23C so my lensboards would interchange.

3. Thomassauerwein

Thomassauerwein Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I'm in the same boat. Got one for the Bessler and made the other.

4. david b

david b Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I guess I will be filing out an Omega 35mm neg carrier. No big deal.

5. agGNOME

agGNOME Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    David, KHB Photografix (http://www.khbphotografix.com/omega/) sells an omega negative carrier for the xpan format:
    #423-399 Hasselblad Xpan format (25x65mm)
    or if you have a 4x5 glass carrier you can use that, though you've probably thought of that.
    Cameron

6. david b

david b Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks Cameron.

I think I have a glass carrier but I have to check and all of my stuff is in boxes as I am moving. (But I will be building a darkroom in two weeks as well as a studio.)

7. agGNOME

agGNOME Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    :wink: Good luck with the move and setting up !

8. david b

david b Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks Cameron.

I am really looking forward to having my own darkroom and studio. I can't wait for the late nights in the darkroom.

9. agGNOME

agGNOME Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Just knocked my schedule out of whack the last two days printing till 8 am , when the sun comes my printing is done. Ah, but the darkness and music are great! Who needs sleep anyway?

10. david b

david b Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Man, I cannot wait.

Although the plumbing bill is gigantic, it will be worth it.

I'll be setting up an IPOD sound system sound I will have 2.6 days of music waiting.

11. Thomassauerwein

Thomassauerwein Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    David, again we are in the same boat. My new space is almost there. All they have left is a bit of flooring and some paint. Brand new darkroom 2 rooms one for production the second is dark with independant stainless sinks for silver and alt. (460 sq ft) My first studio and home mixed with some really cool structural features. It has only taken about a year to get this far and we are only a couple weeks away. Course another delay and I think I'll lose my mind but what the heck there was'nt much there in the first place!

12. barryjyoung

barryjyoung Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    X-pan negative carrier for a customer

I just finished making a neg carrier for a customers Durst 1200 enlarger. He did not want the springs in it like the original and I have not got my anodizing tank set up yet so it is bare aluminum. That inside chamfer on the side opposite the neg stage was a bear.

Barry Young
    Young Camera Company

Attached Files:

13. david b

david b Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I just made one for myself for my Saunders 4550 enlarger. Yes it was a huge pain in the rear. :surprised:

14. David Brown

David Brown Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    David:

I don't have an Xpan, I have a Russian Horizon. There is no carrier for it: 24x56 (or so). I bought a 35mm carrier for $15 on ebay and enlarged the opening for the Horizon's negs. Granted, I have a small home shop (drill press, etc.) and can use a few tools, but it isn't hard and took me, maybe, 30 minutes.

Drill out the bulk of the waste, cut the square corners with a hack saw (or hack saw blade in a jig saw) and file the edges to clean it up. Easy! :wink:

(the other David B.)

15. david b

david b Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Well I did it all with hand tools, twice. It took me longer than 30 minutes but now it is done.

Also, I have decided to use a masked off 4x5 glass carrier for my new enlarger. Yeah, it's expensive but I'd rather do it this way.

16. Richard Wasserman

Richard Wasserman Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Barry, it looks very nice!!

Richard Wassermna

17. barryjyoung

barryjyoung Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Thank you Richard.

Barry

18. aoresteen

aoresteen Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Xpan Solution for Beseler 23C

As I'm planning on getting an Xpan camera soon, I needed an Xpan negative carrier for my Beseler 23C enlarger. But Beseler doesn't make one.
    No problem, I bought a standard 35mm negative carrier off of ebay (8053) for $10 and sent it to SK Grimes. For $65 they machined it out to 24mm x 65mm. They did a super job!

This is cheap considering that the Beseler 4x5 Xpan carrier is $170 from B&H!

http://www.skgrimes.com/

Any enlarger that can do 6x7 and that has a 35mm negative carrier can be modified in this way to handle Xpan negatives.

Attached Files:

19. Fotohuis

Fotohuis Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    In Europe Dunco is making panorama negative carriers for their (6x7cm) enlargers.
    Standard 24x65mm p/n 6958 or p/n 6959 (with AN glas). The last one also works perfect for Horizon 202 negatives 24X58mm.

Robert

20. Esdanitoff

Esdanitoff Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Kaiser do also have an panoramic negative carrier

Greetings

Michel

21. ksmattfish

ksmattfish Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I use an Omega DII and a Beseler 23C. The DII actually came with a 35mm pano carrier someone had custom cut from a regular 35mm carrier, but I like to print the entire frame, so I made neg carriers for my widelux negs out of black matboard. Been using them for years and they work great in either enlarger.

22. Bandicoot

Bandicoot Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ahh - I can hardly think of the darkroom I had in my teens without also thinking of listning to the Friday Rock Show on the radio in there...

Peter

23. Colin Corneau

Colin Corneau Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    This is my first post after joining APUG, and I'm happy it can help someone else.

I have a Widelux F7, and custom-made my own carrier from an Omega 35mm one I picked up cheap on eBay.

I measured out a Widelux neg, carefully marked it out on the carrier, and then took it to my local high school where the metal working teacher was happy to use his plasma torch to cut it out perfectly.
    I then filed it smooth, and used heavy sandpaper (for metal) to make it perfect.

The nice part is I get a nice black border when I print full-frame (which I do on all negs).

Hope this helps - it was ridiculously easy.